• Current Donation Goals

Flo17

Movies

FURY

A dark, claustrophobic and foreboding depiction of how the "greatest generation"

not only fought against the evil of Nazism, but also the monster within themselves.

pretty good!

Not sure I could stomach another American film explaining how they were crucial to WWII rather than here just in time to film the ending but then threw just so many soldiers unnecessarily at Omaha (their part of the Normandy landings*) to prove a point.

Besides there are fascists and nazis killing people today in Europe in their thousands, and the US is backing them.

*While Tom Hanks was performing his heroics at the start of Saving Private Ryan on Omaha beach the Brits and other nations had reached the tops of their cliffs comfortably and would have been attacking the German gunners from behind a few hours later. Rather than accept the help of others the American commanders decided to throw men straight into machine gunfire and several thousand died so that America could claim to have taken part.

Sciatika   

Sounds like another in a long line of historically-dodgy Hollywood films. For instance, Pearl Harbour, Braveheart and the utterly criminal "U571" where an Enigma machine is captured by an American sub! Aaaarrggghh!

Edited by Sciatika

Sciatika   

Forgot, I should also point out that the Japanese troops trained in The Last Samurai were actually trained by the French, not the Americans.

Forgot, I should also point out that the Japanese troops trained in The Last Samurai were actually trained by the French, not the Americans.

Which sounds an awful lot like the plot for Shogun. Where the Japanese spoke Japanese, but the Dutch hero and the Portuguese villains all spoke.. American (in 1600)

Sciatika   

Gladiator is dodgy too. No way was Marcus Aurelius was pro the republic. And Commodus gets a pretty raw deal from the film. He wasn't a patricide and certainly never went anywhere near competing in the games.

And then there's that Disney Pocohontas where Smith is saved by the native American girl and they begin this on-screen love affair despite the girl only actually being 10 or 11 at the time!

NEIGHBORS, a comedy about a young couple suffering from arrested development who are forced to live next to a fraternity

house after the birth of their newborn baby…Seth Rogen, Zac Efron and Rose Byrne lead the cast of Neighbors…

I really laughed with this comedy! :)

Hancock was pretty good even if you don't like the superhero/comic book spin off movies.

As far as a good laugh you could do a lot worse than O Brother Where art thou.

ben_   

Interstellar

Not a usual Christopher Nolan film. It is epic, has a sharp-eyed view of the future, and characters with real human emotions. I really like this ambitious, thought-provoking, uplifting film.

Beyond the Lights

Romantic drama depicts the downside of celebrity…

6,5/10…not good…