CFCnet Member

Profile Information

Previous Fields

• Team
    Chelsea

Recent Profile Visitors

6,637 profile views
  1. Transfer Talk Topic

I can't really understand the vitriolic language directed at Lukaku. I have been one of his loudest critics, but I feel uncomfortable with some of the deeply personal language used against him. Maybe he was never good enough for the team, maybe he wasn't used properly, maybe his teammates didn't like him..., And whatever the maybe, none of it suggests he woke up one morning in sunny Italy and conjured a plan to return here and rip us off.
  2. Chelsea 1 Leicester City 1

Those who deride and criticise our Roman Abramovich era often miss the point; that our success wasn't just about money. After all, PSG have thrown more money at it and got nowhere near us in terms of European success. We had football technocrats who were not afraid to make difficult decisions at difficult times, not afraid to sack any manager, no matter their reputation. We also scouted well, that is, until the last 5 years. To cut this short; if UEFA's FFP succeeds then the competition switches to who has the best eyes for spotting talents and developing them. And I wouldn't mind that at all. Some may argue that if we were financially tight, then Broja would be playing here instead of Lukaku, and we wouldn't be any worse.
  3. Chelsea 1 Leicester City 1

The Glazer scenario is a Chelsea fan's worst nightmare. Once an owner decides to use a club as a cash cow or leverage, it changes everything. I rather hope that our new owners have learnt from the Glazers' mistake as it hasn't exactly been a fairy tale for them at ManUtd. Roman Abramovich was a passionate and sentimental owner. There will never be one like him, and we will miss him badly. I personally will. But we are up against many RA imitators. And like Chinese manufacturers cloning Western technology, they are quite good at it. We must fight today's battle, not yesterday's. Our signing records of the past 5 years show that things must change.
  4. Chelsea 1 Leicester City 1

You may have a point there. But after so many bad signing decisions, Marina should be banging the table (metaphorically, I must stress) demanding for top technical advisers. I think Marina has been bamboozled far too often by players'agents. All our recent signings have cost us more than the independent valuations both in signing and wages. Shame that Rudiger's agent didn't succeed.
  5. Chelsea 1 Leicester City 1

Our scouting, transfer policy, and wage structure have been ridiculous for some time now. I don't know whether the departure of Emenalo has anything to do with it. But you can't argue that we got it wrong with Werner, then contest that we were right in Lukaku's case. We got it wrong in both and more. We threw away too much money on Pulisic, Werner, Havertz, Ziyech. Tuchel's coaching aside, I do not see any skills or character of these players that matches their signing fees or salaries. The same people who praise the business success of Marina tend to cry misogyny whenever you point out that she's actually left us with not a single game-changing, match-winning performer, beyond the Rudiger and Thiago Silva. With Lukaku we simply continued a signing trend. I have absolutely no idea what our scouts found. His weight has been going up, he's been slowing down, he was never going to suddenly become nimble footed..., basically there was nothing hidden about Lukaku's strength and weaknesses. He wasn't some obscure player in a Romanian league. To end my rant, we need good technical heads at the club, and we need to understand that every person has technicsl strengths and weaknesses - Marina, Tuchel, Cech. We seem to want to push the bad decisions onto "someone else" There is no way Lukaku could have got here without the approval of those three.
  6. Chelsea 0 Liverpool 0 (5 - 6 on penalties)

Possession is not a problem; not being able to sense an opportunity and exploit it is. We don't even try; it means the responsibility lies squarely with the manager. Give this team to another manager, and you would see a different approach, for better or worse. That is what managers are paid a lot of money for. We win the ball, and our first pass is 9 out of 10 a possession pass. Other teams play an offensive pass straightaway and go on the attack. Tuchel's approach seems to set up a system and let it deal with situations as they arise during the match. Other managers may work on exploiting certain situations and positions. Players have technical limitations but so do managers.
  7. Chelsea 0 Liverpool 0 (5 - 6 on penalties)

We didn't seem to have any strategy or gameplan for winning this match. It was once again - go out and play, and the goals might come. Sometimes that works, many times it doesn’t. Your best chances against a high pressing team often comes when they descend on you - win the ball and hit them with a quick transition. This is how teams score against Liverpool. Tuchel"s approach is to "settle down and get into shape" after you've won the ball. We can talk about player selection, rebuilding, Lukaku, and more, but there is a fundamental weakness in Tuchel's approach that should not be ignored. We are not creative enough to break down a defending team, and we are not exploiting the benefits of transition either. This is Thomas Tuchel's problem, I'm afraid. It will be his problem next season, and the one after, unless he decides to do something about it.
  8. Chelsea 0 Liverpool 0 (5 - 6 on penalties)

I could have saved Mount's penalty form my sofa. He showed so much of it, it's unbelievable.
  9. Chelsea 0 Liverpool 0 (5 - 6 on penalties)

Both players are good products of our academy, and we should support them. But Guehi impresses n so many ways - solid, good temperament, good feet on the ball, no nonsense. Chalobah may have the same array of skills, but there is a nervousness in him that I don't see in Guehi. I think for we need a good football person behind the scene at CFC.
  10. Chelsea 0 Liverpool 0 (5 - 6 on penalties)

Interesting half. We played like a Thomas Tuchel Chelsea in the most positive way for the first time in a long while. Let's win this and then reflect on the season.
  11. Chelsea 2 Wolverhampton Wanderers 2

RA or TB, it's a simple question of whether TT can lead us out of this situation. His yesterday's PM interview read like, "I've found the cause of the problem; the engine stopped running" No Sir, the real cause of the problem shoukd be what caused the engine to stop working.
  12. Chelsea 2 Wolverhampton Wanderers 2

Well, that may be true. But if coaching was only about choosing the right combination of players, it would be down to a shoot-out between Microsoft, Apple and Google. So many times I have seen us break and look like we've never practised a counterattack - no player seems to know what they should be doing, never mind what to expect from the other players.
  13. Chelsea 2 Wolverhampton Wanderers 2

Once again we underperformed as a team and as individuals. And once again, the manager has said nothing post-match that convinces anyone that he knows what the problem is, never mind the solution. This is now a test for the new owners; should they stick with TT next season. Because they way I see it, his system is far too predictable and too easy to nullify - whether in defence or attack. He has to come up with something else, on the match and during the match. Signing a few new faces into this system is a bad recipe, imo.
  14. Everton 1 Chelsea 0.

Some may say that Lukaku is simply not good enough a footballer, others may say he is not trying hard enough. Subjective judgement - yes, insult - not so sure about that one. You could say the same about any player at any given time, except the ones that have no human nature.
  15. Everton 1 Chelsea 0.

Actually, it did cross my mind, listening to that PM interview, that he might just throw in the towel. He sounded like it. To me, it is a fight or flee situation for Tuchel. If he hasn't got the balls to confront his players about what is going on, then staying on is no option. Equally, he could decide that he knows what the problem is, and ask the new owner to back a radical solution. If he thinks that Lukaku is the main problem, then selling him must go hand in hand with renegotiating new contracts for the players who may have felt unappreciated when the club splashed out for Lukaku. So, yes, it is a real test for Thomas Tuchel the man-a-ger.