• Current Donation Goals

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Liverbird

Frank Arnesen

By the way I have not checked the entire thread but has Juni had anything to say on the matter? if not then may I politely request Mr. Juni and co. to please detail how the departure of Arnesen changes things at the academy. Also how in your view has Arnesen performed since taking over. I am aware of some people who are of the opinion that given the amount of money we spent anybody would have been able to get the youngsters we did considering we spent a lot of money at buying some and performance of the ones getting into first team are good but not great enough to make them regulars. Please if you have time I would appreciate your views and I am sure most others who have not been anywhere near the youth team set up etc.

Much obliged in advance for any reviews.

Karan   

Not sure what to make of FA's departure, in the grand scheme of things. One question I do have though is what happens to his scouting network? Or more specifically the scouts - he was the one who appointed them, and they were answerable to him. Do they now exclusively work for Chelsea or is there another round of cost cutting or downsizing yet to happen.

I'm aware that the club has started to establish a strong local scouting network, which may well be less answerable to FA - unlike the foreign based scouts.

I do think that peace has broken out at CFC - this is probably as good as we have had since early JM or during the Hiddink truce.

The complete disaster that was/is the tiny squad could only have come about from a dreadful misalignment of the goals of various parts of the management group. The squad disaster is now obvious to all - and steps will happen to change that.

If thats the case, then its probably a sure shot that steps to bolster the squad will take place in January, isn't it?

FWIW, I still think that the days of the all powerful English style manager (for top English clubs), ala SAF & Wenger, are done and dusted and will probably go with their retirements. I still do think that a Sporting director will be brought in though questions of power sharing are still yet to be addressed.

At Milan CA had to work with Galliani and Braida, who determined the transfer policy. Question is, that at Chelsea, there is no one who all too powerful like Galliani is at Milan, ie. someone who's seemingly trusted by Berlusconi even if at times (or at most times) Berlusconi's will prevails.

Tenebaum, who's on the club board, is the closest advisor to RA. Wonder how much power he has in a board which includes, Gourlay, Buck, Forde, and Arnesen. And given that RA, is now quite exclusively going to be involved with the Russian 2018 bid, he's more likely to perhaps delegate even more power, than usual to someone on the board. Unless I'm reading this wrong.

What are the catchment area rules in Spain? Do they exist at all?

Doubt it. Iniesta is not a Catalan and is from Albacete, south of Catalonia. Pedro is from the Canary Islands. Barcelona's scheme at La Masia works like this.

Not sure what to make of FA's departure, in the grand scheme of things. One question I do have though is what happens to his scouting network? Or more specifically the scouts - he was the one who appointed them, and they were answerable to him. Do they now exclusively work for Chelsea or is there another round of cost cutting or downsizing yet to happen.

Most of the international scouting network was cut back a year or two ago. Indeed, just as RW went after the number of senior players fell dramatically over 2007/10, FA has now gone after his scouting network was massively reduced. Obvious in hindsight.

If thats the case, then its probably a sure shot that steps to bolster the squad will take place in January, isn't it?

Robbie Keane and SWP please. Shame Keane has been used as sub in the CL.

Yes - if we assume that the squad size is the great absurdity (which I am 1005 sure it is) and that it is the squad size that has raised all the issues to a head, then the club will at last deal with it. Shame a season may have been wasted - particularly a season where we had some great players in their final years. It really is a waste to see players like DD, Anelka, Malouda, SFL, AC, all 30 and not far from the end of their careers, playing with other geniuses like Cech, JT, Mikel & Essien - and somehow they are not storming the PL and CL. Tragic shame.

Doubt it. Iniesta is not a Catalan and is from Albacete, south of Catalonia. Pedro is from the Canary Islands. Barcelona's scheme at La Masia works like this.

Thanks.

Now take the same story, replace Barcelona with Chelsea, and see how a UK or Spanish journalist would write it. It would be a Swedish crime novel full of child molestation. It would also be illegal on several bases in the UK too.

Chelsea took this promising short 12 year old from Argentina, insisted he came to live in England and provided him with Human Growth hormone - the PR really doesn't bear thinking about.

Surprinsingly little has been made out on these boards and in the media of a person who was very much in league with Judas for having RA's ear. I think it was a very decent PR control by the media team at the club.

