Droy was my hero

Members_2012
  • Content count

• Last visited

• Days Won

Everything posted by Droy was my hero

1. Transfer Talk Topic

Well we are disagreeing on matters of fact and oddly enough I seem to be in a massive majority in the football world. Makes me feel quite uncomfortable and useless as there is only a small part of football where my comments on this add value. Here. I do love players that point - so do most managers. JFH for a start. Off to work, back after Brighton
  2. Manchester City 1 Chelsea 0

"or" Sadly logic is not a topic you are in a position to criticise. Not quite sure how this is meant to come out. If you mean I am frequently not conventional I take that as a compliment. But again and again is it conventional thought that I get most criticised for. As with Bison and now RDC. I think it is usually Emperor's new clothes things - people upset that their personal fantasies get called out.
  3. Manchester City 1 Chelsea 0

I never cease to wonder how the more conventional my opinions are (and I do like a good conspiracy theory) the stronger the reaction to them is.
  4. Transfer Talk Topic

Outside Chelsea everyone thinks he is a creative playmaker. this isn't about me - it is about a small group of Chelsea fans who can't see what kind of player Jorginho is. (I'm frequently told that this is nothing to do with Frank Lampard .... but....) He was bloody good at Everton. Intriguing - Lukaku as traitor to a beloved manager - blame the board. Sounds familiar
  5. Transfer Talk Topic

Agree on Lukaku. I like the idea of Jorginho further forward too. But it would have to be a Rice type coming in as DM to replace the 3rd CB. There is no better creative type at DM/playmaker than Jorginho.
  6. Manchester City 1 Chelsea 0

Failing is never getting picked in a weak squad. This is a strong squad. The only failure is Barkley. Look at the history - failure has always been on an absolute basis, not relative. I understand your agenda changes historical facts for you, but that takes you out of the public debate. Yes - 76 points would be a disappointment, but still a level that only Ranieri has been sacked for. TT would be at risk with 76 points. Tell that to a football manager or director. It is the only proper measure. The idea that a player can be a success without making appearances (or at least being sold for a profit soon) or that a player who is not selected ahead of his peers consistently is a failure is just plain daft. Bats, Zappa, Baka, Barkley, Drinkwater, these are the failures. You are arguing with simple logic and struggling with it.
  7. Tottenham Hotspur 0 Chelsea 1 (0 - 3 on aggregate)

The historical record is 18 years long. I'm only claiming an ability to read and basic common sense. (What) do you think?
  8. Brighton vs Chelsea

You can't play 2 games a week regularly without having 3 day breaks sometimes. At least we go from Lunch time to evening to make it 3 and a bit. And then we have a 5 day break before Spurs in the Prem. Spurs have 4 days. Why on earth would we want a postponement? A third change for this game (or at least 3rd change for a Brighton game)? On defenders - actually we have been lucky. We went through a period with all our CMs injured, then a period with most of our strikers injured and now it is defenders. We have mostly had one group at a time, and all of the groups so far have got better so we haven't had, say Jorginho or Havertz starting every game for more than 6 or 7 weeks. Yes... but Mount. Mount was so far below par mid-week that I am sure it wasn't tactics that mean TT dropped him for City, and he didn't particularly stand out when he came on (no special criticism for that). I think Mount is a shoe in if he is 100% right, obvs, but this time TT may have to make a call on how ready he is.
  9. Manchester City 1 Chelsea 0

1. The measure of success is not the gap with Man city, but points gained from the whole division. 2. Up to last season we were struggling with the old Conte bought squad. So you are making my point for me thank you. 3. From last season we've had two players and from January we have had the manager and from January we have done excellently. 4. Any player who joins Chelsea football club and goes on to play a substantial number of games has been a successful purchase. You seem to have forgotten what an unsuccessful purchase looks like. There is a huge list of Chelsea unsuccessful actresses or you can look at Manchester United They have had to wait a very long time to have a moan.
  10. Tottenham Hotspur 0 Chelsea 1 (0 - 3 on aggregate)

80 points is the target, not Man City +1. Just look at the history of the club under RA. The only managers to be sacked after a full season Ranieri (79 and we all saw that coming). Ancellotti (71) and Conte (70). Lampard got 66 and amazingly he was still kept on for 6 more months!! (though that was a rebuild moment) Mourinho in 07/08 left in a mutual decision (though he was on course for another 80+ season). Mourinho in 15/16 had just had a great 14/15 but was sacked for the appalling start ot 15/16. The idea that we sack managers for coming second is just one of those BS ideas the media like to spin.
  11. Manchester City 1 Chelsea 0

There is a simple reason for that. We have so many of them and chop and change them so much that they don't get much chance. The more good players you have the harder it is for any to reach 10 or 15. Very simply Every Single Signing we have made since Conte left has been a success - as measured by being picked for a lot of games. We haven't had a Bakayoko or a Barkley or a Drinkwater since then (or a Zappacosta or an Emerson, or a Batshuayi or a Cuadrado or a Remy). All our purchases have been significant additions to the squad. It is a fantastic buying record. None of them have failed - and to accuse the board of failing is simply reversing all logic.
  12. Official: Chelsea Sign Kai Havertz

They do. That is how Fantasy Football works.
  13. Official: Chelsea Sign Kai Havertz

See above. You have improved on the appearances deception, but ignored a season at WBA, ignored Havertz spectacular time in cups , his CL and his Germany games. "official" hahahaha. Pretty sure Palace have already bid up more than that already. You have gone from ducking points made to inventing entirely false facts again. Which stats - the cherry picked stats or the real ones? Gallagher is a great player - amusing you think he can be had for £26m.
  14. Tottenham Hotspur 0 Chelsea 1 (0 - 3 on aggregate)

