Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

n/a

Roberto Di Matteo

n/a   

Just saw his name mentioned on the fave players topic, and it got me reminiscing. He was a superb player wasn't he? A fantastic goal in the F.A. Cup final, the fastest ever, what a record to have! He nearly lost it to Henry, but Niemi made a great save. It was a shame he got injured and had to retire, but, what a player. Gonna have to watch the video of the final when I get home, what a player.

Roberto was one of my favourite players to put on a Chelsea shirt and it was a terrible loss when he suffered his injury.

I will never forget the emotion he created for me at Wembley that day in 1997 but the moment that really stands out for me was the goal he scored against Boro in what I believe was his first home game of that season. It was a very late winner from about 30 yards in the season when Vialli and Ravenelli first came to the Premiership as I saw then that we had a special player on our hands.

You can still see occassional contributions from Roberto on Football Italia on Eurosport and he seems in good spirits so it seems that luckily it hasnt led to his whole life falling apart.

n/a   

Yeah, it's good he isn't one of the few who end up nobody's. His contribution to us, and Italy was enormous. And it was a terrible loss to the team when he got injured.

JLH   

Good player,and more importantly became a real 'Chelsea ' player. He seemed to love the club and my favourite memory of him (apart from the obvious) was the laying down goal celebration, propped up on one elbow, finger in the air, and Wisey, Leboeuf and the rest joining him in the pose. Classically cool!

bluetom   

Absolute legend, and didn't he get the last ever FA cup final goal at wembley too? or did he score first? My memory fails me... Whereabouts is his restaraunt?

Morpheus & Phil,

I think it's safe to say that if by some miracle I found myself in charge at The Bridge you two would NEVER get a job as scouts! Bobby Di is a terrific bloke and of course he has my sympathy for his carear ending injury but a great player? No chance. In fact Bobby was quite possibly the worst player ever capped by Italy!

As a man he was a loss to the squad but as a player I'm affraid that his injury was a blessing in disguise.

Di Matteo was quality, I can't see how anyone can take that away from him. He scored countless goals, even though he tended to cover the defence and was a valuable team player. Not to mention part of the legendary Petrescu, Di Matteo, Wise, Poyet midfield that should have taken the title.

quote:Originally posted by bluetom

Absolute legend, and didn't he get the last ever FA cup final goal at Wembley too? Or did he score first? My memory fails me... Whereabouts is his restaraunt?

id="quote">

id="quote">

He scored first and last in the last Cup Final under the Twin Towers; we beat Villa 1-0.

quote:Originally posted by Gary Stone

...Not to mention part of the legendary Petrescu, Di Matteo, Wise, Poyet midfield that should have taken the title.

id="quote">

id="quote">

None of that midfield was quite good enough to be part of a championship team.