Lucas

John Terry

12,138 posts in this topic

If only football was only about football... B^)

I'm not going to discuss technique because JT comes in 3rd - no dispute with me. I'm also not going to argue that many times last year JT was the final man beaten when we conceded goals, because I also recognise that to be true in a lot of cases.

The question I am going to put out there is to ask why JT was the last man on those occasions? Character, determination and responsibility are pretty hard things to define ahead of time - you know it when you see it - but there were times he was the last man because he was the guy making those last ditch tackles when everyone else was beaten.

The accompanying point to make is also that he was the first man in on a load of tackles and got in so early and with such commitment that a danger didn't arise in the first place.

Count all the chances the opposition had. That question is easily answerable with a bit of work.

Now count all the chances they didn't have. That's trickier, but put JT as your answer and I think you might get a fair proportion of the marks for that exam-type question.

I think Crowey makes the best point when he talks about actually playing the game rather than theorising or looking at technical qualities. We talked earlier about the choice between Carvalho and Gallas, but I wonder if we asked each of them who they'd prefer to play with whether they'd actually pick JT himself in spite of knowing the qualities of each other.

My apologies to Crowey, I obviously read you wrong mate. I have no problems with people defending Terry, he happens to be my second favourite player after Super Frank. The main point I wanted to make was that we should strive to avoid curtailing debate on the merits of any player's presence in the side, be it JT or FL --I.e. there should be no Sacred Cows.

I am delighted, but unsurprised, by JT's fine display against Man U. He always does well against RVN, Shearer, Beattie, Smith etc. The strikers he has problems with are people like Owen, Defoe, Reyes etc.

JM has already shown that he is true to his word --performance in training and pre-season matters --in how he will judge players and decide who should play. By choosing Smertin and Cech a message has been sent to the whole squad: reputations and past performances matter little, if you show him enough in training and when you get on the pitch, he will start you. Conversely, current starters are on notice, only performance will ensure their continued presence in the team.

In fairness to all, Frank got a pretty low rating for Sunday, not because he played especially badly compared to everyone else but because he played badly compared to the lofty expectations we have of him.

Frank was pretty average but as you say Harry its probably as much to do with our expectations. Wouldve been nice if he'd taken hold of the game as he did some last season. Then again we dont know what instructions he was playing to either so its a bit early to criticise I suppose.

On Carvalho, he looked very classy for the short time he was on. Good anticipation and a few neat passes. Although it was only a cameo it bodes well for the rest of the year, pressure will certainly be on JT/WG to hold their form.

IMO it had to be Gallas, and it was. Made sense because JM was very unlikely to try a new pairing, particularly with a new keeper in place. Having said that, Carvalho's "cameo" was pretty impressive, too.

What it really comes down to in the end, is that we have 3 top-drawer central defenders, who each add something different to the mix. Personally, I've never seen a defender (central or, otherwise) who never made a mistake. Maldini would be the closest to that ideal, but even he made a few "howlers" in his time. Sometimes it's the pressure; sometimes it comes down to the quality of your opponent; sometimes you just have one of those days! Players deserve to be judged on the whole season, not just a game here and there.

Did anyone watch the weekend review phone-in on Chelsea TV last night. If so can they remember the amazing John Terry chant from it that a caller sang on the show, which Neil Barnett made him repeat 4 times. It was to the tune of those vieira and forlan chants at man u and those cheating gooners. (ie: John Terry o-o-oh-oh john Terry o-o-oh-oh) and then came the lyrics. It was a great chant but my memory has lost me. Can some one please please reply to this because it was a great chant and the only ever really good Terry chant we have ever had. It would be class to get it going at the palace match 2nite or even at the Bridge against the Scummers at the weekend

Yes, I heard it, I have to say respect to the guy for singing it on T.V (he didn't have the a wonderful voice!) and it was a very good chant, I wonder how long it took him to think of.

How did it go? I think it was something like this...

JT oh oh oh, JT oh oh oh,

He stands at six foot three, he plays for Chelsea

He plays in royal blue....

I can't remember anymore.

Well, I didn't personally see it last night, but because of the attributes that were used (his height), could it be something like this?.....

John Terry oh oh oh, John Terry oh oh oh,

He stands at six foot three, he plays for Chel-sea

John Terry oh oh oh, John Terry oh oh oh,

He plays in Royal Blue, he's got a size 10 shoe

lol, added that end bit myself obviously, but I agree, it would be nice to get a proper song going for JT. He's our new rock in defence

Yeah we definitely need a song but I wouldn't say he's our new rock in defence he was definitely better than Marcel and Gallas last season!

And long may his rock form continue!!!

lol nice guess linton.it went

He stands at six foot three, he plays for Chelsea

He plays in royal blue

he's chelsea through and through

JT oh oh oh, JT oh oh oh

I like this tune and would love to see it started up at a few matches.what does anyone else think?