Droy was my hero

Books You've Enjoyed Or Would Recommend

46 minutes ago, Sciatika said:

Just finished my final dissertation and so I can finally move away from textbooks. It's a relief. I doubt I will do another. I am spending the summer writing a book about my Grandad's experiences of the First World War, chiefly as a present for my brother and sisters children and grandchildren, who don't remember him. I'll get it bound "like a real book" and give a copy to each of them for Christmas.

Never Let Me Go by Ishiguro was good (didn't watch the film). It was nice to be reminded of the quality of his writing, just as good as A Pale View of Hills, in my opinion, but the plot is, sadly, not very original. I haven't read The Buried Giant yet and there's a new one just out.

Nice idea with the book.

Ishiguro - that was a BBC Imagine program on him a while ago that I finally got to watch last week.  
My favourite book of his is An Artist of the Floating World which is kind of like a first draft of The Remains Of The Day only set in Japan.  Not as slick as the "re-write" but covering very similar themes, and IMO actually better - TROTD reads like a film script.

Never Let Me Go was brilliant - one of those books where I soon forget whether I have seen the film, because the impact of the book first time around was so strong,

Amazing that he got the Nobel for Literature 4 years ago, when he had only written 7 books and some short stories.  

Probably my favourite short story of all time is "A Family Supper".  It was in The Penguin Book of Modern British Short Stories  or you can just google the title.  Very Ishiguru, about things not said.

Edited by Droy was my hero

Liam w   
7 hours ago, Jasonb said:

Not Tom Clancy yet read Jack Reacher and his character is very not the good looking American.

Some good books though after about 9 it started to wear off, the format was too familiar. Still a good read up until then.

Yes in case you're wondering there were films starring Tom Cruise which upset a lot of followers as in the books Reacher is 6'5, Tom C. is clearly not.

I have to admit I haven't watched the Jack reacher films or even read the books. I imagine they would be quite comparable. I will have to give them a go once I have finished with the clancy set. It may take a while though, I am a slow reader and there seems to be half a library of the damn things.

As to poor casting of characters based on books, I imagine it would be quite difficult to find exact matches but there has been some truly horrendous ones over the years. I reckon casting directors have a tough job but you got to be totally void of any filaments to think Tom cruise could pull of a 6 foot 5 character

Sciatika   

The thing, for me, about the Jack Reacher books is that  Lee Childs is an absolute master of rhythm in the same way as, say, Raymond Chandler, William Gibson or any number of other really good authors in this field. Ian Rankin has it, too. If there is a fault, it is that in a small number of the books it takes a while to get going because Childs is preparing the pace of the central narrative. My favourites are the ones that have a crash at the start to get you going and then settle down into the gradually accelerating motion of the central book. I can't remember the titles, but the one set between two small towns called Hope and Despair, or the one with the anti-government organisation that he infiltrates. Michael Dibden is another. Lee Childs also seems to be able to write female characters - or, at least, that is what I am told.

Ham   
16 hours ago, Sciatika said:

Just finished my final dissertation and so I can finally move away from textbooks. It's a relief. I doubt I will do another. I am spending the summer writing a book about my Grandad's experiences of the First World War, chiefly as a present for my brother and sisters children and grandchildren, who don't remember him. I'll get it bound "like a real book" and give a copy to each of them for Christmas. So, it will be nice to get back to reading simply for the pleasure of it. I have a stack, mostly Scandi noir, some old Ian M Banks and A.S.Byatt and that Neil Gaiman thing about Norse Gods. I really enjoyed the Jack Reacher books, but they did get a bit same-y after a while. The author found a formula that worked, I suppose. Tom Cruise was a terrible choice for that role. Never Let Me Go by Ishiguro was good (didn't watch the film). It was nice to be reminded of the quality of his writing, just as good as A Pale View of Hills, in my opinion, but the plot is, sadly, not very original. I haven't read The Buried Giant yet and there's a new one just out.

What am amazing thing to do for your family. 👏👏👏👏

Jasonb   
15 hours ago, Liam w said:

I have to admit I haven't watched the Jack reacher films or even read the books. I imagine they would be quite comparable. I will have to give them a go once I have finished with the clancy set. It may take a while though, I am a slow reader and there seems to be half a library of the damn things.

As to poor casting of characters based on books, I imagine it would be quite difficult to find exact matches but there has been some truly horrendous ones over the years. I reckon casting directors have a tough job but you got to be totally void of any filaments to think Tom cruise could pull of a 6 foot 5 character

To be fair, a 6'5 actor with the gravitas to handle some rough stuff must be pretty hard to find.

The film makers also look to make money and nothing sells like a well known actor even though a mismatch for the role.

Having said I still enjoyed both films.

19 hours ago, Sciatika said:

Just finished my final dissertation and so I can finally move away from textbooks. It's a relief. I doubt I will do another. I am spending the summer writing a book about my Grandad's experiences of the First World War, chiefly as a present for my brother and sisters children and grandchildren, who don't remember him. I'll get it bound "like a real book" and give a copy to each of them for Christmas. So, it will be nice to get back to reading simply for the pleasure of it. I have a stack, mostly Scandi noir, some old Ian M Banks and A.S.Byatt and that Neil Gaiman thing about Norse Gods. I really enjoyed the Jack Reacher books, but they did get a bit same-y after a while. The author found a formula that worked, I suppose. Tom Cruise was a terrible choice for that role. Never Let Me Go by Ishiguro was good (didn't watch the film). It was nice to be reminded of the quality of his writing, just as good as A Pale View of Hills, in my opinion, but the plot is, sadly, not very original. I haven't read The Buried Giant yet and there's a new one just out.

Have you considered opening the book up to a wider audience ? It sounds a fascinating read to me . 

Liam w   
5 hours ago, Jasonb said:

To be fair, a 6'5 actor with the gravitas to handle some rough stuff must be pretty hard to find.

The film makers also look to make money and nothing sells like a well known actor even though a mismatch for the role.

Having said I still enjoyed both films.

If he was American that dolph lundgreen fella would be OK but Chris Hemsworth is supposed to be quite tall(about 6 2) and I assume he is american? he could probably sell to quite a large audience. But I agree with you. If I didn't already say, I  meant to say casting directors have quite a difficult job but Tom cruise has no part playing the part meant for a tall bloke.

Sciatika   
5 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

Have you considered opening the book up to a wider audience ? It sounds a fascinating read to me . 

I am thinking about it. There are lots of image rights issues. I am going to do the Christmas thing. see how it goes and then think about it after New Year.

1 minute ago, Sciatika said:

I am thinking about it. There are lots of image rights issues. I am going to do the Christmas thing. see how it goes and then think about it after New Year.

Good luck , sounds fantastic.

• Like 1