Sign in to follow this  
chara

Miscastings we have loved/hated..a CSSL..series 2

chara   

As prompted by a books posting.....and I don't mean miscast as per..for instance....Baka as a footballer.....(hmm..muses...could be sub section?)

Anyone?

Edited by chara
  • Like 1

Big Stephen King fan , he authored a series of books under the "Dark Tower" banner .

Roland Deschain the main character clearly , clearly based on Clint Eastwood's "man with no name" character .

They turn it into a film , who do they cast ? Idris Elba . Film is a flop.

Elba is a fine , charismatic actor , dripping with talent but evidently nothing like the character he's playing .

Ruudboy   

There are so many - the remake of the Italian Job with Mark Wahlberg, Jason Statham and Charlize Theron; the remake of Get Carter with Stallone …

And slightly off topic, but every film of 39 Steps totally sidesteps Buchan’s original plot, where there is no love interest and Mr Memory Man doesn’t exist. Even Master & Commander - a great film, but in reality a mishmash of several of Patrick O’Brien’s 21 Aubrey/Maturin novels. 

chara   

Winchester 73...the original a great movie of it's time....Jimmie Stewart the incomprable Dan Durea bit parts for Rock Hudson and Tony Curtis..the remake a mishmash of almost stars and nowhere near the "of it's b/w time" original.

Oh and "The Get Away'...

Sciatika   

Brad Pitt as Achilles? Really? All he had to do was hang out with Patroclus and spend a year in his tent having a strop.

chara   
17 minutes ago, Sciatika said:

Brad Pitt as Achilles? Really? All he had to do was hang out with Patroclus and spend a year in his tent having a strop.

I'm sure he's been on here under another name "having a strop"!

Meant to mention "The Thomas Crown Affair"....got a bit sidetracked here on movies rather than miscasts but in the true spirit of CFCnet any spinoff is acceptable...if with a smile !

chara   

I wonder if we should add a sub section for the perfect casting?.....for example..Eli Wallach in "The Magniicent Seven"..Calvera...and the miscast Robert Fuller as Vin in "Return of The Seven",,not that he was bad,,just not Vin...suppose I should add Yul Brynner in "Return"..disappearing up his own a*** overplaying Chris with no upstaging stars to worry him!...I know ..showing my age but we do have a Western Channel here which does show the occasional classic...and a lot of dross!

And Mark..Idris Elba,,agree absolutely.

Edited by chara

Liam w   

Glad this got its own page. It was a thought that crossed my mind

One that really gets me is the book/movie : Dune where Feyd Ratha is played by sting he was meant to be a cool and collected dark haired bloke instead we had to witness sting with his bleached blonde hair awkwardly stumble through the whole film. Such a good book that was destroyed on the silver screen

14 minutes ago, Liam w said:

Glad this got its own page. It was a thought that crossed my mind

One that really gets me is the book/movie : Dune where Feyd Ratha is played by sting he was meant to be a cool and collected dark haired bloke instead we had to witness sting with his bleached blonde hair awkwardly stumble through the whole film. Such a good book that was destroyed on the silver screen

At least the film didn't suffer from disappointing follow up like the book did.