• Current Donation Goals

CFCnet Admin

Musical Tastes

Ham   
Just now, Mark Kelly said:

Yeah , you're going to tell me you loved them now aren't you ?

No I'm with you 😅  I thought it was self indulgent garbage.  

2 minutes ago, Ham said:

No I'm with you 😅  I thought it was self indulgent garbage.  

It really was , to think I fought in the punk wars to stop this sort of nonsense.

Ham   
2 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

It really was , to think I fought in the punk wars to stop this sort of nonsense.

Were you at the front line at Camden Market? 

28 minutes ago, Ham said:

Were you at the front line at Camden Market? 

Indeed. lol.

1 hour ago, Mark Kelly said:

Absolutely convinced Janet Jackson was miming , I also think Billy Eilish was as I don't see how you can be jumping up and down and at the same time be whispering into a mic , It looks to me that the microphones must have a button that you can press that un-mutes it so you can go "hello Glastonbury" from time to time.

Regards miming... some acts do mime a little bit. I didn't see either Janet Jackson or Billy Eilish so can't really comment on them specifically, but as well as live musicians, sometimes backing tracks and/or pre-recorded vocals are also included. I'm trying to remember who it was but one act would have needed a whole symphony orchestra for just part of one song. I suppose they could have arranged the song to forgo it for a live performance, but a decision was obviously made to have that original arrangement on tape in the background. I think the idea of miming is more prevalent with 'newer' acts who go from posting themselves playing in their room at home on YouTube to getting a recording contract without ever doing any proper live performances. Mind you, anyone who has seen Pink Floyd live knows that when they play 'Time', there aren't 50+ alarm clocks ticking and ringing on stage... that bit is a recording!! 😉

18 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

Regards miming... some acts do mime a little bit. I didn't see either Janet Jackson or Billy Eilish so can't really comment on them specifically, but as well as live musicians, sometimes backing tracks and/or pre-recorded vocals are also included. I'm trying to remember who it was but one act would have needed a whole symphony orchestra for just part of one song. I suppose they could have arranged the song to forgo it for a live performance, but a decision was obviously made to have that original arrangement on tape in the background. I think the idea of miming is more prevalent with 'newer' acts who go from posting themselves playing in their room at home on YouTube to getting a recording contract without ever doing any proper live performances. Mind you, anyone who has seen Pink Floyd live knows that when they play 'Time', there aren't 50+ alarm clocks ticking and ringing on stage... that bit is a recording!! 😉

Yes, absolutely , but having played in loads of bands over the years , and seen hundreds , hardly any of whom were ever deemed cool enough for Glastonbury , it does irk me somewhat that its yet another thing that has been taken out of the hands of musicians and put into the hands of cherry picked "performers" many of whom couldn't carry a tune in a bucket without autotune.

3 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Yes, absolutely , but having played in loads of bands over the years , and seen hundreds , hardly any of whom were ever deemed cool enough for Glastonbury , it does irk me somewhat that its yet another thing that has been taken out of the hands of musicians and put into the hands of cherry picked "performers" many of whom couldn't carry a tune in a bucket without autotune.

I agree. It'll be interesting to see how many more years Glasto can survive as a 100,000+ festival. To be honest, if The Cure with a 60 year old Robert Smith are the best that can be found to close the event, it doesn't bode well for the future.

1 hour ago, Bob Singleton said:

I agree. It'll be interesting to see how many more years Glasto can survive as a 100,000+ festival. To be honest, if The Cure with a 60 year old Robert Smith are the best that can be found to close the event, it doesn't bode well for the future.

Yep, it's a dying industry I fear, I am the resident old codger at work with another old guy who is a drummer , he's been in bands like I have , toured the continent and the UK etc and a couple of years ago we caught the two young whipper snappers in the stores bent over the radio in awe and anticipation because they were playing the brand new Adele song .

Hilariously we both then collared the other at the same time and exclaimed why are they excited about " Nan music " ? It was funny and sad at the same time but we were and remain horrified .

There is a dearth of decent rock bands about and all the good ones are literally dying , you cannot halt the march of time but the radio in the UK has a lot to answer for it .

Ham   
1 hour ago, Mark Kelly said:

Yep, it's a dying industry I fear, I am the resident old codger at work with another old guy who is a drummer , he's been in bands like I have , toured the continent and the UK etc and a couple of years ago we caught the two young whipper snappers in the stores bent over the radio in awe and anticipation because they were playing the brand new Adele song .

Hilariously we both then collared the other at the same time and exclaimed why are they excited about " Nan music " ? It was funny and sad at the same time but we were and remain horrified .

There is a dearth of decent rock bands about and all the good ones are literally dying , you cannot halt the march of time but the radio in the UK has a lot to answer for it .

Not sure of your specific definition of rock but in terms of what's out there now, Royal Blood have carved a nice little niche for themselves.  As a frustrated drummer myself, they're my go-to drum along.  

I agree though. Not a great deal of rock superstars under the age of 50.

2 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

My computer keeps playing "Chasing Pavements" over and over and over. I think it's a Dell

[Sorry!!!]

There are some good rock bands around... problem is they've been around a while without ever getting beyond the medium sized venue (thinking Brixton Academy size) because they get little to no airplay on stations like Radio 1.  Bands like The Temperance Movement and Rival Sons (OK, I know, they're American... spend loads of time in the UK though)... all done smaller festivals toward the top of the schedule (without headlining), all done bigger festivals on minor stages in mid/late afternoon slots but where are the 'stadium' bands of the future? Nowhere to be seen. 

Where rock is still hale and hearty is at the heavier end where festivals like Bloodstock still attract big names and there seems to be  an endless stream of new bands coming through.

Edited by Bob Singleton