• Current Donation Goals

Boogle

Chelsea Reserve & Youth Team

quote:Originally posted by Valky

I saw the first half and thought the number 10 with the shaggy hair looked a bit good.

id="quote">

id="quote">

That was Ricardo Fernandes. It's only a matter of opinion of course but I felt he showed a lot of skills without ever using them to do anything particularly effective. I wasn't too surprised when he was subbed.

hanuma   
quote:Originally posted by Bridgejunky

The main reason for my trip was to get a look at Scott Sinclair but, I'm sorry to say, he was very disapointing. He played all but a few minutes of the game out wide on the left where he struggled to make an impact. I got chatting to some people from Bristol, including a school mate of Scott's, and they were addament that he was being played out of position and that he has to be played through the middle to get the best out of him.

id="quote">

id="quote">

He has been played out wide ever since he started for the reserves a month or so ago. He has done well, but it is clearly not his best position and certainly at reserve level opposition teams started to get clued up about the danger he posed and have marked him heavily.

quote:there are a number of better prospects in the squad than Scott.

id="quote">

id="quote">

Showing exactly why this viewing is largely a poor indicator.

Shaun Cummings

Has had an average season at best and is very inconsistent at all levels.

Jack Watkins

Watkins hasn't played England level for a while I don't think and it was his hold up play that has generally been why he hasn't been so succesful with Chelsea this season. A decent finisher, not much more, but hopefully this game demonstrated progress.

Dean Furman

Furman has been a standout for the youth team, a solid player for the reserves and had a brilliant pre season youth tournament against some of the finest youth teams in Europe. The fact that the Old Firm are showing interest at this early age is a major credit to the lad and a great indicator of his talents.

Harry Worley Ryan Bertrand

Both new imports this season. Worley being the more impressive at youth level, but both doing very well. Worley is an incredible physical specimen for his age. I have spoken to someone who works with England who says Bertrand is close to the same ability Ashley Cole had at the same age.

quote:Sam Hutchinson at right back looked the more solid defensively. He was quick, strong in the tackle, good in the air and composed in possession. Particularly impressive was the authoritative way he talked to and organised the players in front of him. I liked the look of this lad and, based on this showing, I'd say he has a chance.

id="quote">

id="quote">

Every game (I and others have seen) he is exactly as you describe him. Very impressive 'intangibles' for one so young.

Liam Bridcutt.

Very interesting. Has been a quiet performer in general. If he played as well as you have said then I am impressed.

hanuma   

Ricardo Fernandes has looked a superb technician at times for the youth side, but being small and Portuguese he has inevitably had massive difficulties to overcome and I feel he has progressed well considering. Jimmy Smith has been a regular hero for the reserve side,m very rarely playing for the youth team anymore. He is vastly more experienced than Fernandes and is probably at a level where he is wasted in the reserves.

Fabio Ferreira Not the fastest, but I think you underestimate his pace. He has skinned several players at reserve level in his first few games and pace is something which can be worked on. More important is decision making and knowing when to cross or pass, something that made Beckham so succesful as a right winger for Utd.

Valky   

I found the match pretty tedious to be honest overall.

Anyway, let's celebrate an improved youth team!

Very interesting information hanuma, thank you. As I said all my observations are based on this one viewing and have to be read in that light.

I'm a bit disapointed to learn that Jack Watkins has not been at this level for most of the season. Certainly in this cameo appearence he didn't put a foot wrong.

I'm very surprised about what you say of Dean Furman because he really didn't impress me at all. It wasn't only that his passes weren't finding their targets but also that his mechnics were unimpressive. The Old Firm interest is a point in his favour but that has to be set against the fact that, despite his having had a standout season, our club is releasing him.

The thought that Ryan Bertrand is aproaching a similar level to that Ashley Cole displayed at the same age is tremendously encouraging.

I wish you'd seen Liam Bridcutt's display so that we could 'calibrate' our assessments. He was quietly impressive. He wasn't beating people, floating 40 yarders to the wingers, or breaking late into the box. (Although with the passes and the chip I describe above he did demonstrate a cutting edge to his game.) Instead he did the simple things brilliantly, breaking things up then using the ball without fuss.

I loved the way he used his technical skills. For example there were two or three high class chest traps and some great close control under pressure. Most pleasingly, instead of then getting carried away and trying something spectacular, he just gave good clean possession to a teammate and supported play again. It was masterly and made Liam the most impressive player on the park by some distance in my opinion.

Juni   

The season is done, and as far as I can work out, Southampton claim the title on goal difference:

Group A - As at: Sun 07 May 06 19:40 

P  W D L  F  A  GD PTS  

Southampton Yth 28 17 5 6 72 35 +37  56  

Chelsea Yth     28 17 5 6 45 23 +22  56  

Still, very much a fantastic achievement for a team of mainly first years. Hopefully they can build on it over the summer for next season.

dooder12   

WE brought in some more talented youngsters:

1. Miroslav Stoch, 16 year old Slovakian u-17 second striker/Wing Forward (signed from Slovakian club FC Nitra after he broke into their first team)

2. Sergio Tejera, 15 year attacking midfielder signed from Espanyol, apparently he is a gem, left-footed Fabregas.

3. Clive Clifford- a young Irish left-winger

ChAoS   

dooder12, where did you get the Miroslac Stoch news from? sounds interesting.

We will also signed another serbian defender after next season. A young talented centre-half.

dooder12   

Miroslav's transfer was mentioned on the FC Nitra offical site and our interest in him was mentioned on uefa: http://www.uefa.com/competitions/Under17/n...sId=406368.html

Slobodan Rajkovic is the 16 year old Serbian defender we signed. He currently plays a few levels up with the u-20 team. He will finish the 2006/07 season with his team OFK Belgrade and then join us during the 2007/08 season.