chara

Watching Chelsea Viewpoints..changed?

chara   

As a Chelsea follower of many many years I was thinking how my view of Chelsea..and the game has changed...prompted by wondering (and remembering!) how the Norwich fans kept going.

When I first followed Chelsea it was often with  youthful hope of victory and securing safety from relegation..tempered as I grew older...but always Chelsea first and secondary considerations for the rest of the league except The Cup Final as was.

Now...every game is seen as a step towards the qualification places and all competing top team results analyzed and dissected.

Instead of the weekly triumph or tragedy all results are viewed on a long haul basis.

How do you all see things now?

JaneB   

Agreed Chara.

Now coming 4th and qualifying for the Champions League is seen as more important than winning the FA Cup.  Maybe it is, but there's nothing like triumphing at Wembley in one of those finals (ok, except maybe triumphing in Porto!). 

And because of technology advances we are constantly bombarded with data and analysis of absolutely everything to saturation point.  Add to that, VAR, dodgy refs, virtue signalling, T-shirts with messages on, and so it goes on.

It's exhausting.

21 minutes ago, JaneB said:

Now coming 4th and qualifying for the Champions League is seen as more important than winning the FA Cup.  Maybe it is, but there's nothing like triumphing at Wembley in one of those finals (ok, except maybe triumphing in Porto!). 

Well come on, this season is about finishing first in the PL, not 4th.  And at least getting to the CL finals.  In my mind, the FA cup really does fade into insignificance.  LC or World club champions what ever it is - who cares.

21 minutes ago, JaneB said:

And because of technology advances 1.  we are constantly bombarded with data and analysis of absolutely everything to saturation point.  Add to that, 2. VAR, dodgy refs,
3. virtue signalling, T-shirts with messages on, and so it goes on.

yeah.  1 I at least like, because I got sick to death of people saying XXX is sh1t because of 2 or 3 bigoted posters or TV commentators, most of them with an agenda.
2.  We had dodgy refs from 2005 to 2017.  They seem better than ever now (low bar).  
VAR was awful in its first year but got a lot better last year.  This year, a mixture of improvements, better TV coverage and the process of us (me at least) getting used to it, I think it has substantially improved.  To the point where it is probably a small net improvement over no VAR.  There are still some fundamental bad decisions, some clear abuse of VAR to show bias and some inane rules, like bookings that can't be made or cancelled through VAR (leading to no ref daring to book for diving).  But they are probably no worse than the old ways.  At least violent play gets looked at by 2 refs (pitch and can) whereas previous they had to prove the ref hadn't seen it before they could intervene post match.

3.  That is just modern life though.  From LGBT through to LGB there are somethings you can't say or do.  Football gets of pretty lightly, kneeling and "no room for racism" stickers on the TV screen (even watching the match on Polish TV yesterday).  It could be much worse.  Imagine if you were a big strictly fan?  Or a women's athletics fan.

Edited by Droy was my hero

23 minutes ago, JaneB said:

Agreed Chara.

And because of technology advances we are constantly bombarded with data and analysis of absolutely everything to saturation point.  Add to that, VAR, dodgy refs, virtue signalling, T-shirts with messages on, and so it goes on.

It's exhausting.

Which bit of "virtue signalling" do you object to... 'taking the knee' or poppies on shirts?

chara   
1 hour ago, Bob Singleton said:

Which bit of "virtue signalling" do you object to... 'taking the knee' or poppies on shirts?

I think Jane was less objecting to anything specifically than pointing out the added issues around the game and the fan /media processing of such.

Edited by chara

Ham   
2 hours ago, Bob Singleton said:

What was your point here Bob?

asvaberg   
11 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

Well come on, this season is about finishing first in the PL, not 4th.  And at least getting to the CL finals.  In my mind, the FA cup really does fade into insignificance.  LC or World club champions what ever it is - who cares.

As I understand Chara's post, I agree that our Chelsea expectations have changed over time -  mine too, a lot! 

From dreaming of finally experiencing a victory at Old Trafford September 17, 1977 (match broadcasted live on Norwegian TV)

- to dreaming of a promotion in 1984

- to have our first trophy since 1970 (FA Cup 1997)

- and winning the league for the first time since 1955 (2005)

- and to win the Champions League (2012).

It has been an exciting journey and the expectations are now "slightly" different than when Clive Walker in 1983 more or less secured our position and we didn't relegate to 3rd division......

OUR BOLTON CONTRASTS:

http://thechels.info/wiki/Bolton_Wanderers_0-1_Chelsea_(1982-83_Second_Division)

vs.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/eng_prem/4476063.stm

:)

Edited by asvaberg

Sciatika   

To be honest I am still overjoyed when we win a game especially one against a team who all play in their own penalty area. Silverware simply compounds the joy together. When it is not working out and we concede a last-minute equaliser or loss, I avoid TV and radio for a couple of days and comfort myself with the thought that at least I am not a Spurs supporter.

I feel fortunate to have been a pre-teen kid in the late 90s/early 00s, the years when I got into football, as that was the era that was the tail end of a lot of traditional and sentimental aspects that have now died out. It was before social media for one thing. It was just before the FA Cup (and League Cup too?) started to lose the romance and when the UEFA Cup had far more prestige than the EL does now (I remember enjoying the fact we finished 6th to qualify for Europe). Most teams still played at their historical traditional, tightly packed grounds, today very few do having moved to "soulless bowls". International games and tournaments felt less of an annoyance than now.

The crowds looked more excited and wild when goals went in,  atmospheres were better, I imagine a higher proportion of supporters were hardcore supporters and in the years since it's become more comfortable for casual supporters and tourists to attend games which has diluted things. Perhaps also many of the hardcore are older and want a quieter day out, and the new generations haven't quite taken up the mantle. Certainly true for us. 

It was already all corporate and money driven back then, but the level of corporate influence and capitalist consolidation has gone into overdrive in the years since, the level of globalisation back then was largely restricted to United, but now we are all at it. The wall between us and the players/club feels larger, 

It's certainly sad that supporters can't just enjoy a season in and of itself. Sometimes going to or watching a football match is about that match in isolation. Not everything is a narrative. I think it's a football supporter equivalent of "Temporarily Embarrassed Millionaires". All supporters now feel entitled to success and throw a strop if it doesn't come. Everything nowadays is far too hysterical and reactive.

Despite all of this, I still very much feel that same excitement and butterflies in my stomach for the League Cup and FA Cup. Also one of my most memorable games of the 2010s decade was the 2-2 VS Spurs in 2016, a season we finished 10th of course. It's not always about the flashy success.

I'm 51 and can remember 1979-83, the truly crap years, and getting stick at school From Spurs, Arsenal and West Ham supporters, not to mention plastic Liverpool and Man Utd fans, loved the 1984 promotion, and enjoyed the '84-86 Dixon/Speedie/Nevin et al team.  We should never had gone down in 1988, the 1975 and 1979 teams were rubbish, but te 1988 team had  good quality players who were badly coached and managed by Hollins and Whalley.  The stability/mediocrity (delete where applicable) of 1990-96 follwed, followed by the cup successes of 1997-2000, then a few barren years before Roman came and made us the top dogs with is financial backing.  The Aberamovich era is the golden age, I'm enjoying it, stuff the puerile and biased journalists or ex-pros, they're opinions are invalid as far as I'm concerned, I'm going to enjoy this golden age while it lasts, if it goes pear shaped I will continue to support the club until my dying day.

• Thanks 1