Lucas

John Terry

12,087 posts in this topic

I will be very surprised if Carvalho starts tomorrow. He has only played two 45 minutes in pre-season and Gallas looked his usual solid self against Zaragova. Hopefully Bridge starts, but there are slight questions over his fitness, so I wouldn't be surprised if Baba got the nod.

Ferreira, Gallas, Terry, Bridge

I read a Carvalho interview in the portuguese press yesterday and he's not expecting to start. He says he'll be ready though if he does.

Kozak, in pure footballing terms you're probably right, but I think we've all come to the conclusion from our diferrent starting points that a big part of the match won't have a lot to do with football. It'll have aggression and intimidation and it'll need someone to compete physically and keep their head. JT is ideal.

A thought's just crossed my mind: has anyone ever seen JT lose his temper? I can't remember a single occasion.

Did Gallas play poorly vs Arsenal last season? I only remember him shutting out Henry, beating him to every ball - but I only saw 3 of the 5 Arsenal games, one of which Gallas didn't play. That said, I think JT and Carvalho is the right choice, and I think that's what Mourinho will do.

I think JT has to start, not only because of his playing attributes, but because he is a real leader. If you think back a few years, despite Di Matteo, Poyet, Deschamps et al being around, it wasn't just because Wisey was a good player he was an automatic selection. His intensity and leadership was also invaluable. I think the same selection ideas have to be applied with JT, unless he is in bad form (which he isn't).

Carvalho should play becuase he is class. He is quick, strong in the air, good technique on the ground. I think we all agree there. One argument for selecting Gallas ahead of him is that we shouldn't give Carvalho a 'baptism of fire'. Man U is a big game, but do you seriously think that is going to worry a bloke who in the past 6 months has played in the Euro Final and the Champions League final, as well as a bunch of high pressure lead-up games including a 2-leg CL tie against Man U?

it's gotta be Gallas for today, with a new keeper likely to be in we don't need 2 new defenders in front of him. J.M will know it will take a while to instill his way of thinking through the team so keeping the defence consistent is vital to start the season.

quote:Originally posted by Harry Sideras

[br]Kozak, in pure footballing terms you're probably right, but I think we've all come to the conclusion from our diferrent starting points that a big part of the match won't have a lot to do with football. It'll have aggression and intimidation and it'll need someone to compete physically and keep their head. JT is ideal.

A thought's just crossed my mind: has anyone ever seen JT lose his temper? I can't remember a single occasion.

id="quote">

id="quote">

Harry,

I just finish watching my 2003/4 season on VHS and if you have oportunity to watch that video,please do . I like attitude of JT , he show us a caracter , but we are now speak about world famous Chelsea . He must improve his game if he wants to be world class player . He was poor , eufemism , at most important game in history of our club , Monaco , game 1. He was very insecure against Arsenal in every goddamn game last season we loose. Great players shows their "greatness" in big games , not in training sessions with wolves , Portsmouth , etc.

I wish him all the best , he really is a great person and devoted Chelsea fan and captain , but he must show me more in playing against big names .

Maybe he can start do it today .

C`mon Blues !

quote:Originally posted by Kozak

[br]

Originally posted by Harry Sideras

[br]He must improve his game if he wants to be world class player . He was poor , eufemism , at most important game in history of our club , Monaco , game 1. He was very insecure against Arsenal in every goddamn game last season we loose. Great players shows their "greatness" in big games , not in training sessions with wolves , Portsmouth , etc.

id="quote">id="quote">

Maybe he was poor in the Monaco away game because he was covering Desaiilys a**se and couldnt quite cope with the Monaco frontline on his own. Oh sorry, he had Parker and then Huth at RB to help!!!! get off JT's back, he may not be world class but he'll do me as a CFC CB and captain. Has anyone else suggested Gallas/Carvalho?

quote:Originally posted by Crowey

[br]

quote:Originally posted by Kozak

[br]

Originally posted by Harry Sideras

[br]He must improve his game if he wants to be world class player . He was poor , eufemism , at most important game in history of our club , Monaco , game 1. He was very insecure against Arsenal in every goddamn game last season we loose. Great players shows their "greatness" in big games , not in training sessions with wolves , Portsmouth , etc.

id="quote">id="quote">

Maybe he was poor in the Monaco away game because he was covering Desaiilys a**se and couldnt quite cope with the Monaco frontline on his own. Oh sorry, he had Parker and then Huth at RB to help!!!! get off JT's back, he may not be world class but he'll do me as a CFC CB and captain. Has anyone else suggested Gallas/Carvalho?

id="quote">id="quote">I have suggested Gallas/Carvalho in certain matches.

Maybe you should take your JT glasses off! JT was beaten by Morientes in BOTH legs of the CL semi. JT's task is to do *his* job first and foremost and not someone else's at the expense of his own --anyone who did someone else's job while neglecting their own should expect a reprimand at minimum. If you're not going to present rational arguments as to why Kozak is mistaken then there is no way to have an intelligent debate --this is the *intelligent* forum after all.

It should be possible, on this forum, to rationally and critically discuss the value any player brings to the side -this includes JT & Frank -without being shouted down.

quote:Originally posted by Nilesh Desai

I have suggested Gallas/Carvalho in certain matches.

Maybe you should take your JT glasses off! JT was beaten by Morientes in BOTH legs of the CL semi. JT's task is to do *his* job first and foremost and not someone else's at the expense of his own --anyone who did someone else's job while neglecting their own should expect a reprimand at minimum. If you're not going to present rational arguments as to why Kozak is mistaken then there is no way to have an intelligent debate --this is the *intelligent* forum after all.

id="quote">

id="quote">

The thread was titled Terry's partner VERSUS UTD. I asked had anyone else suggested Gallas/Carvalho. I'm pleased you've suggested them for other games.

As for the rest of your post, Terry's performance against Monaco AWAY (as was specified) was affected by his trying to cover for Desailly who was woeful IMO. If you've ever played in defence you'd know when one player is consistently beaten (for pace and or positionally) it disrupts the whole backline as players try to cover for the deficiencies (the Charlton game last Christmas is another example). The situation was made worse with Ranieri's tinkering which left first Parker then Huth at Right Back. Maybe JT didn't just sit back and look after his "job", but as he was unable to rely on Desailly to do his, it adversely affected his game as it resulted in him getting pulled out of position. That is a rational argument IMO. I also don't believe he was "insecure" (in what respect!) in EVERY game we lost against Arsenal last year IMO. No specifics given just a general criticism. I agreed he is not world class, but I wouldn't swap him. What he lacks in pace he makes up for in physical presence, positioning, a cool head and enthusiasm. How is "poor" or "insecure" a critical analysis for discussion? Feel free to knock JT but if I don't agree I'll say so. That is a debate Nilesh, what the "intelligent" forum is for. No one is shouting anyone down, argue JT lacks pace, I'll agree, but not bag him for a result I don't believe was his fault, or accuse him of being "insecure".

Anyway, I'll keep my JT glasses on thanks, was as impressive as usual against the Mancs, now on to Brum.

quote:Originally posted by Harry Sideras

[br]Kozak, in pure footballing terms you're probably right, but I think we've all come to the conclusion from our diferrent starting points that a big part of the match won't have a lot to do with football. It'll have aggression and intimidation and it'll need someone to compete physically and keep their head. JT is ideal.

id="quote">

id="quote">

When he was playing for England Under 21's, he got p****d off with a player from the other team and was head to head ready to fight. Then he got sent off for a rough tackle on the guy. But thats about the only time.