Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

chara

Ray Clemence,,,,A Worthy Opponent

chara   

Another Great passes...for me Ray Clemence was part of that "next generation" of English Keepers following on from Banks and his era...from a time when almost any English Keeper was good enough for the National side..some more than others of course...the pool slowly shrunk until we have very few English Keepers to choose from.

.The worth of a club...for us Chelsea of course...is measured by the strength of the opposition and the worth of opposing players.....to be succesful against such great players shows the true strength of a club.

Ray Clemence was a truly outstanding Keeper and alongside Peter Shilton showed the World that Banksie left a strong legacy....the Shilton/Clemence debate was one argued by most but I favoured Clemence to Shilton...not as a superior Keeper but I 'liked" watching him..Shilton..in a phrase I seem to have used a lot lately//I never warmed to....

So from a very modest keeper a salute and an appreciation of a Master of the Trade......RIP Ray...

Clemence was outstanding, in my opinion better than Shilton as well, and certainly better than many other of his predecessors.  Got on with his job quietly and efficiently, ad was still a top keeper after he left Liverpool for the Spuds.

RIP Ray Clemence.

I know it is not the right timing, but does no one remember his knee first attacks on any forward that dared to jump for the ball near him?
He pioneered this very aggressive style that thankfully seems to have been removed from the game now.  Not sure why, though keepers are so much more protected now that there is no kneed for them to get their protection in first anymore.

chara   
19 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

I know it is not the right timing, but does no one remember his knee first attacks on any forward that dared to jump for the ball near him?
He pioneered this very aggressive style that thankfully seems to have been removed from the game now.  Not sure why, though keepers are so much more protected now that there is no kneed for them to get their protection in first anymore.

Ah Droy.....having been put in hospital for four days after a deliberate knee out from an attacker whilst collecting a ground ball I tend to somewhat disagree regarding the protection and protecting views...thought I kneeded to mention this!

I think the extinction of the battering ram( and his equalling battering CH oppo) CF is as much at the bottom of the defence posture fading as anything. 

JaneB   
On 16/11/2020 at 9:22 PM, chara said:

Another Great passes...for me Ray Clemence was part of that "next generation" of English Keepers following on from Banks and his era...from a time when almost any English Keeper was good enough for the National side..some more than others of course...the pool slowly shrunk until we have very few English Keepers to choose from.

.The worth of a club...for us Chelsea of course...is measured by the strength of the opposition and the worth of opposing players.....to be succesful against such great players shows the true strength of a club.

Ray Clemence was a truly outstanding Keeper and alongside Peter Shilton showed the World that Banksie left a strong legacy....the Shilton/Clemence debate was one argued by most but I favoured Clemence to Shilton...not as a superior Keeper but I 'liked" watching him..Shilton..in a phrase I seem to have used a lot lately//I never warmed to....

So from a very modest keeper a salute and an appreciation of a Master of the Trade......RIP Ray...

Was very sorry to hear this news.  I remember when he announced his illness but it was so long ago I thought he had made a full recovery.

Sad times.