thevelourfog

Members_2012
  • Content count

• Last visited

• Days Won

Everything posted by thevelourfog

1. Chelsea 2 Crystal Palace 0

Doesn't mean they were fit, tbf. And why risk them, potentially derailing bids for two far more important titles, when you're already 3-0 down? Ederson is the head scratcher because Steffen cost them the game and was the one first XI change that wasn't really needed, but you'd struggle to say that this cup keeper thing is a Guardiola idea. My gut is Guardiola will be completely vindicated with either a PL or CL win, maybe both. Perhaps just because the alternative is ... Upsetting. The world seems to be willing a Palace win today, but from what I've read they'll surely be useless without Gallagher, right?
  2. Chelsea 2 Arsenal 4

I like your optimism! We have come to their rescue so many times in the last 5 or so years, gifting them results (and twice, a trophy) when they're in a really bad place. So different to the preceding 10 years, where they'd often come to us looking really good and still get battered or sucker punched. I struggle with the idea they'll lose 4 on the bounce, especially with us having exerted ourselves against Real and Palace. I would really like to see us destroy them, mind. Feels like an age since I saw us do them in person.
  3. Chelsea 2 Crystal Palace 0

lol, at least it's not just Chelsea you relentlessly complain about. City often go out in the semis (something like 4 of the last 5?), and it's because they're usually in the hunt for more important trophies and relentlessly prioritise. It's really bloody obvious why Guardiola didn't use his subs, and he'll be completely vindicated if City win just one of the trophies they're in for. This season is a real change of direction from Klopp, who has typically done exactly the same.
  4. Chelsea 2 Arsenal 4

Last weekend, Southampton 0-6 Chelsea. This weekend, Southampton 1-0 Arsenal. Wednesday kinda feels like it writes itself. They're absolutely shite, lost 3 in a row, can't buy a result. Think I'd prefer they were in form tbh.
  5. Chelsea 2 Crystal Palace 0

If we win tomorrow, there is no way I want to go Wembley with 40,000 Liverpool supporters again. But then I also don't want to watch on TV with Danny Murphy punditry. Maybe just better to go out tomorrow!
  6. Roman Abramovich and Chelsea FC : Sanctions

To single-handedly rid the MHL of cocaine?
  7. Roman Abramovich and Chelsea FC : Sanctions

I didn't misunderstand anything. You said they were willing to buy us, I said they clearly, in the end, were not. Says a lot about this desire to argue a potential buyer's history is irrelevant that you'd argue with a self-evident truth.
  8. Roman Abramovich and Chelsea FC : Sanctions

But ... They weren't willing to buy us. That's why they pulled the plug on a deal. I really, really doubt they cared what Twitter has to say (because you'd not be a death penalty-backing Republican if you could genuinely be cowed by a non-existent woke "mainstream media", would you? And they were very happy being that) and that the backlash has anything to do with this decision. Far more like they didn't have the money to spend, or did and didn't want to spend it.
  9. Roman Abramovich and Chelsea FC : Sanctions

I think you know that digging people out will annoy them much more than saying the name Ricketts. The major downside for me is that the sports team they own is in a complete state. Seems crazy to me to consider that minor. I think the appeal of them, not that I favour their bid, is how much wealth they themselves have. I am wary of too many parties having an interest in us. That is a dampner on Boelhy for me, rather than the source of the funding.
  10. Real Madrid 2 Chelsea 3 (5 - 4 on aggregate)

Lost possession in midfield and Modric pulled off a wonder pass that was right between the two defenders at the back. Not sure more defenders or sitting deeper would have changed that, and it wasn't caused by being cavalier.
  11. Real Madrid 2 Chelsea 3 (5 - 4 on aggregate)

