chara

The Way We Were..a chara sslt..series 2

chara   

Following on from Northern Lights CFCnet team.... as a matter of interest and a smile what position did anyone play?...the level is of no importance and schooldays are as valid as anytime.

Mr Kelly was a LB it seems and NL a CF,,(his football and his team !) ....Anyone?

Ruudboy   

Sprinted 220 yds in around 24 seconds in mid teens, so either wing, but eventually - due to putting on the inches as I approached my later teens - got lumbered with RB. Hated it so stopped playing.

Sciatika   

Right Fullback. In theory, we played Herbert Chapman-style WM (3-2-2-3), which was the norm then for schoolboys, presumably because that was what the teachers had learnt. It's like the very old 2-3-5 but with the CM playing a bit deeper. However, in practice, the games consisted of all the boys crowding around the ball in a particularly muddy corner of the pitch. It used to drive the games teacher scatty. I had few redeeming features as a schoolboy footballer and was always the last to be picked. Still true, even now, for my weekly 5-a-side.

LB in Sunday football and schools football with a touch of RB on occasion , but top scorer in my five a side team , a bit of an old times Alonso , only slower !

Oh and despite being vertically challenged played in goal for school reserves and scouts .

Edited by Mark Kelly

Ham   

Centre forward Sunday League. Often played right winger. 

I have the height and was also pretty pacy in my day. Haven't played for 10 years since my right achilles went which meant I couldn't do my job for 6 weeks. Boss wasn't impressed. 

44 minutes ago, Sciatika said:

Right Fullback. In theory, we played Herbert Chapman-style WM (3-2-2-3), which was the norm then for schoolboys, presumably because that was what the teachers had learnt. It's like the very old 2-3-5 but with the CM playing a bit deeper. However, in practice, the games consisted of all the boys crowding around the ball in a particularly muddy corner of the pitch. It used to drive the games teacher scatty. I had few redeeming features as a schoolboy footballer and was always the last to be picked. Still true, even now, for my weekly 5-a-side.

My Soccer heights were as goalkeeper for the 2nd team in my primary school.  No great achievement since we had 30 kids in our year, and half were girls.
For almost every break and lunch time at secondary school I played footie but never got any better.  Kind of like the real Droy trying to play as if he were Kante and 2 seconds late to every tackle.  Years later I realised I was a lot better at running with no ball involved.

chara   

Hmm....bit heavy on defensive players....sounds like Droy could be our Werner runner...no need to look for the ball...a long tradition at Chelsea....

I also think we should be looking for a coach.....getting the bus to a game might be tough.......especially if we have to go "upstairs".

Edited by chara

3 minutes ago, chara said:

Hmm....bit heavy on defensive players....sounds like Droy could be our Werner runner...no need to look for the ball...a long tradition at Chelsea....

I also think we should be looking for a coach.....getting the bus to a game might be tough.......especially if we have to go "upstairs".

Langley, Birchenall, Boyle, Brolly, Fleck, Ramires,  Marin