Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

chara

Blue Beer

chara   

A serious research project...need input from experts here.

What beer do you drink watching Chelsea....drowning your "disappointments" or celebrating the triumphs?

My starter...a Colorado brewed sturdy ale (for American suds as they say here)...from O'Dells Brewery in Fort Collins..."90 Shilling"...so named for the top of the range tax back in beer history..Scottish I believe but happy to be corrected>

Anyone?

Oh and thanks to a regular here for the nudge....

Ruudboy   

Already said, Chara, Rebellion Winter or Red, was Ringwood Old Thumper (boyhood tipple) until they added water to it. In the absence of which (when I can get it) Westvleteren from Belgium. Yum. Failing all else, and when I fancy a bit of the alternative, Wilkins Cider (arf’n’arf) from Mudgely. Puts hairs on yer chest.

Sciatika   

Honestly, whatever is available. Quite often, I don't drink beer at all.

chara   
5 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

Quite.  And mothing till we get our first goal.

Unless it's a special game to calm or celebrate not until after the game......bp can't take it!!!

blue moon....one of my good memories is being in Cambridge a couple of years ago for a wedding and being offered...on request..the landlords recommended local pint...wish I had made a note of it...first real pint for at least ten years.....was the day bats scored late in Spain.....

Ruudboy   

Having lived in Cambridge during my 20s (where I got a taste for the Us side that very nearly made it into the initial premiership), the major local beers are Adnams (Broadside, Explorer, Ghost Ship, Sole Star, Southwold Bitter, and Topaz Gold) or Greene King (Abbot Ale, IPA, Export , Olde Suffolk, St Edmunds or XX Mild). However, there are load of new microbreweries springing up. 

Give me the pub or roughly where it is, and the type of beer, and I might be able to furnish you with likely candidates.

chara   
3 hours ago, blue moon said:

Having lived in Cambridge during my 20s (where I got a taste for the Us side that very nearly made it into the initial premiership), the major local beers are Adnams (Broadside, Explorer, Ghost Ship, Sole Star, Southwold Bitter, and Topaz Gold) or Greene King (Abbot Ale, IPA, Export , Olde Suffolk, St Edmunds or XX Mild). However, there are load of new microbreweries springing up. 

Give me the pub or roughly where it is, and the type of beer, and I might be able to furnish you with likely candidates.

OK...we stayed at a hotel fronting the river ( on Chesterton Rd says Mrs C)and  a big open space park....walked from there to a snazzy upmarket restaurant..or rather event venue on the edge of the park and over the river..foodie chef type place for family lunch...us from USA and brides family from New Zealand....great very enjoyable meal lots of trendy courses and fun conversations....I digress....the couple were married at the registry office and walked from there to the venue........(added,,Mrs C says Arundel Hotel)

Little bit early so we all went in a  pub again on the river and then I had the conversation with the landlord who was a bit puzzled regarding my accent and USA no real beer for ten years comment!.....sorry can't remember pub name but it was a well established place as far as I could see...the landlord said the beer was brewed just down the road...three miles sticks in my head but that may be wrong!

Certainly it was a traditional bitter with "body"!!!

Accent...not lost it although left UK last time in "87..."I just lurve your accent"..me.."Had it a long time!"..Mrs C..very English.."I don't have an accent..you do!"

bert19   

@blue moon on the subject of Adnams, I got a big order from them this week. Box of Southwold Bitter, box of Mosaic pale ale and two boxes of their tasty new lager, Kobold. (Not all for me, shared the order with my Dad & some as xmas presents for family). 

Also enjoying Badger beers of late - Fursty Ferret (bitter) & Hopping Hare (pale) in particular. £1.50 a bottle in Sainsbury’s of late.

Tried a nice bottle of Marston’s 61 Deep last week - had it on draft at Lord’s last year and was pleased to see it was nice from the bottle too. 

Ruudboy   
On 03/12/2020 at 10:27 PM, chara said:

OK...we stayed at a hotel fronting the river ( on Chesterton Rd says Mrs C)and  a big open space park....walked from there to a snazzy upmarket restaurant..or rather event venue on the edge of the park and over the river..foodie chef type place for family lunch...us from USA and brides family from New Zealand....great very enjoyable meal lots of trendy courses and fun conversations....I digress....the couple were married at the registry office and walked from there to the venue........(added,,Mrs C says Arundel Hotel)

Little bit early so we all went in a  pub again on the river and then I had the conversation with the landlord who was a bit puzzled regarding my accent and USA no real beer for ten years comment!.....sorry can't remember pub name but it was a well established place as far as I could see...the landlord said the beer was brewed just down the road...three miles sticks in my head but that may be wrong!

Certainly it was a traditional bitter with "body"!!!

Accent...not lost it although left UK last time in "87..."I just lurve your accent"..me.."Had it a long time!"..Mrs C..very English.."I don't have an accent..you do!"

Challenging. The Arundel Hotel is north of the Cam (whatever happened to Cam4Blue? Irritating but well informed) on Chesterton Road. The Fort St George is south of the river and fits the bill - was a restaurant, although it’s been a while since I was there. The Waterman or the Boathouse may be the pub. I’ll go with the former as it’s independent, while the latter is tied to Green King. Beer is a challenge - but maybe Moonshine of Fulbourn (6m from Cambridge) - Cambridge Best?

chara   
8 minutes ago, blue moon said:

Challenging. The Arundel Hotel is north of the Cam (whatever happened to Cam4Blue? Irritating but well informed) on Chesterton Road. The Fort St George is south of the river and fits the bill - was a restaurant, although it’s been a while since I was there. The Waterman or the Boathouse may be the pub. I’ll go with the former as it’s independent, while the latter is tied to Green King. Beer is a challenge - but maybe Moonshine of Fulbourn (6m from Cambridge) - Cambridge Best?

Hey bm...many thanks....might be auto suggestion but the Moonshine sort of rings a bell......as a counterpoint...many years ago travelled by bus from Alicante to UK....dirt poor and basically lived on yoghurt (why I don't know) and Morcilla sausage from the village I lived in....sort of mated up with a Canadian lad..John ..funny what sticks...couldn;t wait to get a real beer on the ferry (duh) and show him...took first blessed mouthful...absolutely awful!!!......