That Havertz header does feel like the "moment" with hindsight, doesn't it. And glorious failure is the way to put it. I'm a much bigger fan of prosaic success. It's the CL all over though, isn't it. How many times did we not win despite easily being in the top 2 or 3 teams on the continent, only for our 2 actual wins to come when we looked nowhere near. That's perhaps what I find so frustrating about our performance over the 2 legs. We had no chance of defending our title in 2013, we were clearly well of that pace, and it didn't hurt so much to surrender it. This year, I think we were better than who we went out to, better than at least another 3 sides still left in at the same stage (Benfica, Villareal, Atletico), and perfectly capable of taking on and beating Liverpool and City. To my mind, it could have happened this year. But it didn't, because of the same braindead mistake being repeated 3 times over the 2 legs. Much harder to let go of.
  12. VAR and Chelsea

It was just a general observation about what VAR was supposed to be initially and what it has become, for better or worse. I wouldn't complain about that specific decision. The rule, and not VAR, is the problem there if there is any problem at all.
  13. Roman Abramovich and Chelsea FC : Sanctions

About £5bn of Abramovich's assets seized in Jersey. He knew he was done as our owner as soon as Russia invaded.
  14. VAR and Chelsea

It's the "clear and obvious error", thing isn't it. In practice it means "change the decisions you want to change, keep the ones you don't".
  15. Chelsea 2 Crystal Palace 0

With Arsenal to follow on Wednesday. It will be a tough decision. It wouldn't surprise me if a few played on with knocks yesterday, never mind fatigue.
  16. Real Madrid 2 Chelsea 3 (5 - 4 on aggregate)

Take it you couldn't even be bothered to be clever? I wasn't nearly as critical of our players last week as many here were, so won't be nearly as full of praise on this occasion. We played really well for 75 minutes and were on the cusp of a great performance, but the game lasts 90 if not 120 minutes. We weren't of the same standard over that length of time. I get the pride in how we approached this game, but if you think a performance that involves conceding two goals in 16 minutes (one yet another free header) and losing a winning position is fantastic, brilliant, etc. ... Well, then we disagree on what those sorts of word mean.
  17. Real Madrid 2 Chelsea 3 (5 - 4 on aggregate)

Nah. I'm not into celebrating defeat or failure, though. And despite all the hard work, that is what happened last night. I thought we worked our bloody socks off in the first leg, and made chances that we were unfortunate to not turn into goals. Specific errors aside, I don't think we were that bad. Last night, we worked as hard and it came off more for us ... Until almost literally the minute Real needed to do something, and then we fell apart. Genuinely, as soon as Real had to force the issue, they successfully did just that. What these two legs show is how much narrative influences how we analyse football. Both games were marred by terrible individual defending at key moments. Just as too much of our season has been. Failing to see it out at 3-0 up and 10 minutes to go is not good.
  18. Real Madrid 2 Chelsea 3 (5 - 4 on aggregate)

The major difference between this game and last week's is the timing of the catastrophic defending. To let a 3-0 lead slip in the space of 16 minutes is no more worth celebrating than giving away a 2-0 head start in the space of 3 minutes. I enjoyed it more as a watch but I struggle with the idea it was really much better than last week ... After all, the outcome is much the same.
  19. Real Madrid 2 Chelsea 3 (5 - 4 on aggregate)

We should have battered this lot. City or Liverpool will embarrass them.
  20. Real Madrid 2 Chelsea 3 (5 - 4 on aggregate)

Is every team Benzema plays against this charitable? Think I'd have rather gone out with a 2-0 win, this is a bit more soul destroying.
  21. Media / Press

Not so for the FA Cup. Rules were changed last year to forbid it. If Palace genuinely did ask Chelsea, it was a stupid request made of the wrong people.
  22. Chelsea 2 Crystal Palace 0

I'd sooner Patrick Vieria reffed the game.
  23. Media / Press

The coverage of this is plain stupid. It would be a massive conflict of interest for Gallagher to play. Neither we or Crystal Palace should be wanting to put him in that position.
  24. Chelsea 2 Crystal Palace 0

You are kidding. You must be.
  25. Southampton 0 Chelsea 6

lol, I couldn't watch any of those three games. I'll go to bed at 7pm on Tuesday.