Droy was my hero

Books You've Enjoyed Or Would Recommend

Ruudboy   

Hungry Joe and Lieutenant Scheisskopf take a lot of beating (did I mean that?). And the scene where Capn Wren is trying to sync watches is one of my all time favourite scenes.

Liam w   

Anyone here had a go on the Tom clancy series? I am currently being lent them one at a time by a relative . They are a really good read if you can get over the 'look how great all Americans are at everything' narrative

Jasonb   

Not Tom Clancy yet read Jack Reacher and his character is very not the good looking American.

Some good books though after about 9 it started to wear off, the format was too familiar. Still a good read up until then.

Yes in case you're wondering there were films starring Tom Cruise which upset a lot of followers as in the books Reacher is 6'5, Tom C. is clearly not.

Ham   
1 hour ago, Jasonb said:

Not Tom Clancy yet read Jack Reacher and his character is very not the good looking American.

Some good books though after about 9 it started to wear off, the format was too familiar. Still a good read up until then.

Yes in case you're wondering there were films starring Tom Cruise which upset a lot of followers as in the books Reacher is 6'5, Tom C. is clearly not.

Haha yeah a lot was made in the books of just how intimidating a sight the man-mountain Jack Reacher was.  

Tom Cruise in the role was controversial to say the least 😅

2 hours ago, Ham said:

Haha yeah a lot was made in the books of just how intimidating a sight the man-mountain Jack Reacher was.  

Tom Cruise in the role was controversial to say the least 😅

Still , one could argue that it's still better casting than Queen Latifah as "The Equaliser".

• Haha 1

chara   

The Tom Cruise/Jack Reacher issue was/is a big thing here!....remember seeing vehicles with "Tom Cruise Isn't Jack Reacher" stickers...

Surely the low point was Dick Van Dyke as a Cockney chimney sweep...the benchmark for mis casting....hmm...perhaps that's a portent for a new series of Chara Short Shelf Life issues?...know known as CSSL's....

We have an excellent small library here and when I was still working the head lady gave me a "special" catagory card.."Frequent Reader" allowing me 12 books...sadly since I retired I don't seem to read as much..far too busy!

Sciatika   

Just finished my final dissertation and so I can finally move away from textbooks. It's a relief. I doubt I will do another. I am spending the summer writing a book about my Grandad's experiences of the First World War, chiefly as a present for my brother and sisters children and grandchildren, who don't remember him. I'll get it bound "like a real book" and give a copy to each of them for Christmas. So, it will be nice to get back to reading simply for the pleasure of it. I have a stack, mostly Scandi noir, some old Ian M Banks and A.S.Byatt and that Neil Gaiman thing about Norse Gods. I really enjoyed the Jack Reacher books, but they did get a bit same-y after a while. The author found a formula that worked, I suppose. Tom Cruise was a terrible choice for that role. Never Let Me Go by Ishiguro was good (didn't watch the film). It was nice to be reminded of the quality of his writing, just as good as A Pale View of Hills, in my opinion, but the plot is, sadly, not very original. I haven't read The Buried Giant yet and there's a new one just out.

Jasonb   

One of the more interesting things I read in the last couple of years was the trilogy starting with Senlin ascends.

The last is out in November if they stay on course.

A kind if fantasy topic set in an almost Victorian time with hidden technology our accidental traveler finds as he crosses over borders as a result of a holiday mishap and losing his wife.

Kind of reminds me of LOTR without the dragons, dwarves and elves. 

Ham   
54 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Still , one could argue that it's still better casting than Queen Latifah as "The Equaliser".

Waiting for Stephen Fry as "Shaft". 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Ham said:

Waiting for Stephen Fry as "Shaft". 

Pee wee Herman IS Nelson Mandela in "The long walk to freedom"