Curious post. The facts that only strong beliefs can conjure up.
  15. Official: Chelsea Sign Kai Havertz

You chose local examples because you wanted to duck the less than £40m point. How to manipulate stats 101 - choose your seasons carefully, count appearances not minutes or starts (starts is almost as good as minutes, appearances is usually misleading). Include those cup competitions that suit. Gallagher is obviously a terrific player, and yes I reckon there'd be a lot of bids of £50m+, quite possibly a lot higher. My point is that cherry picked or just randomly selected or randomly found stats can be very misleading. Last 2 Seasons Gallagher Havertz PL only Starts PL 46 30 mins PL 4106 2462 Goals 9 6 Assists 5 4 PL + CL Starts 46 41 mins 4106 3706 goals 9 10 Assists 5 8 PL + CL + NT Starts 46 48 mins 4151 4275 goals 9 14 Assists 5 9 All comps Starts 48 53 goals 9 20 Assists 6 11 d.o.b. 06/02/2000 11/06/1999
  16. Manchester City 1 Chelsea 0

I'm not sure any of our current attackers were here under Sarri. Under Lampard lots of our players looked poor. Rudiger and Kepa for example. They were two of our better players today. Poor under Lampard is a comment on Lampard, not the players. I think we just lost a close match to a great team. I think the most negative thing some one has said is that we have only had 1 win in 6 consecutive PL games. But that is basically a comment on the 4 December games because this loss to City and the draw with Liverpool were not dreadful results. December was a different time period and different conditions. So far in January we have played against 4 PL teams, W2, D1 (Liverpool) L1 (City). It has been a good new year so far. The team looks a lot stronger than last month.
  17. Manchester City 1 Chelsea 0

I thought you had words you could use.
  18. Manchester City 1 Chelsea 0

more shots, lower quality chances - why don't you just google "What is xG in football" instead of pretending some innocent naive knowledge. You certainly like to get your shout down in before I have posted. Listen - I'll ignore your luddite misinterpretations of matches based on your gut feelings, and you ignore the 2 lines a post match thread where I mention xg. jesus H, do you really have to act the complete idiot to get a smile out of another reader. (Since when have I lacked words)
  19. Manchester City 1 Chelsea 0

Feel free to close your eyes and mind.
  20. Manchester City 1 Chelsea 0

The game at the bridge was a lot closer than most are willing to admit. This game in terms of chances was really quite close. But if you don't like that you are doing the right thing - reject the stats, bury your head in the same, before you get a chance to see them.
  21. Manchester City 1 Chelsea 0

So in fact the game was pretty close on chance quality, even though City had many more shots. The difference was largely KdB's finishing. TT tried to close the game down and rely on counterattack and closing the game down did work. The problem is not the 44% possession stat but confusion in what we were supposed to do with the ball. When we went long it was fine. When we played short City's phenomenal press was very effective. On about 50 mins I think Pep conned us. Cleverly. City dropped off and we were able to play it about in our half. I'm not sure whether TT approved but the team went back to old habits and played it about. What should have happened is TT could have brought on Jorginho and we could have attempted farting about the back with purpose. Instead on 55 mins, Pep called up the press again, and we were farting about into the full press. A disaster - somehow Pep got us to play exactly how he wanted us to play. 3 days of training under TT went up in smoke in 5 mins. We never knew quite what we were doing again. I felt mostly sorry for Ziyech and Pulisic. In H1 they knew if they broke forward when we won the ball then at least there would be a long ball (even if Lukaku didn't win many). In H2 they didn't know whether the ball was being played through the middle or what. Yes. One of the features of this game is just how many City players got back even when they had not scored. It was often 1vs5 or 3 vs 8. Not sure. While we were playing longball he looked acceptable as a defender. Once we started farting about he looked like Zouma with the ball - in the wrong team. There is something seriously wrong with the reffing. The early Alonso booking would be fair enough - if we ever saw that kind of booking go our way. It doesn't happen, even after 60 mins.
  22. Manchester City 1 Chelsea 0

Thanks Mark. That pretty much guarantees Lukaku a couple of goals H2 - so long as TT has read this and doesn't take him off. I'm sure you're willing to sacrifice a little personal embarrassment for a couple of goals. Agreed.
  23. Tottenham Hotspur 0 Chelsea 1 (0 - 3 on aggregate)

I think this squad is terrific, and it is the squad that will keep him 3 or 4 years. That and having a get out of jail clause for finishing 2nd (City) but not for finishing <80 points. Love Tuchel, but he is very fortunate to get this squad. If anything too many options to choose from. Imagine if we only played PL & CL.
  24. Transfer Talk Topic

Indeed - Gallagher would be a £50m player at a big club this summer if Palace owned him. More if Palace had any resistance. I reckon Gilmour will be on loan for a 2nd year - I think that suits everyone. Yes. Mount in CM seems inevitable to me (though he would be very similar to Gallagher in that role). Gilmour needs to be 25 or 6' if he thinks he is going to be a DM/playmaker at a big club. He should be doing what Mount is doing now (and Maka and Jorginho did at his age) and playing further forward. To be fair he was shifted from DM to RCM quite early at Norwich.
  25. Manchester City 1 Chelsea 0

Yes. No Jorginho. Sarr is probably our weakest ball player at CB. Of course the underlying issue is that City will press very high and so we will go route 1 what ever our own team selection is. I'm guessing Mount was sub-par mid-week for a reason, and that is why he doesn't start.