• Current Donation Goals

Boogle

Chelsea Reserve & Youth Team

Unfortunely we lost 2-0 at Anfield this morning in the Youth Cup. It's a real shame to go out so early again but at least it was against a strong side.

Karan   

Yep, 2-0 loss to Liverpool. They'll now face either Coventry or Reading in the next round.

olee22   
Unfortunely we lost 2-0 at Anfield this morning in the Youth Cup. It's a real shame to go out so early again but at least it was against a strong side.

OMG..I really expected our youth team to win the FA youth cup this season..

It's a shame..

We beat them 1:0 early in the season..

rwhite   
They've brought in a new generation while they're very young. Too young to use at the moment. We'll have above average youth in a few years, so I'd just wait for the problem to fix itself.

Agree.

My understanding is that the majority of our reserves are youth team players. Claudio wasn't interested in developing the your team and it has only really been since Jose took over that anything has happened. We appeared to get rid of a lot of our reserve players who weren't considered future 1st team material and the ones that are the future of Chelsea are around the 16 to 18 year old mark.

You are going to put a youth team like Arsenal's in place in 2 years. I reckon you have to be looking at 5 years before we really start to gain the benefits of the system.

JT must have been around 20 before he really became a 1st team fringe player. Rooney is probably the only 17 year old in the last 5 years that could be even considered good enough for the Chelsea 1st team.

I think we have a bright future with our youth but it will be a few years before we are bringing forward more thna the odd one ot two. Ben Sahar (17), Scott Sinclair (17) and Michael Woods (16) will hopefully feature next year in a few more games.

cechmate   
Youth team lost 2-0 yesterday at Liverpool

http://www.chelseafc.com/xxchelsea180706/I.../list_2209129_4

Shame really, the team seems to have hit something of a lull after such an impressive start to the season.

I expect a number of reserves/youth team players to go out on loan now.

Yeh I agree. After the FA youth cup is finished, there's not much left to play for. We know the club don't really think too highly of the reserve/youth team leagues so I expect quite a few loans now.

Juni   

As per my post last weekend, James Simmonds has officially joined Cardiff on loan for the rest of the season.

I also randomly discovered he's a Spurs fan from a comment he left on myspace, which a load of the Chelsea Youths are on.

My understanding is that the majority of our reserves are youth team players. Claudio wasn't interested in developing the your team and it has only really been since Jose took over that anything has happened. We appeared to get rid of a lot of our reserve players who weren't considered future 1st team material and the ones that are the future of Chelsea are around the 16 to 18 year old mark.

Claudio wasn't interested? What choice did we have when we only had the most embarassing of facilities for the first team at Harlington? It only started two years ago because Cobham only opened two years ago, but it was bought and the work started on it in Abramovich's first year, with Claudio still in place.

Yes, we culled the reserves who were at the only level we could accomodate. That's where the 2-3 year gap is. That's the cause of the whole current situation. Accelerated learning is one thing, but I don't think anyone's quite sussed out accelerated aging.

The stats highlight the fact that few players from the youth system have made a significant impact at the big four clubs over the last ten years. It seems somewhat strange to me that Chelsea have no centrebacks in their youth system who can step into the first team in the event of an injury/suspension crisis...

It does because you don't know anything. Stick with your own club. We've got a very good reason why we're at where we're at. What Man U's excuse is at Carrington, Liverpool's at Mellwood or Arsenal's at London Colney or wherever it is now, I don't know.

This method of promotion into the first team is often how a youngster makes a debut...

Is it really? Well, thanks for giving us the benefit of your insight. I don't know where we'd be without you.

I haven't used this one for a long time, but it's always worth a run out: If you don't know anything about us, don't say anything.

Do you expect Simmonds to be back? At 19, I'd doubt it very much. A loan and getting in the public eye gives us the option of a fee.
Bloody hope he doesn't come back. Prime piece of dead wood if ever there was one. Amazed he wasn't booted in the summer.

Fee? Anyone got change of 10p?