• Current Donation Goals

CFCnet Admin

Musical Tastes

I can't possibly agree with that. There's a wealth of things that have both content and merit, irrespective of whether one happens to like something or not.

You're objectifying music though Harry. You, by claiming your friends have a certain ability in instruments, are merely promulgating their opinion as a cast iron representation as to their musical ability. Akin to modern art, I presume you see no skill in an unmade bed or a tin of Tesco Value Soup? No doubt you may understand the message behind them, but they are not some other worldly skill that you nor I could accomplish.

You make a case for liking something or not liking something, which isn't arguable, but as to its quality I'd say they were in an ideal position to say so. From my pov I can't believe half the stuff they put up with, so they're hardly over-demanding, which is why I sought their opinion.

Why are they in an ideal position? Ian Wright as an ex-England international and ex-Arsenal striker should be in the ideal position to comment on football -- but his opinion is still an opinion. As to the quality, what on earth is quality? Technical ability? Composition? Or the aural effect? Quality isn't something quantifiable; and certainly not by a professional opinion.

hanuma   
At the end of the day you do not like them as you believe they are samey and unoriginal, however as stated previously if singing in your own constructed language, playing electric guitar with a bow and using a full brass band is the norm then I must be missing a trick somewhere.

If awards are handed out for approaching music in 'wacky' ways I'll bring out my metal comb and find the exam desk I did my GCSE's at - got quite good at 'My Velouria' and 'Come As You Are' over the course of that fortnight. I'm sure their award for a new approach to their particular style is fully deserved, but it doesn't make them any less repetitive. That's really not dependent on objectivity either seeing as all music can be notated and studied and the limit of their ideas made clear for all to see. When talking about music in general terms you can't just use why one person likes it as an argument, because no one is disputing the idea that it's possible to like it, but that it's original or interesting in any quantifiable way.

I appreceate virtually nobody here would want to see Glen Campbell but for the sake of this story just imagine you're going to see somebody else. I had an email yesterday from seetickets telling me that due to circumstances beyond their control, tickets for next Monday's concert can't be posted and to collect them from the Box office from 7:30pm. I rang up today to ask if they could be collected from the B.O over the next few days as it'll end up being a 90 minutes scrum - but no can do. I then said as they aren't actually posting the tickets I'd like a refund of the fiver they charge for delivery. After a 5 minute chat with their superviser they agreed to do it. As Derek and Clive said is this any way to run a ballroom?

Guest Louder Than Ritalin   
Guest Louder Than Ritalin

Mostly been listening to Belle & Sebastian, The Shins, Ra Ra Riot and Tegan & Sara today. Rather strange for a Friday I must admit.

wise76   

Asian dub Foundation, Jericho

Benners   

I saw SMV (Stanley, Marcus & Victor) last night, three very happy slappers (definitely for you Grahame).

Stanley Clarke seems to have some kind of pick-up truck man thing going & proved my suspicions by nearly physically pulling a double bass in half, the student crowd loved it.

Marcus Miller seems to be getting more & more humble with age (he's big on his religion thing) though it didn't seem to slow him down in the thick of the action when the boys weres howing each other just what they could do - a bit of a biggest willy competition, but who cares when the music is that exciting.

Victor Wooten, what a musician. That man can play the whole orchestra on his bass, he (like Miller & Clarke) just walked into each piece & stayed until he was pushed out! & no, I'm not talking about ego driven solos here.

The guys were playing fabulous music& having a real craic at the same time - isn't that what it's all about?.

There's just a few more dates left in Europe - Paris 27 oct - go there if you can. It's the best gig I've been to in years.

todongo   

Morbid Angel, new FIFA 09 sndtrk, Obituary, Type O Negative, Brutal Truth, Bolt Thrower, My Dying Bride, Arcturus, Hades, Daft Punk, Rihanna, Ne-Yo, Interpol...

I don't think I've mentioned Outkast, who I think released simply outstanding songs this decade. I listen to Ms. Jackson and Hey Ya today and they are as stunning as it was the first time I heard them. I've been listening more of B.O.B., which I didn't hear much of years back, and it simply gets better every time I hear it.

I'm browsing in youtube through songs I've loved from the 2000's decade, and I'm struck by the number of songs that don't have a firm long-term value, where I can listen to the same song years later and feel as good about it since then. I don't know if it's a personal thing, but I feel like the 90's had more songs that I think stands the test of time, from all genres including songs I'm not a fan of.

Maybe such a judgement needs to be made looking back, not while the decade is still going on. So in the 2010 decade, I'll actually see more clearly.

I have been listening to the Holy Bible today quality old Manic Street Preachers, first time in over a year I have had it on.