I dont still get the idea of firstly buying arnesen from spurs, then later getting Grant to be a buffer between the two reportedly warring factions of Arnesen and the other chap, then Avram leaves despite holding down his position pretty well, and along the way we lost a few decent staff members,and now Arnesen departed in a rather spurious manner as well. Whereas we are getting some young players in, the academy is far from productive and statements seem to suggest he has done his job and now looking for a new challenge. I know RA is not an idiot or disinterested in Chelsea so what is going on?

Before anybody offers me an explanation of new challenges etc, please go through all the player transfers and all the manager transfers; it is a standard line for getting fired with/without money or getting a better job. Nobody particularly a massively overated football backroom staff member such as Arnesen leaves such a lucrative job as he had here. Mind we bought/paid severence to, from Spurs I guess it would be interesting to see where he goes next.

CellSea   

I don't know if Pep would laugh or cry at Kalou's ability. Probably both! Barcelona's version of Kalou is Pedro and he is about 50x the player our Salomon is.

I agree. Pedro is the better man!

paulw66   

Robbie Keane and SWP please.

SWP..... one question. Why?

He can't cross, dribble or shoot.

Why would we re sign someone who already failed?

Robbie Keane and SWP please. Shame Keane has been used as sub in the CL.

Although many won't agree, I think this would be very shrewd and sensible.

Experienced and on their day a goal threat. Different to what we have here already and possibly available at a good price.

Not marquee, just sensible.

I'll throw another one in, Kranjcar.

Surprinsingly little has been made out on these boards and in the media of a person who was very much in league with Judas for having RA's ear. I think it was a very decent PR control by the media team at the club.

Well, the reason for that could perhaps be because no one knows what you are trying to insinuate with that comment?

Care to expand on that for us mere mortals who doesn't have an "inside source who works closely with Roman" to consult in matters like these?

Well, the reason for that could perhaps be because no one knows what you are trying to insinuate with that comment?

Care to expand on that for us mere mortals who doesn't have an "inside source who works closely with Roman" to consult in matters like these?

I guess the sarcasm escapes you there. Unless you have been avoiding reading everything about the JM departure, and head of the academy and Piet de Visser who apparently suggested getting Arnesen to Chelsea in the first place, and expensive lengthy negotiations with clubs for young players. Just so you understand this clearly: I dont know who has Roman's ear and neither does the press or people on the message boards who claim to be in the know! which is why it should be a bigger speculation than it is at the moment; because Arnesen for most naive people was instrumental in setting up the academy, buying young expensive talent from around the globe and frequently that caused a lot of grief to selling club, etc. No to mention was an 5+million purchase/acquisition from a direct competitor.

So if out of the blue if a person who was important very highly placed within the club heirchy and on the board of directors leaves without any prior rumours of discomfort it would normally be under intense speculation. I dont mean to be rude but if Arnesen in his position as the director of football, as well as a member of the board at Chelsea as well as head of youth development; one of the many positions he has had over the past few years does not have Roman's ear then he was not doing his job right. Who else does Roman listen to if not members of his board? Was Arnesen not one of the closest advisors on footballing matters perhaps superceded by de Visser and Pini Zahavi and Ancelotti. So you tell me "mere mortal" what should I believe and what should be skeptical about? So Arnesen did not have Roman's ear, and neither does his friend/mentor from PSV days de Visser or Pini who I understand to have a close relationship with RA. Or should I just accept the notion that Arnesen left of his own accord for reasons of pursuing a new challenge, one which is yet unknown.

So if out of the blue if a person who was important very highly placed within the club heirchy and on the board of directors leaves without any prior rumours of discomfort it would normally be under intense speculation.

I think this is a very good point. FA was far more important at Chelsea than RW, yet his moving on has raised little comment. He is also directly responsible for the Academy project which until the last 18 months or so has been phenomenally well funded. And in many people's minds he has been responsible for the shrinking squads you that finally was reduced to 19 senior players (at the least he is the most probable candidate and easiest target for anyone giving a grain of intelligence to CA and holding an ounce of loyalty to RA). He is also Director of Football (whatever that means).

RW's departure is quite unimportant in comparison.

Yet somehow the PR has presented RW leaving as a disaster, and FA leaving as boring.

One good reason for that though is that FA has always had strong links to the press himself.