Droy was my hero

Books You've Enjoyed Or Would Recommend

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

Obviously (and like most my age, I guess) over the decades I've had the pleasure of collecting and reading the great western, espionage and crime novelists like Deighton, Chandler, Wouk, McMurtry, Rankin, and so on (the list of names and titles is endless, so I won't bore you with one!). However, if there was only a single book that I could take with me to that mythical desert island, it's be Catch 22 by Joseph Heller. I first read it when I was 20/21, and it's always made me laugh out loud, with tears rolling down my cheeks. I've returned to it many times since. I've lost count of how many copies of it that I've bought (if you have it, then my advice is to never lend it to anyone, because you'll never see it again!). A magnificent novel, and a one-off: although Heller wrote a number of other books, he was never again able to to repeat the brilliance of this his first novel. Stunning!

Yes , have to agree , I read it at about the same age as you did Mike , absolutely superb book full of some fantastic characters and Catch 22 itself a thing of astounding elegance 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sciatika   

I might try Heller. It will make a change from textbooks. I looked up recently the books and academic papers I have read in the last three and a half years, and it is not much under 1000! Also, I always have one book on the back burner that is non-fiction that I read for interest (currently "Cynical Theories", though only a chapter or so in), so I have not had much time for fiction. I am working on my dissertation and hope to graduate this year. I will be free. Free. One lecturer suggested I do a Masters, but I think that just because I pay my fees on time. Instead, I am thinking about doing a cabinet-making course. It is one of my bucket list things. Plenty of time in the evening to read the books that I wanted to read but never got round to. Catch-22 is one of them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ruudboy   

You might try Mick Herron’s Slow Horses spy series, featuring MI5 agents who have been exiled from the mainstream for various offenses, but always, under the leadership of the redoubtable and revolting Jackson Lamb, come out ahead. Well, usually... Well crafted and humorous - and well worth a read.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ruudboy   

Well said, Mike, I had the same experience. Read it at 17 on the recommendation of a girlfriend and nearly died laughing. Since then I’ve reread it several times - and it’s worth reading The True Story of Catch 22 by Patricia Meder- and the characters are based on Heller’s colleagues from WWII. And yes, I’ve lent it twice and each time had to buy another copy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

Obviously (and like most my age, I guess) over the decades I've had the pleasure of collecting and reading the great western, espionage and crime novelists like Deighton, Chandler, Wouk, McMurtry, Rankin, and so on (the list of names and titles is endless, so I won't bore you with one!). However, if there was only a single book that I could take with me to that mythical desert island, it's be Catch 22 by Joseph Heller. I first read it when I was 20/21, and it's always made me laugh out loud, with tears rolling down my cheeks. I've returned to it many times since. I've lost count of how many copies of it that I've bought (if you have it, then my advice is to never lend it to anyone, because you'll never see it again!). A magnificent novel, and a one-off: although Heller wrote a number of other books, he was never again able to to repeat the brilliance of this his first novel. Stunning!

True, Yossarian, true.       Brilliant book.  Much better than the 1970 film (from where comes MT's avatar).  Much better than the TV version recently (which is available on the ALL4 streaming site).
And much much better than the 2 or 3 other books of his I wasted time reading (which are not awful, but just ordinary so very disappointing).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JaneB   
On 09/02/2021 at 2:49 AM, Michael Tucker said:

Obviously (and like most my age, I guess) over the decades I've had the pleasure of collecting and reading the great western, espionage and crime novelists like Deighton, Chandler, Wouk, McMurtry, Rankin, and so on (the list of names and titles is endless, so I won't bore you with one!). However, if there was only a single book that I could take with me to that mythical desert island, it's be Catch 22 by Joseph Heller. I first read it when I was 20/21, and it's always made me laugh out loud, with tears rolling down my cheeks. I've returned to it many times since. I've lost count of how many copies of it that I've bought (if you have it, then my advice is to never lend it to anyone, because you'll never see it again!). A magnificent novel, and a one-off: although Heller wrote a number of other books, he was never again able to to repeat the brilliance of this his first novel. Stunning!

 

On 09/02/2021 at 0:05 PM, Droy was my hero said:

True, Yossarian, true.       Brilliant book.  Much better than the 1970 film (from where comes MT's avatar).  Much better than the TV version recently (which is available on the ALL4 streaming site).
And much much better than the 2 or 3 other books of his I wasted time reading (which are not awful, but just ordinary so very disappointing).

Crikey, I better not say what I like reading!!

Must give Catch 22 a go after all these recommendations.  When I first joined on here I thought that was actually Michael in his avatar until it dawned on me it probably wasn't!  Excellent message comes through though!!

Well I will admit to liking biographies, WW2 books on spying etc., SOE and all that.  Crime thrillers and true crime too.  

A variety really.  There's nothing better (well not much) than getting into a good book that you can't put down. 

PS.  How did I not realise that was Alan Arkin in Michael's Avatar?  I've just looked up the film.  I've always liked him in the films of his I've seen.  Just finished watching The Kominsky Method on Netflix with him and Michael Douglas.  Absolutely hilarious and he was wonderful. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ham   
20 hours ago, JaneB said:

 

 

PS.  How did I not realise that was Alan Arkin in Michael's Avatar?  

You think that's bad. I swear to God, and because I only ever use this site with a mobile phone sized screen, I was inexplicably of the opinion that Michael's avatar was John Motson. 

🤷

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 09/02/2021 at 0:05 PM, Droy was my hero said:

True, Yossarian, true.       Brilliant book.  Much better than the 1970 film (from where comes MT's avatar).  Much better than the TV version recently (which is available on the ALL4 streaming site).
And much much better than the 2 or 3 other books of his I wasted time reading (which are not awful, but just ordinary so very disappointing).

I never finished Catch-22. Took it on holiday 40 years ago, and I rarely have time to read novels when not on holiday. Went off to uni on my return, and I'm not sure what I did with it.

Not long after I started Something Happened. Same story - never finished it, but it was very unmemorable. 

I did finish Good as Gold. Made me laugh a few times, but can't even remember what it was about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've just finished vol 3 of Danny Baker's autobiog, the one where he fights cancer (of the head and neck, which took the life of a close friend of mine around the same time. The treatment is horrific). A brilliant read, just like the first two. He really can write.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Backbiter said:

I never finished Catch-22. Took it on holiday 40 years ago, and I rarely have time to read novels when not on holiday. Went off to uni on my return, and I'm not sure what I did with it.

Not long after I started Something Happened. Same story - never finished it, but it was very unmemorable. 

I did finish Good as Gold. Made me laugh a few times, but can't even remember what it was about.

There really is no comparison.  Have to admit I stopped first time after 50 pages of Catch 22 and then went back to it later.  Oddly the early scenes in the hospital are my favourite.  Particularly the wholly bandaged who has just a water bottle in and a water bottle out, which get switched.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now