Sir

Non Chelsea: International Football

Sciatika   

Honestly, could someone who is able to follow it better than I can from here, please tell me why England is so poor?

Put aside the France game. We played a bunch of youngsters who were, IMO, simply not up to it. The rest is an almost endless list of problems.

I am not all that enamoured of the manager. Experience shows he is a serial bottler whose main interest is fattening up his pension scheme. The FA have been incompetent for as long as I have been alive (over 50). When we actually won the WC, it was done despite the FA, not because of them. We were also very lucky and were certainly not the best team at the time (at the very least you'd have to say Hungary, Brazil and W Germany were all better than us and they weren't alone in that group). Part of the problem with the FA is that it is run by factions constantly competing for control (County Football, League Football, Premier League and the National Team). Some of our players are simply not all that good, either.

However, none of these things are the major issue. You could have the best association, stadiums, manager and players and it would still not work. The real problem is the "fans" and the media.

Firstly, they have an utterly irrational expectation of success. Anything less is unacceptable. When players play for England, they walk on the pitch in fear of losing (or even getting a draw). They know that a single mistake will have them crucified in the press for weeks. The fans have a poor memory of good performances, but remember every error in precise detail. This is because most England fans have favourite players, come what may. Nothing the favourites do is wrong, it is always someone else's fault. They store up mistakes to use as a justification for dropping this, that or the other player in preference to their own. I'm sorry to say that the fans don't, on the whole, actually know much about football. This also applies to the journos (with notable exceptions). Most journalists are people who are professional writers first. Their knowledge of football is a distinct second. Many come from glossy magazine backgrounds, often Celebrity rags. The fans opinions (who act like sheep in this respect) are often gleaned from their articles. The journos tell football fans what they want to hear because it sells copy. They generally prefer "playing with passion" to good technique and skill. Playing with passion, by the way, simply means lumping the ball up to the other end and running around like headless chickens. Play like that against any half-decent team and you will lose everytime, just like England do.

So, in the end, we spend fortunes on facilities, can beat the San Marinos and Andorras (sometimes), we can get through qualifying to tournaments, but when we face Holland, Germany, Brazil, Spain, Italy, France, etc. etc we lose.

Hashim   

Put aside the France game. We played a bunch of youngsters who were, IMO, simply not up to it. The rest is an almost endless list of problems.

I am not all that enamoured of the manager. Experience shows he is a serial bottler whose main interest is fattening up his pension scheme. The FA have been incompetent for as long as I have been alive (over 50). When we actually won the WC, it was done despite the FA, not because of them. We were also very lucky and were certainly not the best team at the time (at the very least you'd have to say Hungary, Brazil and W Germany were all better than us and they weren't alone in that group). Part of the problem with the FA is that it is run by factions constantly competing for control (County Football, League Football, Premier League and the National Team). Some of our players are simply not all that good, either.

However, none of these things are the major issue. You could have the best association, stadiums, manager and players and it would still not work. The real problem is the "fans" and the media.

Firstly, they have an utterly irrational expectation of success. Anything less is unacceptable. When players play for England, they walk on the pitch in fear of losing (or even getting a draw). They know that a single mistake will have them crucified in the press for weeks. The fans have a poor memory of good performances, but remember every error in precise detail. This is because most England fans have favourite players, come what may. Nothing the favourites do is wrong, it is always someone else's fault. They store up mistakes to use as a justification for dropping this, that or the other player in preference to their own. I'm sorry to say that the fans don't, on the whole, actually know much about football. This also applies to the journos (with notable exceptions). Most journalists are people who are professional writers first. Their knowledge of football is a distinct second. Many come from glossy magazine backgrounds, often Celebrity rags. The fans opinions (who act like sheep in this respect) are often gleaned from their articles. The journos tell football fans what they want to hear because it sells copy. They generally prefer "playing with passion" to good technique and skill. Playing with passion, by the way, simply means lumping the ball up to the other end and running around like headless chickens. Play like that against any half-decent team and you will lose everytime, just like England do.

So, in the end, we spend fortunes on facilities, can beat the San Marinos and Andorras (sometimes), we can get through qualifying to tournaments, but when we face Holland, Germany, Brazil, Spain, Italy, France, etc. etc we lose.

Quote of the Week lol

Question answered, don't think anyone else can offer a more sound assessment.

blizeH   

Anyone watching this? Really good to see Lampard with the armband!

That Erickson looks like a damn good player to me, some of his crossing and shooting has been very impressive. Seems to be good at finding that little bit of space too.

Anyone watching this? Really good to see Lampard with the armband!

That Erickson looks like a damn good player to me, some of his crossing and shooting has been very impressive. Seems to be good at finding that little bit of space too.

Yep I'm watching and concur with your view on Erikkson. Looks a useful player thus far

nrm262   

Anyone watching the Italy/Germany game? Interesting seeing Thiago Motta play for Italy. Chiellini looks pretty handy at left back.

France and Brazil playing on ESPN. Couple of ours on view including Luiz...