• Current Donation Goals

Boogle

Chelsea Reserve & Youth Team

Well I seem to be in a minority on the implications of a loan to a lower league team.

I guess my main point is not the standard of the games relative to reserve matches, but the standard of the training. Are we really sure that youngsters in the first team squad at Bournemouth will be learning more than they would at Cobham. I doubt it.

> What do you find strange about players going out on loan? Most players go out on loan early in their careers to gain proper match experience.

Most players, sure, most successful players, No.

Most youngsters who go from PL club juniors to PL club first team regular don't get loaned. e.g. - Beckham yes, loaned to Preston, but Giggs, Scholes, Butt, P & G Neville, all no (unless you count practice games organised for Fergie's benefit by England).

As for the Terry and Lampard comparisons. Lampard, although just 17 and on loan to a Division 1 club, did go on to make his PL debut for West Ham that year (proving himself away from dad and uncle may have been important too). I doubt if our 17 year olds are that close to their PL debuts.

JT has already played 90 mins of a European cup winners cup quarter final the season before he went to Forest as a 20 year old, and Forest were a mid-table Championship team.

Zola may have played for clubs I haven't heard of, but everyone knows he learnt loads by being Maradona's understudy at Napoli.

quote:Originally posted by Droy was my hero

Giggs, Scholes, Butt, P & G Neville, all no (unless you count practice games organised for Fergie's benefit by England).

id="quote">

id="quote">Everybody knows those United players are the exception to the rule and that everybody ridiculed Fergie for pushing untried youngsters into his team.

I don't think you can cite that generation of United players as being the norm.

quote:Originally posted by Droy was my hero

Zola may have played for clubs I haven't heard of, but everyone knows he learnt loads by being Maradona's understudy at Napoli.

id="quote">

id="quote">Well what impact playing in Napoli's reserves had on Zola’s career can’t ever be proved; neither can the effect on his development of playing in Italy’s lower leagues.

> I don't think you can cite that generation of United players as being the norm.

So what is your point? You are the man trying to prove something. Saying my evidence is untypical just demonstrates the lack of evidence on either side. Thankyou.

321TedRogers > Well what impact playing in Napoli's reserves had on Zola’s career can’t ever be proved; neither can the effect on his development of playing in Italy’s lower leagues.

But you are happy to argue:

> Most players go out on loan early in their careers to gain proper match experience. Competitive Championship football is definitely more useful to a player’s development than reserve games, so is division one football for that matter.

and

> Of course the loan moves are good for our players

I saw Jimmy Smith's goals on the Sunday Championship summary. The second was just a bundle into the net, but the first was controlled on his chest then volleyed into the far corner from outside the area. Can't knock it.

I'd look at the ages of the players being loaned out as an indication of something. Danny Hollands is at Bournemouth and is 21 (yesterday as it happens). Grant is 19, but in a low division team. The other two lads are 17 and up in Div 1. I thnk it's all a function of age and stage of development. I take the point about knowing how Bournemouth and QPR will treat them. I wouldn't have any worries about Jim Smith at QPR but I'm not holding my breath with Kevin Bond!

In any case, as I've said before, if developing kids are going to just turn up to win in the Reserves they'll learn little or nothing at the time they can learn fastest. In terms of development it's little better than worthless. By releasing the best of them it weakens the reserves and youth sides and forces the ones left to compete far harder for their results. That can only be good.

Man U have 15 players out on loan at the moment. We need to be doing the same and for similar reasons. If only we had someone the standard of the Watford keeper who could be loaned out to a PL side. Not yet, but I can well imagine one or two being at that point for next season.

DP89   

> Danny Hollands is at Bournemouth and is 21 (yesterday as it happens).

Danny isn't on loan there any more is he? Signed for them in the summer I think...

Is Grant still a chelsea player? I hope atleast one of either Smith or Mancienne make it through to the Chelsea first team. I believe Mancinne has a better chance as he is a CB! Scott Sinclair will be next out on loan I reckon!

dooder12   

Grant has no chance. Cork and Diarra play his position and our better than him. He is too reckless and he was loaned out immediatley to a League 2 club while Cork and Betrand were loaned to a League 1 side and are also 2 years younger than him.

SydneyFC   

Droy, normally I would agree with you, but Bertrand and Cork have been our best players in defense this season.

Dooder's right- it's about getting match day experience, the responsibilities of being with a team, team mates, and the life of a footballer, as well as gaining experience playing against rougher opponents. Loans help players come out of the little cocoon they live in at their training grounds. It's now their responsiblity to keep up their fitness, and go to training, not Mum or Ruud Kaiser nagging them on the phone.

It is quite a gamble indeed- the standard of training pitches/facilities is WAY below that of Cobham, the same applies to the majority of the Premiership- but the match-day experience is invaluable and certainly worth more.

DP89   

Youth team back on track this week end after two consecutive defeats.

An away win at Norwich, who we played and beat at Carrow Road in last years FA Youth Cup. Sam Hutchinson played and scored the winner.

Click here for TOCFCWS match report.