• Current Donation Goals

Boogle

Chelsea Reserve & Youth Team

Sir   

I am pretty annoyed that we are losing Nouble at such a young age. Tejara moving is a blow but not so much as Nouble in my opinion.

Juni   
I am pretty annoyed that we are losing Nouble at such a young age. Tejara moving is a blow but not so much as Nouble in my opinion.

Tejera's a much, much better player and has the potential to be better throughout his career too.

lazydude   
It's simple, but absurd. You buy them on the absolutely minuscule chance that they develop into a world class player (the sort we need). There may be other considerations, but that's the basic. It's a bonus if they turn out to be half decent squad players somewhere along the line, but that takes as much patience from the player as it does from the club. The question shouldn't be 'why don't we play our 18 and 19 year olds' it should be 'how many 18 and 19 year olds are there in the world that are good enough to play for us?' You can probably count them on one hand.

Well then why don't we just dispose of the youth academy and buy 18 and 19 year olds good enough to play for us?

It's not the question of who is good enough - it's about who we make good enough for our first team. But anyway, my point was not about our first team. It seems absurd that we buy a young player for some £3m and then sell him for less than half of that even before he has had any first team chances or any real chance to prove himself. The fact is that we don't trust our youth, and that is the only reason why none of our academy players ever breaks into the first team. If it continues like this we should just forget about our whole youth policy.

Sir   

He's OK but he's no Borini.

[/quote

Borini and Nouble are not the same type of player though...

dooder12   
Tejera's a much, much better player and has the potential to be better throughout his career too.

How do you wager Mellis's chances of taking up the mantle vacated by Tejera? I'm glad Chelsea put in the option to buy Tejera back.

ChelC   
The question shouldn't be 'why don't we play our 18 and 19 year olds' it should be 'how many 18 and 19 year olds are there in the world that are good enough to play for us?' You can probably count them on one hand.

The question shouldn't be 'why don't we play our 18 and 19 year olds' most definetely.

But asking ourselves 'how many 18 and 19 year olds are there in the world that are good enough to play for us? serves no purpose in my opinion.

I mean if the answer is 10, 20 30, or 40, how does that affect us. if it serves any purpose, it shouldn't be the excuse for us not to give the 18 and 19 year olds we have any chances. By saying only 5 under 20 year old players in the world can play for us makes it easier for us to statistically say since there are only a few, thaen there wouldnt be many in the academy good enough.

The question in my opinion is Why are our 18 & 19 years olds not good enough? The club need to make a list of the possible reasons and take things from there. But I think it will be a failure of a significant scale if we can't get players through the academy into the first team with the resources that have been poured into the project in recent years.

yugam   
I'm glad Chelsea put in the option to buy Tejera back.

do you have any link for that mate??

Edited by yugam

I personally think that hoping to get a player into the first team from the youth team is a step to far, surely the objective should be to get them into the squad to take players squad places like ferreria, belletti and pizzaro? if they are not given the chance to be backup players in positions we are strong and only need backup player to play intermitantly, then they wont be able to stake a claim for a first team starter place, we need to give our best youngsters a chance to show they can make the step up into just being in the squad let alone playing week in week out, looks like mancienne might be the first to make the step up to full time squad member and if it goes well then it may lead to others getting a shot at a squad place.

ish   

in terms of youth many players dont get real first team shots till they 20-21. 22 I think the golden age when a player either shows the ability or doesn't. By that age they basically fully grown up, they have been training for around 10 years and need to be able to show that yes I am good enough for the first team.

Now how many players are willing to wait till 22 to get their chance at the first team? Not many, at clubs like west ham you might start earlier because they have less quality you need to beat.

The reason nouble has gone is because borini, di santo, sturridge, mellis to an extent and possibly another young striker are all ahead of him. His chances would be limited.

I hope him the best at WHU at least we have connections there. Zola could turn him into a legend.