• Current Donation Goals

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Liverbird

Frank Arnesen

Flinkers   

I completely lost track and interest in him. I must admit though now that you have brought him out it is with some pleasure that I see him getting his due in the Ukranian league. Also I am now curious as to all that "talent" we loaned to Fc Hamburg when he took over. If memory is not that faulty weren't at least a few of them going to waltz into the first team with uncle Arnesen, with professional contracts expedited, and athletic development inevitable?

As for Emenalo as many respectable posters have been arguing that he may be doing something right as we seem to be moving ahead as a club. Younger players, better manager, better manager-owner relationship, longer term planning, better PR. I don't see him as doing much in any particular capacity other than being a facilitator; but that is me. Nothing I read or heard supports this assumption, it is simply my bias as he was hired in much the same manner as Grant. At least Grant was hired at a time when there was somebody challenging the owner within the organization, and we all know the rest.

So yes I accept I have yet to understand what this person does and whatever I have read including the articles posted since last year have done nothing to change my mind, I guess I am getting to be cruel and obstinate in many ways, and I don't mean it lightly. I don't see the value in having him around, whilst we did our shopping on youtube last season. Now if he is helping Oscar, Piazon, Hazard, Wallace tie their shoelaces then things can change for me....

Of the five that came with Arnesen, only Mancienne and Rajkovic are still here.

Rajkovic barely played under Oenning, Fink and van Marwijk. Slomka started him in his first two games with the club but he's now out for the season with cruciate damage.

Mancienne played semi-regularly in his first season and has recently got himself back into the team (mainly due to injuries). He's spent most of his time here training and playing with HSV II in the Regionalliga Nord (Conference level football). He has a season left on his contract and is angling for a new one. If he plays well enough in the next few games while his competitors are out, he'll probably get it.

I look forward to seeing how long Arnesen lasts in the Ukraine.

With respect to Emenalo, he's clearly doing a better job than Arnesen was and IMO has the club heading in the right direction. He seems to be scouting and choosing players well and those that don't make it tend to be sold on for more than the initial transfer price. Whether the resale price covers all related expenditure on each specific player is up for debate. What I'd like to see now is less of the talent-stockpiling and more targetted transfer business addressing the remaining weaknesses in the team.

Of the five that came with Arnesen, only Mancienne and Rajkovic are still here.

Rajkovic barely played under Oenning, Fink and van Marwijk. Slomka started him in his first two games with the club but he's now out for the season with cruciate damage.

Mancienne played semi-regularly in his first season and has recently got himself back into the team (mainly due to injuries). He's spent most of his time here training and playing with HSV II in the Regionalliga Nord (Conference level football). He has a season left on his contract and is angling for a new one. If he plays well enough in the next few games while his competitors are out, he'll probably get it.

I look forward to seeing how long Arnesen lasts in the Ukraine.

With respect to Emenalo, he's clearly doing a better job than Arnesen was and IMO has the club heading in the right direction. He seems to be scouting and choosing players well and those that don't make it tend to be sold on for more than the initial transfer price. Whether the resale price covers all related expenditure on each specific player is up for debate. What I'd like to see now is less of the talent-stockpiling and more targetted transfer business addressing the remaining weaknesses in the team.

Thanks for the insight. Find it strange that if Mancienne has spent most of his time training/playing at a conference level that he'd want to remain there? Not followed his career since he left but surely he'd be able to fit in at a Championship level club?

RE our Transfer policy, it's nice to see we're at least getting something back from the players that move on now. There was a fair amount of time post Roman that we seemed to just let our players either whittle down their contracts via loans or sell them for peanuts (Robben aside the only one I can think of during that time). Whilst that may be due to crazy wages I'm not sure. But for example I think Duffer went for only £5 mill at the age of 27/28 and has managed to rack up 190dd appearances since he left (if Wiki is right).

Whether that's due to us getting with it on Wages, or directly as a result of Emenalo/Goulay's input, who knows. It's something that always irked me though and glad we're sorting ourselves out in that respect (though yes, Studge now looks like a real faux par at ~ £12 mill)

Flinkers   

Thanks for the insight. Find it strange that if Mancienne has spent most of his time training/playing at a conference level that he'd want to remain there? Not followed his career since he left but surely he'd be able to fit in at a Championship level club?

