JaneB

Chelsea 7 Norwich City 0

paulw66   

I presume we are looking at Havertz at no9

Combination of Mount, Ziyech and CHO on the flanks, assuming no Pulisic. 

Presume Reece comes in and possibly RLC/Alonso/Chalobah

bert19   

I'd play RLC, CHO & Kai in the front three if we're sticking with the 3-4-3 / 3-4-1-2 formation for Saturday. 

I was at the game last night and I thought Mount was dreadful tbh.  His deliveries were either massively overhit or he just kept taking extra touches and then playing the ball backwards/sideways when he could put the ball into the box.  CHO & Havertz looked like they were working quite well off each other, so I think they should start (and will have to), but Mount's not playing well. RLC is, so maybe use him in the #10 on Saturday? 

I have to say though, if I was a forward at Chelsea, I'd be having major gripes at my teammates after games like last night.  The number of times we could deliver early passes or crosses into the box and don't, but instead slow it down, pass sideways, take time and thus make a forward's life a lot harder in terms of movement and getting free of a marker is quite troubling.  Tuchel's definitely got to change something there.  

If we're going to be 3-43, I see something like this on Saturday: 

Mendy

Azpi Christensen Rudiger 

James Kova Kante Chilwell 

RLC 

CHO Havertz

Personally, I'd like us to change it up a bit and add a forward/AM to overwhelm Norwich and encourage more direct movement into their box.  4-2-3-1: 

Mendy 

James Christensen Rudiger Chilwell 

Trev Kante

Mount RLC CHO 

Havertz  

Diddymen   
3 minutes ago, bert19 said:

If we're going to be 3-43, I see something like this on Saturday: 

Mendy

Azpi Christensen Rudiger 

James Kova Kante Chilwell 

RLC 

CHO Havertz

Personally, I'd like us to change it up a bit and add a forward/AM to overwhelm Norwich and encourage more direct movement into their box.  4-2-3-1: 

Mendy 

James Christensen Rudiger Chilwell 

Trev Kante

Mount RLC CHO 

Havertz  

from what I read, Jorgihno had a great game last night. Surely he should start. Bearing in mind we can rest a few players on Wednesday as its the caribou cup

bert19   
2 minutes ago, Diddymen said:

from what I read, Jorgihno had a great game last night. Surely he should start. Bearing in mind we can rest a few players on Wednesday as its the caribou cup

Agreed, he did play quite well, but also definitely adds to our lack of directness and incisiveness in midfield (wonderful though he is at keeping possession).  I picked Trev as I thought he might be a bit more dynamic and pose a bit more goal-threat really tbh. 

57 minutes ago, Diddymen said:

I thought the contrast between our control of the Malmo game and the Brentford game (where the possession really wasn't going anywhere) was incredible.  Silva, Rudiger but mostly Jorginho played a big part in that.

1 hour ago, bert19 said:

I'd play RLC, CHO & Kai in the front three if we're sticking with the 3-4-3 / 3-4-1-2 formation for Saturday. 

Yes - that is where all three have to play long term.  Especially RLC.
For all 3, what is the point of having the unusual ability to leave a man standing if you aren't doing it in or on the edge of their box?

Holymoly   

It seems to me the the match against Norwich provides us with three alternatives.

1. The most conservative. Just play CHO amd Havertz in place of Lukaku and Werner. The rest of the team set up in the usual way with the usual suspects.

2. Promote from within. Advance players like RLC or Alonso up into attacking positions, supporting them from midfield with the likes of Mount and/or Barkley.

3. Plunder the Academy for a striker because it is, after all, only Norwich and Billy won't be playing for them.

bert19 suggested playing RLC, CHO and Havertz as an attacking three but the problem with that is that Havertz needs Mount in the side to be effective and with those three up front there isn't really any room for him.

I'd assume the back three will be Chalobah / Christensen / Rudiger. The wing backs will be Chillwell with Azpilicueta (especially if we are going to be a bit experimental up front).

I'd expect Kovacic to play in midfield due to his absence last night with possibly Barkley along side him. Up front then resolves into CHO / Havertz/ Mount.

Of course TT has a habit of making us all look like the idiots we are when it comes to picking a side in these situations.

Edited by Holymoly

Diddymen   

I actually think this match would have been perfect for Lukaku. 

In the last two games Norwich have moved to a back 3 with 2 wbs, and have conceded 0 goals. So I don’t think there will be much space for Havertz, CHO or Mount in their half. 

Crosses in their box would have been perfect. 

Oh well

Blue Rod   

An opportunity to play with Freedom of Movement. Sure you don't always need to change players in order to change the way you play. But a change of player has been forced upon us. I still think that our team is capable of winning by playing a more attacking, more creative football; not all the time, but some times. C'mon, London's, Europe's Finest.

16 hours ago, paulw66 said:

Havertz is going to be no9 

Agreed

IMO TT got two matches to find a plan B system which utilises Havertz and make our attacking options more potent. Maybe its a case of changing the formation to 433 rather than 352 for these games and playing the strongest team than squad rotation. "Playing Malmo with a strong team and our key strikers getting injured was a bit of a freak tbh". If it does not work `tt can go back to the well drilled 352.

Assuming Werner and Lukaku are out for a couple of week, team selection and formation needs to be in place before the trip to Toon Toon land, because the everything including kitchen sink is going to be throw at the team during that match