Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WashingtonBlue

Favorite Television Dramas Of All Time

For me:

1.The West Wing (actually head and shoulders better than anything else in my view; the only thing that comes close to Sorkin's personal writing of all dialogue in the first 4 seasons is other Sorkin work like A Few Good Men).

2. The Sopranos

3. Hill Street Blues

4. St. Elsewhere

5. Homicide: Life on the Street

6. 24

7. The Original Star Trek (sentimental favorite from my childhood; what's not to like).

8. Upstairs, Downstairs (do even Brits remember this BBC classic from the 70s? The World War I episodes are incredible; Trivia: the main characters are Chelsea fans)

9. I, Claudius (another BBC classic that was inspirational for the producers of the current HBO/BBC Rome).

10. ER

I left out Lost because it has "Lost" me lately; literally.

ER for me. Couldn't get enough of it, although I haven't seen it in quite a while. Used to watch the Sporanos now and again.

Sir   

I haven't seen many of them that you mentioned WB. I hear Sopranos is very good though, worth me getting on DVD or something?

ER was certainly excellent back in it's heyday but I've not seen it for years. Not even sure if it is still running.

I have to watch Boston Legal but having said that I've not seen it once all season. It's also the only non-comedy or non-documentary TV series which I've ever bothered to purchase. However, I guess it is equal parts comedy and drama. Shatner is just brilliant in it, as is Spader. I've always been a Shatner fan though as I grew up on classic Trek.

I think the new 'Rome' is excellent. Gritty and realistic and extremely well performed. It does annoy me slightly how they insist on a different director for each episode as it can make it look very different stylistically from one show to the next. A recent episode was way too heavy on the close-up head shots.

I enjoyed I Claudius all those years ago. Jaccoby was excellent.

The Jeremy Brett Sherlock Holmes was excellent.

Inspector Morse was worth a mention and I enjoyed Ian McShane in Lovejoy but maybe that is also more borderline comic drama.

Hill Street Blues and St. Elsewhere were great. I cannot abide any of the more recent imitations/reinventions.

I've never seen West Wing or The Sopranos. These days unless it's sport or documentary I try to avoid watching new shows like the plague as I don't want to get into them. The ones I've ended up liking I 'Fell" into watching somehow, except for Rome since I love anything set in the classical world. .

Sorry, I know everbody hates it but Lost is the best TV show ever. So There!

House. 'nuff said ;)

I have to watch Boston Legal but having said that I've not seen it once all season. It's also the only non-comedy or non-documentary TV series which I've ever bothered to purchase. However, I guess it is equal parts comedy and drama. Shatner is just brilliant in it, as is Spader. I've always been a Shatner fan though as I grew up on classic Trek.

Absolutely love that show. It's funny, but at the same time, the cases are almost always interesting.

House is probably 2nd on my list.

1. Lost - Everyone hates it, who cares I love it. Addictive, TV at it's best.

2. House - Very funny and good drama too. Hugh Laurie makes it, without him it would be average.

3. ER - Watched it for about 6/7 series now and most episodes are great.