JaneB

Euro (2020) 2021

Jasonb   

The second half of the Netherlands v Ukraine was the best half of the tournament to date.

Five goals and some worth watching especially the first Ukrainian one.

Lewandowski may be great for Bayern, but his national team does not have a Thomas Muller, Coman or a Gnabry to give him the service he thrives on.  And Nigel De Jong is bloody awful as a pundit, he's just a cliche machiine.

Edited by blueandproud

26 minutes ago, blueandproud said:

Lewandowski may be great for Bayern, but his national team does not have a Thomas Muller, Coman or a Gnabry to give him the service he thrives on.  And Nigel De Jong is bloody awful as a pundit, he's just a cliche machiine.

We have to swerve him and Kane for that matter .

Holymoly   

I live in a house full of Scots but couldn't suppress a bit of a giggle at Czech Rep's second.

JaneB   

Kante doing what he does 😀 and Havertz doing what he does ☹️

And Rudiger hopefully not doing what that looked like.

chara   

Admittedly I'm not a sophisticate regarding football but to my untutored eyes England couldn't live with Germany or France...much as I hate to say it...then again Grealish winning fk's around the box would be a good tactic.

• Like 1

Jasonb   

Rudiger needs to be careful for me, first that solid body check on De Bruyne and now a Hannibal Lecter impression on Pogba. Not sure there is anything on Pogba yet he is raising his profile in the wrong way and Refs will notice. 

• Like 1

bert19   
15 hours ago, JaneB said:

Kante doing what he does 😀 and Havertz doing what he does ☹️

And Rudiger hopefully not doing what that looked like.

I thought Havertz looked quite good, nice movement, was working hard to find spaces but was up against a German team with no cohesion and a really well-organised French defence.  Muller was dreadful - did he pick a pass forward all night? 

Germany are going to struggle if they keep that 3-4-3 with it's current personnel - shunting your best CM out to RWB is never a good ploy.  And the two at CM last night don't have enough legs, aggression or energy to play as the two in that formation.  I think it could be a very different look if they had Kimmich and Goretzka in there. 

It seems like Loew is just going to ignore the qualities of his players in order to shoehorn them into his own idea for a system though - creating round holes for square pegs.  

France look good though - Kante's so good that he can make a timewaster like Pogba look decent.  The front three showed incredible workrate too. 

chara   

With 25 minutes to go I said to Mrs C (she might,repeat,might have listened.) that Germany had better score because France were going to score and finish it any time now...OK..two disallowed goals...one definately off side but not convinced about the other one...but a superb finish regardless for the first one....second one reminded me of a goal from the past,,,but it appears to have slipped my mind!..anyone?