chara

The Way We Were..a chara sslt..series 2

On 11/29/2021 at 9:27 PM, r.bartlett said:

Sorting out my late mothers things I came across this

I was central midfielder seen here at our (Berg Boys in Basingstoke) award night with a face  some might reckonise..?

bergboys.jpg

Hey thats cool Peter Houseman-well disguised with the beard

6 hours ago, fillerywhereru said:

Hey thats cool Peter Houseman-well disguised with the beard

Boom!

yes the Peter set the league up and the Houseman youth league still continues in the area to this very day.. Luckily  our manager Tony was also a Chelsea fan and he pulled a few strings to get him there for our awards night...

• Like 1

My dad was a decent defender and actually had trials for Chelsea in the early 70s, he got invited back but didn’t make selection, he still has the letter from Chelsea asking him to the trials. I’m sure he said a young Ian Britton was there at the trials.

As for me I played right wing and was once involved in a 33-0 win!! It was the same weekend that united beat Crystal Palace 9-0 so we made the Sun paper as a little sideline story lol

• Like 1

Ham   
1 hour ago, Jonny_CFC said:

My dad was a decent defender and actually had trials for Chelsea in the early 70s, he got invited back but didn’t make selection, he still has the letter from Chelsea asking him to the trials. I’m sure he said a young Ian Britton was there at the trials.

As for me I played right wing and was once involved in a 33-0 win!! It was the same weekend that united beat Crystal Palace 9-0 so we made the Sun paper as a little sideline story lol

Brilliant 🙂

• Like 1

played right wing at school but couldnt cross a ball very well tbh. Then I played Sunday league for a local team of mates as a second striker (some good players there.. I wasnt one of them) Our coach was a rabid gooner and used to wind the chelsea fans in the team up constantly. In one season I scored a goal in six consecutive games, but not much else. what I wouldnt give to be able to play now. 

paulw66   

My nephew played an 11 a side game a week or so ago, and among the opposition players was a 48 year old Anthony Barness (look him up, youngsters)

He said he absolutely ran the game, playing in an attacking midfield position. They couldn't get near him. Just shows the difference in class.........here is a guy, who even in his pomp was an ordinary PL full back, and now at 48, can dominate a team of amateurs, playing not even the position he played as a pro! 

35 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

My nephew played an 11 a side game a week or so ago, and among the opposition players was a 48 year old Anthony Barness (look him up, youngsters)

The man that wasn't Scott Minto as I recall.  Probably like Gullitt when he rolled up at the Bridge.

1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

He said he absolutely ran the game, playing in an attacking midfield position. They couldn't get near him. Just shows the difference in class.........here is a guy, who even in his pomp was an ordinary PL full back, and now at 48, can dominate a team of amateurs, playing not even the position he played as a pro! 

There is a huge difference, I played in teams with ex pros and they make the whole thing look easy. Played against Clive walker once and he was jet quick even at the age of 50 plus and his touch and use of the ball superb.

Sciatika   

Love Clive Walker on CTV matches. His advice when an opposition defender takes a shot and it ends up in row Z is to say "nice clearance" as you walk past.

35 minutes ago, fillerywhereru said:

There is a huge difference, I played in teams with ex pros and they make the whole thing look easy. Played against Clive walker once and he was jet quick even at the age of 50 plus and his touch and use of the ball superb.

While he gave us some fantastic moments in his Chelsea career (Liverpool and Bolton the obvious highlights), there was so much more to come from him as a player than a speedy, goal-scoring winger. If he could have married that speed, skill, touch and real football intelligence with self-belief and consistency he could have reached the very top, rather than just showing flashes (pun intended) of looking like a world-beater. 

Most of my years watching him were sheer frustration, knowing what he was capable of.

I'm full of admiration for the way he just kept playing and playing long into his forties, and I really like him as a pundit.