RE our Transfer policy, it's nice to see we're at least getting something back from the players that move on now. There was a fair amount of time post Roman that we seemed to just let our players either whittle down their contracts via loans or sell them for peanuts (Robben aside the only one I can think of during that time). Whilst that may be due to crazy wages I'm not sure. But for example I think Duffer went for only £5 mill at the age of 27/28 and has managed to rack up 190dd appearances since he left (if Wiki is right).

Whether that's due to us getting with it on Wages, or directly as a result of Emenalo/Goulay's input, who knows. It's something that always irked me though and glad we're sorting ourselves out in that respect (though yes, Studge now looks like a real faux par at ~ £12 mill)

Mancienne strikes me as a fairly docile kind of bloke. He won't kick up a fuss if things are going against him and he won't go looking for a new team when he has a halfway decent one. That's part of what makes him a fairly middling football player- there's just not enough aggression in him.

He's probably on a decent contract with HSV (estimated at around €2m a year) and he'd be unlikely to get anything like at many Championship clubs.

I'm going to the game tomorrow and he's supposed to play - will keep an eye on him.

Thanks for the update Flinkers. Keep us posted if possible.

Flinkers   

RE: Michael Mancienne.

I thought he was decent on Wednesday. It looks like he's put on a bit of muscle in the last 9 months and he's much the better for it.

Played it out nicely from the back and interspersed his generally cautious play with some decent lofted balls up to Zoua. Had a nice little run late in the first half that took him from halfway to the edge of the penalty area and looked good with the ball at feet.

Freiburg's goal came from a long throw-in that caused panic in a crowded box.

Considering HSV's games in the run-in there's a good chance he'll be playing in the 2. BL next season. They play Bayern, the teams currently in 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th and have a derby match against Hannover 96 who are also in relegation trouble.

Maybe this is for the Emenalo thread but we don't know his job description, his deliverables and targets.

We also don't know whether he's achieving or exceeding them - or failing.

What we do know is that Roman keeps a close cabal of trusted employees at the very top - is he a part of that or is he staying there on merit?

Tbh, I'm not sure why there should be any confusion either about his job description, or whether or not he's delivering. As Technical Director, he drives the domestic and international scouting network, to identify and sign talent for both the first team squad, and the Academy. The likes of Oscar, Hazard (E), Hazard (T), Willian, Salah, Azpilicueta, Wallace, Omeru, Traore, Cahill, Ramires, Lukaku, Bamford, Ake, Luiz, Chalobah, Schurrle, just to name some, would suggest to me that he's here on merit, and on balance (see: Marko Marin) doing a great job - particularly in light of FFP.

According to Jose, it was also M.E. who alerted him to the possible availability of Eto'o.

I'm quite sure that had M.E. had a higher profile before joining Chelsea, his performance, and indeed his right to hold that position, wouldn't be questioned at all. F.A. was (and remains) a complete fraud. I think though, that it's time for people to recognise and acknowledge, that M.E. might well be the real deal. Clearly he's at Chelsea because of his ability, not because he's possibly friends with Roman.

^I suspect the main reason why it works with ME is that he doesn't pretend to be anything he isn't.

Of course ME would first have heard about Eto'o being available - he takes the calls from agents.

I bet he listens to a lot of people.

Nevertheless, as has been mentioned on another thread, we have far too many young players for the needs of one club. Something else is going on, and I doubt ME is in charge of all of it.

In the meantime, not giving interviews non-stop about how it is all going to be great in a year or two is a great help IMO.

In the meantime, not giving interviews non-stop about how it is all going to be great in a year or two is a great help IMO.

Yes. Keeping a low profile, and avoiding self-promotion, is one of his strengths, imo. I simply like the way he operates - he just gets on with the job, and doesn't jockey for attention with the manager. The downside of this approach, of course, is that it allows people to still question what he does, and how effective he's been.

Don't get me wrong, I like what I've seen (and guessed) of Emenalo and his job. It's just we've not seen THAT much of him to be able to judge what he's really doing.

We also know that Roman keeps a close knit group of managers/advisers - is he part of the cabal and therefore less likely to be out on his ear if he makes a few bad signings? OR is he there cause he's doing a great job?

I'd like to think it's the latter but none of us can really confirm.