• Current Donation Goals

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Flinkers

Koreans Anyone?

Flinkers   

With our link up to Samsung next year and considering how well Park Ji-Sung played against Milan, would moving for one or two of the most marketable footballeres in Asia be a good idea for our business plans?

http://skysports.planetfootball.com/list.a...nel=Premiership

They would raise the profile of Chelsea hugely in Southeast Asia and are pretty handy footballers too. Apologies if this has been discussed before.

If it's a player than Mourinho wants, then yes. But not for the sake of shirt sales and merchandising. We don't want to be the next Real Madrid.

I do wonder whether Man Utd's interest in Park is in part motivated by the potential commercial gains. I'm sure Glazer would welcome the extra revenue.

TeRiYaKi   

Actually I disagree... Park would be perfect for shirt sales and merchandising, similar to Arsenal and Inamoto. He would also add depth to our width which is also something we're in need of. Overall it would be a very sensible move and I was wondering why we weren't interested when manutd went for him.

He looked like a pretty handy player, if lacking the final touches, a good back up for Joey Cole and I think an Asian player would be a good thing for Chelsea marketing wise.

Flinkers   

In part, Utd's move would have been marketing motivated and we have started to be linked with him over the last few days because of that fact. For me it makes good sense.

I think he's a good player, judging by his performances in the last World Cup and this year's CL, he can play out wide, is right footed, never stops running and would cost a heck of a lot less than all these 'blue chip' players we've been linked with. Factor in our "feeder" relationship with PSV and you to start wondering why he wasn't approached sooner.

TeRiYaKi   
quote:Originally posted by Flinkers

In part, Utd's move would have been marketing motivated and we have started to be linked with him over the last few days because of that fact. For me it makes good sense.

I think he's a good player, judging by his performances in the last World Cup and this year's CL, he can play out wide, is right footed, never stops running and would cost a heck of a lot less than all these 'blue chip' players we've been linked with. Factor in our "feeder" relationship with PSV and you to start wondering why he wasn't approached sooner.

id="quote">

id="quote">

I still think we could use a 'blue chip' right winger. Park makes a good squad and backup player but I don't think he's good enough for our starting 11.

You also forgot that it would help our relationship with our Korean sponsors.

Flinkers   

Not really, that's what I was inferring to when I said it makes good sense. It may be a little cynical but buying him, or any other Asian player coming good, would be a step along the way in Peter Kenyon's plan to make Chelsea self-sufficient within 10 years. It would broaden our appeal and generate a significant revenue stream from one of our target markets as well as opening up feeder possibilities to untapped (forgive the pun) leagues. The tie-in with PSV, if the previous stories about Alex and Farfan are to be believed, would also help if Home Office requirements are not met.

In my opinion he'd get pretty close to the starting 11 too. He ran rings around most of the Milan side in semi final 2nd leg, was only let down by poor finishing in the matches against Lyon, and because of his work rate he'd rank highly with the manager.

Method   

First of all, I am a big fan of Korean football players - they are excellent athletes with incredible work ethics. That said, I just don't fancy Chelsea buying Park just to "raise the profile in Asia". We just had to let quality players like Parker & Forssell go because they couldn't play in the starting 11... Another example of the Asian player marketing campaign gone bad is Nakata - Roma sold thousands of shirts but he hardly played up to his standard there.

If Park can genuinely challenge Robben, Tiago, Lampard et al for a starting midfield place then let's sign him. Otherwise, let's just stick to trophy-winning football..

TeRiYaKi   
quote:

You've clearly never tried Korean food ... it's the dog's bollocks.

id="quote">

id="quote">

Note that Koreans do NOT cook TeRiYaKi... =)