exiledblue

VAR and Chelsea

Watched Dermot Gallagher on Sky's ref watch this morning. He was asked how far refs can go back when reviewing a goal, and whether the Azpi 'foul' was 'clear and obvious'. Atkinson was looking straight at it and saw nothing. He didn't go to the monitor to review it and just relied on Dean's subjective call. Wasn't VAR meant to be restricted to check for fouls or possible penalties/ handballs in the box, offsides and possible red cards, not minor fouls outside the box? Or have I got that wrong?

Gallagher was unable to state how far back VAR can go. He agreed it was not a clear and obvious mistake by Atkinson, though he felt it was a foul by Azpi. He just admitted it was a clearly subjective call by Dean, who is of course scrupulously fair in the way he refs us.

On the non-red for Milner, he admitted it was an outrageous decision typical of the way certain refs blatantly favour Liverpool at Anfield. Well, not in so many words, but his inability to offer any plausible defence of the ref showed what a scandalous decision it was. No doubt Tierney faces demotion to the Championship, once he's phoned Guardiola to apologise.

bert19   

It'd be a lot easier for everyone if PGMOL just admit that individual Refs and VAR officials make it up as they go, week to week and if they just told one manager before each game "Yeh, you're going to have a shocking decision go against you today, plan accordingly" - at least that might feel a bit fairer.  

The standard of Reffing in the PL these days is beyond a joke.  

43 minutes ago, Backbiter said:

Watched Dermot Gallagher on Sky's ref watch this morning. He was asked how far refs can go back when reviewing a goal, and whether the Azpi 'foul' was 'clear and obvious'. Atkinson was looking straight at it and saw nothing. He didn't go to the monitor to review it and just relied on Dean's subjective call. Wasn't VAR meant to be restricted to check for fouls or possible penalties/ handballs in the box, offsides and possible red cards, not minor fouls outside the box? Or have I got that wrong?

Gallagher was unable to state how far back VAR can go. He agreed it was not a clear and obvious mistake by Atkinson, though he felt it was a foul by Azpi. He just admitted it was a clearly subjective call by Dean, who is of course scrupulously fair in the way he refs us.

Peter (Kent) Walton in the Times said you could go back to when Chelsea won the ball - which was Azpi.  But that missing Azpi's foul wasn't a clear and obvious error by the ref so should have been ignored on a VAR look.  This makes some sense, though a 19 sec delay still seems pretty outrageous.

You are right - Dean made a subjective call - which is not supposed to be part of VAR.  subjective calls and errors are fine with me if the man in black makes them.  Subjective calls by the man in the studio are out of order.
Had it been a lesser name in the studio, I can't believe the decision would have been changed.

43 minutes ago, Backbiter said:

On the non-red for Milner, he admitted it was an outrageous decision typical of the way certain refs blatantly favour Liverpool at Anfield. Well, not in so many words, but his inability to offer any plausible defence of the ref showed what a scandalous decision it was. No doubt Tierney faces demotion to the Championship, once he's phoned Guardiola to apologise.

At least this is a subjective decision made on the pitch, not with VAR.  As I understand VAR can only intervene if they think a Red has been missed, not a 2nd yellow.  
And if the ref had given that at Anfield he'd have been spat at.

Edited by Droy was my hero

36 minutes ago, Backbiter said:

Gallagher was unable to state how far back VAR can go.

It's a cop out , as we all now clearly see .

It's supposedly about passages of play and whether the defence has chance to re-set itself.

Three crosses were sent over after the "foul" before Werner headed it in.

Werner was robbed.

On purpose.

1 hour ago, Backbiter said:

and who was right by the milner incident....and didn't say a dcky bird....no corruption in English football ...yeah rightPep Guardiola rages at Mike Dean and takes jacket off in anger when told to  'calm down' by fourth official after James Milner escapes red card in Man  City's 2-2 draw at

By the way this is the same mike dean who was due to ref the fa cup final in 2006 and was changed due to concerns of him favouring liverpool as he comes from the Wirral...

The same Mike Dean who advised atkinson of Azpis marginal foul v southampton and the ward prowse red card... not normally shy of saying things is he...

chara   

Strikes me that Dean was in his own mind refereeing the game at a distance rather than applying an overview of things.

Surely it should be the match official asking for clarification rather than the off site official passing judgement?

paulw66   
1 hour ago, Droy was my hero said:

Peter (Kent) Walton in the Times said you could go back to when Chelsea won the ball - which was Azpi.  But that missing Azpi's foul wasn't a clear and obvious error by the ref so should have been ignored on a VAR look.  This makes some sense, though a 19 sec delay still seems pretty outrageous.

yes, it was a foul, but by no means a bad foul, or a terrible error.

19 second delay is just absurd, particularly for such an innocuous foul 

Edit - what was more outrageous, which was clearer from within the ground, was the delay from the goal, to the referee being called over to the screen. The players had finished celebrating and were back on the halfway line waiting to kick off. It was an absolute kick in the pants for Chelsea, and a shot in the arm for Southampton. We would have been much better off not scoring

1 hour ago, Droy was my hero said:

You are right - Dean made a subjective call - which is not supposed to be part of VAR.  subjective calls and errors are fine with me if the man in black makes them.  Subjective calls by the man in the studio are out of order.
Had it been a lesser name in the studio, I can't believe the decision would have been changed.

If you are going to overrule that sort of "mistake" you are effectively going to have a man in the studio re-refereeing every decision

Edited by paulw66