• Current Donation Goals

CFCnet Admin

Musical Tastes

The car and in house music centre have been working overtime as the sound of the late 50,s and 60,s waft out into the back garden as I float around my pool with beer in hand thinking I,am a cool Jazz cat .

It's a hard life eh mate?

Flo17   

Some good songs I've been listening to:

Proof - I Am Kloot

Aeroplanes Over The Sea - Neutral Milk Hotel

I May Never Be Single - Talk Taxis

Be Less Rude - Frightened Rabbit

Lonely Buoy - Joe Lean & The Jing Jang Jong

Born A Boy - Operahouse

Litchy   

I Am Kloot, Neutral Milk Hotel, Frightened Rabbit, Joe Lean & The Jing Jang Jong, Does it Offend You Yeah?, I Was A Cub Scout, The Ting Tings, Hadouken!, British Sea Power, Vampire Weekend.

Good music, but honestly, some of these band names are becoming ridiculous.

Mehrino   

Agreed. I initially thought that British Sea Power were some mid-70's prog rock band :-/

Ox. Eagle. Lion. Man. is another ridiculous name for a band!

Edited by Mehrino

The tonal quality of his playing is so impressive, so smooth, but I must say I do feel like I'm missing an awful lot when I listen to this style of music. I get why it's good, why it's clever but anyone who has properly studied a bit of music would. I feel almost jealous of people that can enjoy it for the sake of it, what is it that you're hearing that I'm not?

I mean I'd choose to listen to a million things over this, less challenging, in many cases certainly simpler and more disposable, but for the life of me I can't see how the simple almost primal pleasure I get from that music could translate to experiencing such a challenging sound.

Impossible question #what now? How long have you got? Someone once told me that the more you know, the more pop\rock music sounds like nursery rhymes. I think of it more as muzak and find so much of it painful it's nearly become a health concern (like the Eastenders\Emmerdale\Corrie theme tunes, but for different reasons). It's not a question of age - only liking stuff that was around in people's youth - because there's rarely been a shortage of either drivel or good stuff and it's quite easy to hear the difference. Trouble is, once you get the difference it's hard to go back (except for production values which are superb on most things nowadays).

That said, there seems to have been a time when musical appreciation became limited to either moshing or plain ol' bump & grind. Last year there was a decent C4 series on music by Howard Goodall which made a pleasant change, but I grew up watching a range of masterclass programmes that they weren't too embarassed to show on BBC2 like this one by

but many others such as Paul Tortelier (Cello), Billy Cobham (drums) and Daniel Barenboim (Conductor). Now, when there's endless music channels there's virtually nothing except in the bowels of the more obscure Sky channels, so I don't know how anyone gets to know anything now.

So we get nice stuff by

using a similar source to something from
. Except the first uses a a different time sig and the second uses just an 8-bar loop compared to the
. If only that was the only difference. If it takes 25 years to make something of the first couple of bars we'll all be long gone by the time the rest is got to grips with. It's insulting tbh.

With the sad passing of Oscar Peterson before Xmas the only benefit has been a flurry of past shows. Unfortunately the interview with Andre Previn has aged off iPlayer, but there's still three shows with him, Neils Pedersen and some with Joe Pass, Barney Kessel and Bill Basie. The original Peterson series (after Parky and MotD on a Saturday night) taught and demonstrated a lot of technique and styles. Get over to iPlayer and catch them while you can.

The discussion between Peterson and Previn was interesting for the way classical musicians rehearse endlessly to include every nuance possible, while Peterson himself felt bringing riffs from rehearsal to live performance made it unauthentic. Compare how things are done now to the interesting detail that composers like Mozart left passages unwritten so the soloist could showcase his skills in live performance. That reminded me of recordings of Stephane Grapelli and Yehudi Menuhin. Before they met Grapelli was terrified at the prospect of playing with such a maestro, while after they recorded Grapelli realised he was almost incompetent if he didn't have a script in front of him.

Studying modern music in the manner of classical music is rare. Transcription is part of the problem, but when it's done it can be valuable, such as these two interpretations of Coltrane's Giant Steps - graphic or technical.

Or perhaps it can't and it's just how much pleasure each person derives from being challenged in the first place. Or perhaps many people aren't challenged in the slightest by this music and I should just go back to my hamster wheel, complete with Pixies background music, and stop worrying my silly little head over it.

I wouldn't beat yourself up about it. In the words of Oprah (!!) If you knew better, you'd do better. It's difficult to even stand a chance, it seems to me.

Obviously this isn't the most accessible type of music around, that's why you'll never find it in the top 10.

It used to be.

I can't listen to this kind of stuff with my family, they don't like it, so it's I-pod fodder for me, or for when I'm marking homework.

I spent nearly a grand on the best hi-fi I could afford and I'm in the same boat. Even if I got home early and put something on I used to get "turn that sh!t off!" the moment anyone else got home. That's how I ended up with AKG wireless headphones and got relegated to the computer room. Either that or in the car. Always the outcast...

Sounded to me like 5 different soloists all being forced to reluctantly play as support for 5 different soloists (unheard) each playing one of 5 different songs. Challenging - names those tunes - sure, but not entertainment.

Not that I'd agree in the slightest, but what's your point? They are all soloists, but what you're complaining about is what gives it depth.

Brecker blow his own trumpet?? The man was a sax maniac.

But his brother was Randy.

Fentini   
It's a hard life eh mate?

Jon bought some speaker cabel at the weekend . So now I have one speaker at the far end of the pool and the other house side . I was floating for 5 hours just suckin it all in with me lovely wife handing me the beers . So as not to get out of the pool to spoil the vibe.

Died and gone to heaven.

Jon bought some speaker cabel at the weekend . So now I have one speaker at the far end of the pool and the other house side . I was floating for 5 hours just suckin it all in with me lovely wife handing me the beers . So as not to get out of the pool to spoil the vibe.

Died and gone to heaven.

Take away the speakers, pool, lovely wife and beers and add a lot of rain. That was my weekend.

'Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin' and 'Meanwhile, Back in Communist Russia' are strange ones!

Ox. Eagle. Lion. Man. is another ridiculous name for a band!

They are made up from former members of Les Incompétents aren't they?

hanuma   
'Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin' and 'Meanwhile, Back in Communist Russia' are strange ones!

They are made up from former members of Les Incompétents aren't they?

'Melt Banana' was an interesting one from Japan. 'Supershit 666' was always fun. 'Gorky's Zygotic Mynci' also has a nice ring to it.

Benners   
But his brother was Randy.

Interesting post Harry. When I heard the torrent I suspected there may have been a collaboration at some time with this man. They really are promiscuous these musicians aren't they?.

http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=zT_QnNm_iY0

I don't just listen to jazz though. Though I do have some standards.