CarefreeMuratcan

Club World Cup 2021 date range confirmed ( 3 to 12 February 2022 )

The draw is today at 4pm, John Terry will be helping.

Date range is 3 to 12 February 2022, exact dates yet to be confirmed.

I think that means we will play Tuesday 8th Feb/Wednesday 9th Feb Semi Final and Saturday 12th Feb 3rd Place Play Off/Final. 

PL games affected are Brighton Away on the Wednesday and Arsenal at home on the Saturday.

Frustrating that this tournament couldn't have been squeezed into our week off at the end of January. 

Ham   

It really doesn't matter who we draw. We should be thrashing any of them. 

Sciatika   

Looking at January's fixtures, we might need some recovery time. Liverpool(H), Man City(A), Spurs(H) in the prem plus an FA Cup 3rd Round game and, possibly, two legs of the EFL Cup semi-final. There is also a possible 4th Round FA Cup game on the 5th February and the EFL Cup Final is 27 Feb. Apart from B&H and the Arse, we also have Palace and Leicester in February. It gets a bit easier after that :-)

32 minutes ago, Ham said:

It really doesn't matter who we draw. We should be thrashing any of them. 

Very much so. Feels more like a Pre-Season tournament than a proper competition. 

1 minute ago, Sciatika said:

Looking at January's fixtures, we might need some recovery time. Liverpool(H), Man City(A), Spurs(H) in the prem plus an FA Cup 3rd Round game and, possibly, two legs of the EFL Cup semi-final. There is also a possible 4th Round FA Cup game on the 5th February and the EFL Cup Final is 27 Feb. Apart from B&H and the Arse, we also have Palace and Leicester in February. It gets a bit easier after that :-)

As long as there are free midweeks to fit them in. None of that 3 games in 7 days nonsense forcing us to throw a competition because of fixture pile up. 

21 minutes ago, Sciatika said:

Does it?  Wouldn't that be when the CL knockout begins?  :)

19 minutes ago, CarefreeMuratcan said:

Very much so. Feels more like a Pre-Season tournament than a proper competition. 

I see we are guaranteed 2 games even if we lose there'll be a 3rd place game.  

The World Club championship between best of Europe and best of S America is a valid and interesting contest.
Dragging all these nonentities into the process makes a laughing stock of it all.  Pity.

Big squad - we should find a B team to put out in the Semi-final
Have I got it right - UAE is host, so we play there?  

image.thumb.png.f1a8bd0072419a194d182ee7bdaa3d89.png

Somewhere I read:
Oceania has not been able to hold national-team competitions since late 2019 due to the impact of COVID-19. Due to lingering travel and quarantine restrictions, March 2022 presents the first – and indeed last – opportunity for the preliminary competition to take place.

Makes you wonder quite why they are so keen for this game then.   

Edited by Droy was my hero

21 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

The World Club championship between best of Europe and best of S America is a valid and interesting contest.
Dragging all these nonentities into the process makes a laughing stock of it all.  Pity.

Have I got it right - UAE is host, so we play there?  

Summer 2021 was supposed to be the introduction of the new World Cup like format. 24 teams. But Covid has delayed it. The 8 European participants would be the 4 previous CL winners and 4 previous EL winners. I think something like this, if done every 4 years and given the proper World Cup treatment, would be interesting and more competitive. Though perhaps remove the Europa League part and keep it to 8 CL winners and runners up. 

Team allocations:

• AFC (Asia): 2.5 (two of which will be allocated to the finalists of the AFC Champions League and the half slot will be contested in a play-off between the two losing semi-finalists)[14]
  • CAF (Africa): 3 (will be allocated to the top three teams of the CAF Champions League)[15]
  • CONCACAF (North, Central America and the Caribbean): 3
  • CONMEBOL (South America): 6
  • OFC (Oceania): 0.5
  • UEFA (Europe): 8
  • Host nation: 1 (will be allocated to the winner of the Chinese Super League, with FIFA to decide the course of action should they qualify through the AFC Champions League)[14]

39 minutes ago, CarefreeMuratcan said:

Team allocations:

Smacks of bribery and abuse of the voting system where small countries and irrelevant regions get their votes farmed by the likes of Jack Warner.

No one really wants to watch any of these teams except best of S America vs best of Europe.
In a month when we saw England B teams put 15 past Albania and San Marino and a year when we played both of them and Albania 2 times each - who really wants this?
There have been 27 England games since September 2020.
Mount has 26 England caps.  1 behind Franny Lee and Colin Todd, 2 behind Hunter Stiles and McFarland.
Declan Rice has 1 more, but Rice isn't playing CL football as well.

Weird one, in that being able to say "yep, we're the world champions" would feel great ... But it's also a nonsense competition that wastes time and energy needed for competitions that actually matter. Given the choice, I'd pull out an not bother at all but seeing as it isn't, can we win it without really trying that hard, please?

ACN means Mendy unlikely but have more faith than I had in Kepa these days.