• Current Donation Goals

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lucas

John Terry

blakey   

Terry's game is all about tough tackling,winning headers, imposing his presence on forwards and generaly no nonsense play. he reads the game well and has good skill which is a bonus in his position. by playing him sweeper would mean he wouldn't be marking anyone and personally I'd rather have Terry marking the opposition forwards than playing a role where he's going to sweep round defense and play a few 50 yard balls every now and again (frank lebouf would have made a good sweeper)

perkster   

Using a sweeper also ruins off-side traps and can let people in behind very easily, probably not a good system for chelsea or for England.

Didn't ruud gullit play a kinda sweeper role for chelsea at one stage?

quote:Originally posted by Pete Bull

[br]Talking of Bobby Moore, did you know one of his middle names was Chelsea. Nice bit of trivia for everyone, just for that pub quiz that you may be going to at the weekend!

id="quote">

id="quote">Bob Wilson's middle name is Primrose! (I think that's quite well known though)

Jim   

I don't think JT would enjoy playing sweeper as he likes and thrives on the physical contact of his game, he likes to be the one who challenges on goal kicks etc whilst Billy tidies up any flick ons with the pace he has.

That's good Rachel, I like Ivanhoe Heskey, or Rodney Charlton Trotter.

Scrim   

A sweeper can have different styles. I dont think Terry (or anyone else in the world at the moment) could possibly play an attacking role like Beckenbauer. The Kaiser had a lot more going on than an ability to read the play.

Perkster - a libero can be employed to increase the effectiveness of an offside trap, if played skilfully. Franco Baresi perfected the art of the offside trap from that position.

It takes a player with great awareness, football smarts and technical ability to be effective at sweeper... JT has all the attributes to be a great centreback, but not a sweeper.

The sweeper thing isn't right for the English game, and is less in vogue worldwide that it used to be. JT does not have the pace for it as said above. However, he does play very well in CB against players with pace - I don't think Henry has ever scored in a game where JT was marking him!

Jim   

Beckenbauer was one of the greatest players of all time and could have played anywhere on the pitch and looked the part.

Ruud was signed with the intention of playing Sweeper for us but that went by the wayside under Hoddle as he was more effective further forward, but he did play there at the end of his time for us.

Should Ferdinand get back into the team and if he does he should get dropped. IMO he shouldn't get back into the team until he has proven that he is back to his best. He could though, inject some pace into the England defence because JT and Campbell aren't the quickest centre-halves ever. Also JT should be the England vice-captain and future captain. He and Gerrard are the only two club-captains in the squad. Becks has been rubbish and Owen can't get a start. JT to captain England 2006 World Cup!!!

I really dont think it would be fair for Rio to come straight back into the squad let alone the team. I mean if he was stupid enough to forget a drugs test he should be forced to earn his place back in the squad.