JaneB

Leicester City 0 Chelsea 3

Diddymen   
30 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

And which manager for Man U?

surely if they were going to sack OGS it would have been at the start of the international break?

7 hours ago, paulw66 said:

Really?

Christensen had a free header from a CHO cross that he missed the target with

Silva had a free header from a corner that he mistimed and hit his shoulder and hit the post

CHO had a shot saved and albeit from a tight angle, just had to hit the target with the rebound, with the GK lying on the floor

CHO cut inside early in the second half and shot straight at the GK with his left foot

Barkley had the goal at his mercy and blazed the ball into Putney.

Our expected goals (not that I like it) was similar to that in the games against Norwich and Newcastle. 

Christensen has scored one goal for Chelsea, so no chance for him is ever really an easy one. Neither of CHO's chances were easy. Barkley and Silva should have done better with their chances. So that's one goal and a couple of chances where we should have scored one or two more from, which backs up my point about the 25 shots on goal hardly being a case of us tearing their defence apart and missing loads of great chances.

52 minutes ago, Diddymen said:

surely if they were going to sack OGS it would have been at the start of the international break?

Well yes, that would have been the logic 3 weeks ago.
image.thumb.png.9b2732fc44f13fec9ddab0d4ea2b0b25.png

Maybe something has changed in the meantime.
Plenty of hacks have written about who they are talking to - which confirms one thing absolutely.

(That a lot of hacks think the same about Man U as me - we think they need a new manager)

8 hours ago, paulw66 said:

Our expected goals (not that I like it) was similar to that in the games against Norwich and Newcastle. 

Yes (except I like it).  Won't have bothered TT much at all.

Edited by Droy was my hero

paulw66   
32 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

Christensen has scored one goal for Chelsea, so no chance for him is ever really an easy one. Neither of CHO's chances were easy. Barkley and Silva should have done better with their chances. So that's one goal and a couple of chances where we should have scored one or two more from, which backs up my point about the 25 shots on goal hardly being a case of us tearing their defence apart and missing loads of great chances.

Whatever way you cut the cake, through a combination of good and half chances, we should have scored far more than the one goal. Nothing to do with poor tactics, formation etc 

Blue Rod   
9 hours ago, paulw66 said:

Really?

Christensen had a free header from a CHO cross that he missed the target with

Silva had a free header from a corner that he mistimed and hit his shoulder and hit the post

CHO had a shot saved and albeit from a tight angle, just had to hit the target with the rebound, with the GK lying on the floor

CHO cut inside early in the second half and shot straight at the GK with his left foot

Barkley had the goal at his mercy and blazed the ball into Putney.

I don't know how you could compare our performance against Burnley to that against Norwich where we had clear, clean and proper chances - CHO racing through to 1 v 1 with keeper, Mount tapping into an empty net, then taking a penalty twice, etc. Not once in the 90 min did we open up Burnley or creat a 1 v 1 with their keeper.

CHO's early chance against Burnley wasn't even a half chance. To call it one quarter chance would be generous. To score from such an angle and the way, the ball rebound quickly to CHO, you need the most clinical striker and a hopeless goalkeeper. 

Barkley's chance had about 4 Burnley players linied up in their goal. As I have said earlier, if Barkley hit the ball on target, there is a high chance it would have hit a Burnley player anyway. 

As for the headers, you get a few of those in a match and people only remember them if you fail to win. We didn't talk about missed headers against Norwich because we had created enough real chances. 

Our formation against Burnley just didn't work. Our wingbacks would have been more effective arriving later behind the wingers. Instead they were ieading the attack,. They had to be quick back and forth, and it took a toll on them. It was an unnecessary switch from that against Norwich, and we were facing the worst Burnley team of several seasons. 

paulw66   
15 hours ago, Blue Rod said:

I don't know how you could compare our performance against Burnley to that against Norwich where we had clear, clean and proper chances - CHO racing through to 1 v 1 with keeper, Mount tapping into an empty net, then taking a penalty twice, etc. Not once in the 90 min did we open up Burnley or creat a 1 v 1 with their keeper.

Sure, Burnley aren't as terrible as Norwich, so those vast open spaces weren't there. 

The late couple of goals against Norwich are barely worth mentioning as they had long since given up by then (and playing with 10)

CHO's early chance against Burnley wasn't even a half chance. To call it one quarter chance would be generous. To score from such an angle and the way, the ball rebound quickly to CHO, you need the most clinical striker and a hopeless goalkeeper. 

Very generous description. Do you mean from the first shot, or the second shot, or both? The goalkeeper was on the ground for the second shot, so hopeless or not, hit the target and it's a likely goal. 

What about his chance in the second half? 

Barkley's chance had about 4 Burnley players linied up in their goal. As I have said earlier, if Barkley hit the ball on target, there is a high chance it would have hit a Burnley player anyway. 

Fact is, he didn't. Hit it above waist high and you have a chance of a goal, or possible handball. He smashed it towards the Kings Road instead. 

As for the headers, you get a few of those in a match and people only remember them if you fail to win. We didn't talk about missed headers against Norwich because we had created enough real chances. 

Free headers from 6 yards? Not so much. 

Our formation against Burnley just didn't work. Our wingbacks would have been more effective arriving later behind the wingers. Instead they were ieading the attack,. They had to be quick back and forth, and it took a toll on them. It was an unnecessary switch from that against Norwich, and we were facing the worst Burnley team of several seasons. 

Formation was no different. Barkley instead of Mount was a straight swap. CHO and Havertz in the same positions.

The problem was the finishing..........and the fact that Burnley are a much better team. Certainly better organised at the back. 

paulw66   
17 hours ago, boratsbrother said:

So you agree? 

Score the second goal (like we should have) and we'd have been fine 

13 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

The problem was the finishing..........and the fact that Burnley are a much better team. Certainly better organised at the back. 

You could just agree to disagree...   :)
This is exactly why XG is such a good thing.  It is pretty clear cut we were all over Burnley.  
image.thumb.png.75db5377dad2c5b67c98c1fc7a427750.png

The Brentford game still bothers me a month on.
(understat)

paulw66   
14 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

You could just agree to disagree...   :)
This is exactly why XG is such a good thing.  It is pretty clear cut we were all over Burnley.  
image.thumb.png.75db5377dad2c5b67c98c1fc7a427750.png

The Brentford game still bothers me a month on.
(understat)

Interesting, cheers. I'm not a complete fan of Xgls, but it does make the point.

I mentioned in a previous thread if you take that set of 5 games, and the return of 13 points is more than good, despite how annoying the Burnley game was in isolation.