Boogle

Chelsea Reserve & Youth Team

30 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

It isn't that people don't read any of your posts, but only the first three or four in detail. Still nice to know where the logic comes from, if you had started with this part the conversation would have been a lot lot shorter for everyone.

Let's then just agree that you can stop reading and responding to my posts completely. I know I won't engage with you going forward, life's too short.

paulw66   
3 minutes ago, The_Ghost said:

1. Come on. Of course the club know the quality of it's own players and let's be real here - every academy player at Chelsea has been extensively scouted by every other PL club. He went to a Wigan, who weren't even a midtable side but a bottom 7 side in the Championship. Not even a top side. He was absolutely not ready to start in the PL at 18. 

2. You're being overly pedantic, I didn't say this was the pathway, just a pathway. The point I'm trying to make to you binaries is that there is a middle ground where you get your absolutely best academy prospects to stay on and slowly be integrated into the team. You didn't see Foden run off to Southampton despite hardly playing for two full seasons. It's all about selling them a vision and to back that up. We quite clearly failed to do so, otherwise Livramento would still be here. I'm baffled anyone would disagree with that. It's plain lazy to hide behind "oh but he want's to start in the PL now". We dropped the ball - there is no other way to put it.

1. I meant the other PL teams judging him, not Chelsea...........You're not honestly suggesting in 2018-19 RJ wasn't good enough to play for (PL bottom 7) Bournemouth, Burnley, Southampton, Brighton, Cardiff, Fulham Huddersfield, yet just 12 months later, was good enough to play 37 games for Chelsea, finishing 4th and playing in the CL? 

2. He didn't want whatever pathway there was......... shake hands and move on. 

Phil Foden, ok. Jadon Sancho? Jack Harrison? It happens. 

1 minute ago, paulw66 said:

1. I meant the other PL teams judging him, not Chelsea...........You're not honestly suggesting in 2018-19 RJ wasn't good enough to play for (PL bottom 7) Bournemouth, Burnley, Southampton, Brighton, Cardiff, Fulham Huddersfield, yet just 12 months later, was good enough to play 37 games for Chelsea, finishing 4th and playing in the CL? 

2. He didn't want whatever pathway there was......... shake hands and move on. 

Phil Foden, ok. Jadon Sancho? Jack Harrison? It happens. 

1. At the time it’s obvious the clubs you mention didn’t think so. That he developed and exploded is undebatable. I’m also claiming Livramento will see a similar development. Wouldn’t be the least bit surprised to see him being the starting RB for England before he’s 21. 

2. Yes, that much is obvious. It’s the reason why that’s interesting. I’m claiming that an interesting pathway would have been enough to keep him and that the club was in a position to do so. 

A man up after 35 mins we still lose 6-0 to Arsenal at U23 PL2 level.  Ugly.
And my feeling is that there team was no more experienced than ours.

Report:  https://www.chelseafc.com/en/news/2021/09/19/pl2-report--chelsea-v-arsenal?cardIndex=0-1

Hihglights:  https://www.chelseafc.com/en/videos/v/2021/09/19/chelsea-1-6-arsenal--h----pl2-highlights-DoP6Rwrn

Juni   

It was, somewhat. Their goalkeeper has ten senior caps for Estonia, the lad who was sent off has a senior cap for Tunisia (squared against McClelland having one for Northern Ireland mind), Balogun has played 12 first-team games, Akinola is 20, Lopez in his age-20 season, as is Alebiosu. Chelsea's oldest player was Mbuyamba (20 in December) and started five players still eligible for U18 football including 16yo Brodi Hughes.

All of that said, it was a very poor performance in several regards.

14 minutes ago, Juni said:

It was, somewhat. ...

All of that said, it was a very poor performance in several regards.

Thanks for the reply.

I'm wondering if other clubs are catching up on some of the methods Chelsea introduced 10 or so years ago.  Which could be great for the England NT, but mean our youth superiority is over.  Just a guess.

Juni   

The gap has been closing massively, a lot of PL money and the requirements of a Category One EPPP academy means everyone has to invest and improve, so it's harder to be as good as Chelsea have been, though not impossible, and worth noting that things aren't terrible at all, just those 5 years or so where they won everything stands out as being even more special (and it's only after the fact that you realise how special it was).

Tbh the biggest takeaway I got from the Arsenal game was just how much a good coach has improved them. They were heading nowhere under Steve Bould, then hired Kevin Betsy in the summer, and it's like night and day watching them. They've always had quality players but now a damn fine coach working with them too.

chara   

Thankyou Juni ,as ever, for the insight....in your opinion what was the reason for such a poor showing taking into account the points you made?