• Current Donation Goals

CFCnet Admin

Musical Tastes

I was in St.Ives, Cornwall over the weekend. What a lovely part of the world that is. I found this little shop with a lady painting beautiful pictures inside and selling them. Hard to judge her age but you could tell that once upon a time she must have been an absolute stunner. It turned out she grew up very near me in Surrey so we just started chatting and the subject moved onto music. I told her I played a little bad guitar and she said  "oh my old boyfriend from years ago was a very good guitarist" . "What's his name " I asked "I might know him" ...... "Eric Clapton" she replied.  

• Like 1

Vinod   

Recently traveled to Britain. I went for a David Gilmour concert. Even at 70 he gives his everything. Legend!

His new album is pretty neat. Go to 4:40 for the solo

Ruudboy   

And now Leonard Cohen, an icon of my youth whose songs I occasionally sang in smoky folk clubs during the early seventies. He wrote "that's no way to say goodbye". He has now ...

Sciatika   

Suzanne, A Thousand Kisses Deep, Dance Me to the End of Love. Great poet, great songwriter. His appeal spanned generations. He will be missed.

My favourite lyric of this great artist is Everybody Knows. Whenever I read it there is always something in there that is relevant to the world today or to  current circumstances and right now this lyric punches you in the face like a sledgehammer. He could be very dark and cynical but at the same time be very funny, but few nailed a lyric like Leonard Cohen. Another great talent gone.

Everybody knows that the dice are loaded
Everybody rolls with their fingers crossed
Everybody knows that the war is over
Everybody knows the good guys lost
Everybody knows the fight was fixed
The poor stay poor, the rich get rich
That's how it goes
Everybody knows

Everybody knows that the boat is leaking
Everybody knows that the captain lied
Everybody got this broken feeling
Like their father or their dog just died

Everybody talking to their pockets
Everybody wants a box of chocolates
And a long stem rose

Everybody knows

Everybody knows that you love me baby
Everybody knows that you really do
Everybody knows that you've been faithful
Ah give or take a night or two

Everybody knows you've been discreet
But there were so many people you just had to meet
Without your clothes

And everybody knows

Everybody knows, everybody knows
That's how it goes
Everybody knows

And everybody knows that it's now or never
Everybody knows that it's me or you
And everybody knows that you live forever
Ah when you've done a line or two

Everybody knows the deal is rotten
Old Black Joe's still pickin' cotton
For your ribbons and bows

And everybody knows

And everybody knows that the Plague is coming
Everybody knows that it's moving fast
Everybody knows that the naked man and woman
Are just a shining artifact of the past

Everybody knows the scene is dead
But there's gonna be a meter on your bed
That will disclose
What everybody knows

And everybody knows that you're in trouble
Everybody knows what you've been through
From the bloody cross on top of Calvary
To the beach of Malibu
Everybody knows it's coming apart
Take one last look at this Sacred Heart
Before it blows
And everybody knows

Oh everybody knows, everybody knows
That's how it goes
Everybody knows

Everybody knows

1 Embed

Zoowraa   

Anyone heard the new Metallica album yet? I have heard bits but trying to wait to hear it completly tomorrow.

Was not keen on Dream No More, but like the three released tracks so far with Moth and Atlas sounding huge.

5 hours ago, Zoowraa said:

Anyone heard the new Metallica album yet? I have heard bits but trying to wait to hear it completly tomorrow.

Was not keen on Dream No More, but like the three released tracks so far with Moth and Atlas sounding huge.

Most of the tracks are on YouTube now , I have to say from what I have heard it's a return to form. I've enjoyed all of it and I've avoided them like the plague since the Black album.

Zoowraa   
23 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

Most of the tracks are on YouTube now , I have to say from what I have heard it's a return to form. I've enjoyed all of it and I've avoided them like the plague since the Black album.

It is a return to form. Think a few of the tracks will grow over time too, only listened once so far, elements from all Metallica era's on the album too.

The closer Spit Out The Bone is just brutal.

On 17/11/2016 at 2:47 PM, Zoowraa said:

Think it's going to be a grower. Can't wait to see them again. Saw them at Hammersmith for their 'Justice' and 'Black' album tours. On the plus side, I managed to get a ticket to see Iron Maiden in Nottingham. Haven't seen them since the Powerslave tour in Ipswich.

48 minutes ago, Paul Mcgoochan said:

Think it's going to be a grower. Can't wait to see them again. Saw them at Hammersmith for their 'Justice' and 'Black' album tours. On the plus side, I managed to get a ticket to see Iron Maiden in Nottingham. Haven't seen them since the Powerslave tour in Ipswich.

Don't think I've seen Maiden since they headlined Reading years ago , despite some decent albums since then they always look like they're dialling it in when I've seen the live videos.

I watched a live concert of theirs from this tour in Bolivia or somewhere and Janick Gets was showboating around so much that it annoyed me somewhat.

I'm sure , like the football it's a different prospect up close and personal ( or as up close and personal as it gets with them these days).

Enjoy.

I'm spoiled , I saw them countless times with Dianno , plus a charity bash at the Ruskin arms with Bruce.