JaneB

Chelsea Women

JaneB   

Someone asked for a topic on Chelsea Ladies.

We'll see how much interest there is.

Sciatika   

I have been watching them off and on for years on TV and have watched most of the WSL and Conti Cup this season. They have been brilliant this season.

On the verge of greatness I think. Unbeaten in nearly 2 years in the league. Top class players in nearly every position.

Ham   
3 minutes ago, RDC Williams said:

And now all games televised.

The fixture list is so random. 

Had been in the habit of going to Kingsmeadow for most home games before lockdown last March. They are absolutely miles ahead of all bar City, Arsenal and United, and they are a good few miles ahead of that lot, too!

Nice to Fran Kirby back well and fit. You'd have never known she was gone.

1 hour ago, thevelourfog said:

Had been in the habit of going to Kingsmeadow for most home games before lockdown last March. They are absolutely miles ahead of all bar City, Arsenal and United, and they are a good few miles ahead of that lot, too!

Nice to Fran Kirby back well and fit. You'd have never known she was gone.

Fran Kirby has has a terrible time with her health, but she is back with a bang! 

I think the physicality of the women's game has come on a lot in the past couple of years. They look super fit and athletic now. Tactically they have some way to go because individual talent still reigns supreme, but it's an enjoyable watch and we are finally catching up the Americans.

I am also glad to see Fran Kirby back , she's a smashing player . 

Sciatika   

In some ways, there has been a huge improvement in the quality of the football played in the last year or two across the WSL. I am not sure why. I think a lot more of the games have been watched during COVID and so people are noticing it more and maybe that has added to the competition. The levels of fitness and strength have improved... and the skill levels of the players. Even the GKs seem much better now. When Man United entered the competition, maybe that brought in a bigger audience.

I think it's beginning to mature as a fully professional environment. We obviously have a long way to go (my 8 year old daughter was surprised to see women playing football), but it really has improved exponentially in the last couple of years.

In the USA the women are justifiably expecting equal pay with men - their "soccer" team is the most successful sports team in the country and attracts huge audiences. We are nowhere near that here yet, but possibly in my daughter's lifetime we will see parity.