JaneB

Chelsea 1 Southampton 1 (4 - 3 on penalties)

Arkie   
1 hour ago, chiswickblue said:

I understood his point to be that Maka only became a DM when he had more experience - the same could be said for Mikel, but he was also a giant.

English football is typically very suspicious of playing a playmaker-type midfielder deep in central midfield, rather than a big strong tackler. Gilmour may been seen as the heir to Jorginho's role, but getting him experience in the same position in the PL is going to be very difficult as shown by the Norwich experience. So, do you ship him out to a league of lower quality where he can play in this preferred role, or keep him in the PL and ask him to play further forward whilst he gains more experience? I'd prefer the latter.

I say its time for Billy to go to Italy for a loan.

2 hours ago, chiswickblue said:

I understood his point to be that Maka only became a DM when he had more experience - the same could be said for Mikel, but he was also a giant.

English football is typically very suspicious of playing a playmaker-type midfielder deep in central midfield, rather than a big strong tackler. Gilmour may been seen as the heir to Jorginho's role, but getting him experience in the same position in the PL is going to be very difficult as shown by the Norwich experience. So, do you ship him out to a league of lower quality where he can play in this preferred role, or keep him in the PL and ask him to play further forward whilst he gains more experience? I'd prefer the latter.

Well explained, me tto.

11 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

As it happens, I agree with you. So why isn't he, in your opinion?

It was a pretty curt agreement.  I guess I should remember have blunt you can be when you disagree  :)

Various possible reasons, I wouldn't know which is valid for Gilmour:

He is at that difficult age where players want to do their own thing rather than follow the paths of their elders and wisers.  (Livramento etc)
But a valuable asset so best to avoid direct confrontation
The youth coaches want their best player playing in the key position to get the best results (so playmaker or CF).  They want trophies not successful stars in the future.
There is no physical requirement for a physical DM in youth football, other than being mobile (the opposite to say Matic style DM).
That Liverpool game confused everyone.  Maybe there was a long term development plan at say AM, but suddenly Frank was pushing for him in the squad with no prepararion for any other role
TT I guess reads the club files on every player and takes them as his starting point and then works out his own version later.

Just general "how we screwed up stuff"

5 hours ago, chiswickblue said:

I feel the generalization and the premise of that particular post of that particular poster were way off. The generalization being that short players can't be DM at a young age, the premise being that gilmour can't play as well or is not doing a good job.

Gilmour has already played multiple games in that position for us and been great. He has earned rave reviews while playing for scotland (I dont watch scottish games hence can't claim, but based on what I have read). Hence, you can see my problem with the post. Its a horrible biased take of someone who consistently has had an agenda against the player and the youth in general. Hell, the same poster claimed that RLC was a no.10 or 9 yet somehow TT is playing him as a 6 and he is doing a great job. The same poster who claimed that none of the loanees of last year will get any meaningful time, yet TC is playing every other game while RLC keeps popping up too.

Coming back to gilmour, problem with this particular loan is the team. If you had to choose a team that would be relegated before the first whistle of the season, you would have picked norwich. They are ****. That 7-0 game was probably the most inapt "PL" team, I have ever seen. 0 tactical play, desire, game-plan and lack of literally any quality. You can put in Jorginho/Kante there, and they would still lose 5-0 and 7-0 to every top club in PL (having already lost 3-0 to pool. 5-0 to city and 7-0 to us).  He should have gone to a way better team than norwich.

Edited by didierforever