JaneB

Chelsea 4 Juventus 0

SabCFC   

Here is an interesting pre-game interview by Tuchel with a decent journalist for once. 

Tuchel addresses the tactical changes made after the first Juventus game, as well as the difference between xG Against and goals conceded for the team at the start of the season, for those who are interested in analytics : 

https://www.cbssports.com/soccer/news/chelseas-thomas-tuchel-explains-why-juventus-defeat-was-turning-point-in-blues-season/

Tuchel notes: "At the beginning of the season we were relying too much on Edouard and Kepa's qualities in goal, we conceded a few more chances but given the preseason, the fact that players came from big tournaments this can happen sometimes. We are working on it. 

"In the last games it was absolutely not like this, we had clean sheets, we deserved to have clean sheets and we kept the expected goals very, very low. This is something that we look into, you cannot rely just on results. The result is too often misleading in football, such a huge factor is also luck and bad luck in games. We are looking into this but recently we are very happy with the development."

There was an interview with the same journalist right before the CL final in May, where Tuchel has talked about how xG in relation to players and performance evaluation, it's a good read: https://www.cbssports.com/soccer/news/uefa-champions-league-final-chelseas-stats-give-thomas-tuchel-genuine-confidence-ahead-of-man-city-clash/

"We talk about expected goals clearly because it's a good way to measure your performance, to not get carried away by results, either wins or losses, because in football you depend on luck a huge amount. Sometimes it's good for the coach to not lose his head, sometimes it's good for the players to prove your point, if you have a win to prove it's not enough or the other way around, that we're on the right way."

Thought it might be interesting to some people here, this type of insightful interviews often go under the radar.

Ro61   
On 04/11/2021 at 9:07 AM, Mark Kelly said:

We were woeful against them last time out , we need a good result here.

We were "woeful" as you say.We have the players to blow them away.The team that beat leicester will do that I think - but depends on who Thomas selects.I think Thomas  knows his best team  now,so I think we will see similar to the leicester lineup.

Ro61   
2 hours ago, SabCFC said:

Here is an interesting pre-game interview by Tuchel with a decent journalist for once. 

Tuchel addresses the tactical changes made after the first Juventus game, as well as the difference between xG Against and goals conceded for the team at the start of the season, for those who are interested in analytics : 

https://www.cbssports.com/soccer/news/chelseas-thomas-tuchel-explains-why-juventus-defeat-was-turning-point-in-blues-season/

There was an interview with the same journalist right before the CL final in May, where Tuchel has talked about how xG in relation to players and performance evaluation, it's a good read: https://www.cbssports.com/soccer/news/uefa-champions-league-final-chelseas-stats-give-thomas-tuchel-genuine-confidence-ahead-of-man-city-clash/

Thought it might be interesting to some people here, this type of insightful interviews often go under the radar.

Seems to me this is a man that knows what he is talking about.I think Thomas and Chelsea are the perfect match right now.As long as we refresh and invest I can see us going from strength  to strength. 

Must win and must win by a 2 goal margin, so let’s hope we perform better than the away fixture against them.

Havertz out, Werner fit and Lukaku may make the bench. We have a decent gap between the game with Man United, so needs full strength tonight.

I think we’re likely to see:

Mendy

Christensen
Silva
Rudiger

James
Kante
Jorginho
Chilwell

Mount
Werner
CHO

Blue Rod   
54 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Must win and must win by a 2 goal margin, so let’s hope we perform better than the away fixture against them.

Havertz out, Werner fit and Lukaku may make the bench. We have a decent gap between the game with Man United, so needs full strength tonight.

I think we’re likely to see:

Mendy

Christensen
Silva
Rudiger

James
Kante
Jorginho
Chilwell

Mount
Werner
CHO

I like this lineup, especially Werner coming in for Havertz.  I seriously think he'd offer more and would make more of CHO and Mount. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SabCFC said:

Reminds me of his reaction to the Brentford game and also when he brought up the Brentford game after the Burnley game as an example of luck going one way and then the other. 

This is very promising to read, it seems he wants to absolutely iron out the luck element in deciding things and win games thoroughly. 

23 minutes ago, CarefreeMuratcan said:

Reminds me of his reaction to the Brentford game and also when he brought up the Brentford game after the Burnley game as an example of luck going one way and then the other. 

Brentford game was truly awful.  The players that replaced Jorginho and Rudiger have started one game each since - Malmo and LC.

paulw66   
11 hours ago, CarefreeMuratcan said:

They are likely to rest players for the league as well, according to James Horncastle. Since the job is done from their perspective, they aren't fussed about 1st or 2nd. 

wouldn't surprise me. they are in a poor state domestically. they could take the next two games as a chance to rest any key players 

They should still beat Malmo and perhaps they are hoping we don't win in Russia 

bert19   
38 minutes ago, CarefreeMuratcan said:

This is very promising to read, it seems he wants to absolutely iron out the luck element in deciding things and win games thoroughly. 

I'm hoping we apply that exact principle on Sunday and absolutely carve Man Utd up like a Christmas turkey.  Give that "honest" official no chances to make any key decisions at all. 

As for tonight, I'm hopeful we can get a win, but I'm a bit worried that not pushing harder for more goals home and away to Malmo might lead to us losing out on top spot on GD

18 minutes ago, bert19 said:

I'm hoping we apply that exact principle on Sunday and absolutely carve Man Utd up like a Christmas turkey.  Give that "honest" official no chances to make any key decisions at all. 

As for tonight, I'm hopeful we can get a win, but I'm a bit worried that not pushing harder for more goals home and away to Malmo might lead to us losing out on top spot on GD

The way United have been all season, it's a foregone conclusion surely? Even in the games they have won or drawn, they have looked shocking. Speaking of all this luck stuff, I can't recall them ever controlling a game this season. 

I think we will easily tonight, Juve are through so won't be in the same headspace as our players will be. 

Edited by CarefreeMuratcan