• Current Donation Goals

Boogle

Chelsea Reserve & Youth Team

cechmate   

Michael Woods scored for England U17's in their 5-0 win.

And yes very strange news about the contract offer to Grant.. I can't say he's stood out in League 2. And if he comes back, he will no longer be considered a reserve team player, so I really don't understand how he can fit in the first team along with the likes of Lampard, Ballack, Maka, Essien, Diarra, Mikel etc!!!

syza   
Michael Woods scored for England U17's in their 5-0 win.

And yes very strange news about the contract offer to Grant.. I can't say he's stood out in League 2. And if he comes back, he will no longer be considered a reserve team player, so I really don't understand how he can fit in the first team along with the likes of Lampard, Ballack, Maka, Essien, Diarra, Mikel etc!!!

The scouts we've had watching him must have liked something. My guess would be that he'll be on loan to a Championship team next season to see if he can cut it at a higher level.

hanuma   

I've heard some mixed reports about Grant at Wycombe, but mostly very good.

I can't see him ever being good enough for us, but I have a hunch (and that's all) that we've signed him for two reasons:

1. He's a reasonably valuable commodity at that level, we can make some money off of him...not much, but some.

2. Ruud Kaiser, Arnesen et al. have all made the point that the process of succeeding with us as a youngster is a long one.....cutting him loose now wouldn't give the right message to players who think they have until their early 20's to make it.

Have we offered him a new contract. All I saw was that he claims Chelsea intend to offer him one soon. Not the same thing at all. In fact a cynic might just assume he doesn't even have an agent, let alone a contract.

2. Ruud Kaiser, Arnesen et al. have all made the point that the process of succeeding with us as a youngster is a long one.....cutting him loose now wouldn't give the right message to players who think they have until their early 20's to make it.

Nevertheless we have thrown out established full internationals at 22, like Robert Huth, so judging a player who has managed on sub appearance for us by the age of 20 can't be too hard. 20/21 and maximum 22 is the traditional chucking out stage for the better youngsters.

Svend   

Maybe just a stab at the Grant new contract "if true of course". Maybe Chelsea think they need a player *how to describe* like Motta?

A player who will break it up, foul, get that yellow card, put his foot on the game, break up opposition play.

You proberly think that makes no sense because we have Makelele(Of course Diarra who replace +Mikel it seems) who is the best in that DM role.

But maybe we need a hard nut like Grant , does anyone know what I mean? :).

Edited by Svend

Juni   

Chelsea 3-0 Milton Keynes Dons

Pretty much a stroll for Chelsea today against statistically the worst team in the Academy Leagues. MK Dons have only picked up 7 points this season and it's quickly evident that they're well out of their depth. A strong Chelsea team was put out, without some of the England youngsters but with the likes of Hutchinson and Ferreira, reserve regulars.

It was pretty much all Chelsea, took them a while to get going in the difficult windy and increasingly cold conditions. Sam Hutchinson had an early header disallowed from an inswinging Tejera free kick for offside. However, it was a set piece that did put Chelsea ahead. Tejera swung over a corner and Carl Magnay met it firmly in the middle of the box and crashed in a header. MK Dons couldn't cope, and Chelsea hit the bar a few minutes later. Fabio Ferreira went on a 60 yard driving run past their left winger and put over a cross to the edge of the box. Tejera met it with a flying header, the ball hit the bar and went over with the goalkeeper rooted. Shortly before half time Hutchinson had another disallowed from a Tejera set piece, one which caught a massive gust of wind and left Hutch with an open goal. Offside was called again, but the team were adamant Hutchinson started in line with the wall, which was deeper than MK's line.

The second came ten minutes into the second half. Hutchinson had the ball just inside the MK half, and ignored easier options to clip a lovely ball over the top through to Morten Nielsen. He remained composed and cut it back to Lee Sawyer, who sent it towards goal. It took a deflection and nestled in the corner. It was all fairly easy, Chelsea added a third after a goalmouth scramble from a corner, Sam Hutchinson scoring from close range to finally get his goal. Nick Hamann had no more than one serious save to make.

A strong Chelsea team would be expected to find it easy against this MK side but credit has to go to a few for outstanding performances. Hutchinson was classy at the back at a level clearly too easy for him now. Bridcutt and Sawyer were excellent in midfield, tenacious, box to box, always dictating the play. Fabio Ferreira was very good, and what was striking about him is his physical stature, he's not your archetypical winger. Morten Nielsen played the target man role very well again, improving in areas the staff are looking for him to.

Team: Hamann, Cummings, Magnay, Hutchinson, Hurrell (Bird), Bridcutt ©, Sawyer, Tejera (Hibbert), Ferreira, Stoch (Saarelma), Nielsen

Goals: Magnay (2), Sawyer (1), Hutchinson (2)

Booked: None

Wow, what a strong team we put out, hey Juni. Hutchinson, Bridcutt, Ferreira and Stoch have all been regulars at reserve team level. Why hasn't Hutchinson made one of England's youth squads? Seems crazy considering he appears to have excelled at reserve team level this season.

Juni   

Hutch is in the England u18 squad, they play Holland on Tuesday. He's one of four Chelsea players in it, with Scott Sinclair, Jack Cork, and Lee Sawyer.

The u17s has Ofori, Woods, and Taiwo, who all missed today's game because they played last night in Bosnia (5-0 win, Woods scored), and the u19s has Mancienne.