• Current Donation Goals

CFCnet Admin

Media / Press

27 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

For what it's worth, this bit of the story isn't at all implausible. 

Much of the absurdity is easily (plausibly) explained by specifics lost in translation.

I'd have thought instantly going under sounds odd - either it would have had to be life threateningly strong or they would have had to find a vein which is not easy.

More oddly is how the "Albanian" story has emerged.  No witness came forward in court as far as I can see.  Only a statement by the defence barrister.  Which is a neat way of getting a story into the media but seems to carry no risk of dishonesty under oath.   I doubt the judge paid any attention to it.
Quick question - how did the MacGuire crew know that the 2 with the needle were Albanian?  Albania is next to Greece so I imagine they look alike. The seasonal staff come from all over Greece.  Were any of the MacGuire crew are fluent in either Greek or Albanian? 
I'd suggest that the "Albanian" part and probably the whole story was an invention by the defence barrister.

37 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

I wouldn't be at all surprised if it was a fit up job from beginning to end. 

Or maybe just doing a runner from the bar bill.

Ham   
1 hour ago, thevelourfog said:

For what it's worth, this bit of the story isn't at all implausible. 

Much of the absurdity is easily (plausibly) explained by specifics lost in translation.

Tough one for me personally, wouldn't choose to believe either a United player or a copper! Can imagine Maguire and his party have been thugs and that the police have been opportunistic. 

What I considered implausible was that an Albanian gang hatched a plan to drug Maguire's sister (by injection!) and somehow smuggle her out of the bar without them noticing. 

Also that the Maguire gang would quickly work out that this is what had happened (after initially reporting that she had been stabbed) whilst totally inebriated after a 3 day bender.

Far more believable is that a bunch of Brits got drunk and attacked the wrong people.  

Ham   

Screenshot_20200826-002650_Daily Mail Online.jpg

Screenshot_20200826-002803_Daily Mail Online.jpg

Screenshot_20200826-003224_Daily Mail Online.jpg

Tune in tomorrow when the Albanian looking gangsters brandished Uzi sub-machine guns and morphed into part shark/part scorpion.  

Edited by Ham

14 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

I'm enjoying the site of a judge taking the word of some cops over that of some rich white footballer.

What are you suggesting

Ruudboy   

Henry Winter in the Times:

"The trial may have been rushed and the appeal may throw more light on a dark night in Mykonos, but the unforgiving reality remains that Harry Maguire, the captain of Manchester United and darling of England, has been found guilty in a Greek court of repeated bodily harm, attempted bribery, violence against public employees and insult after arrest.

Maguire is a truly likeable individual, brimming with good intent, but his name is now associated with shame. These are damning words, a brutal verdict on the character of one of English football's most respected players. After an altercation with Greek police last Thursday, Maguire, 27, was given a prison sentence of 21 months and ten days, suspended because they were first offences and deemed misdemeanours. It is chastening, humiliating and a warning to others."

Yeh, right, Henry.

Ham   
Just now, blue moon said:

"The trial may have been rushed and the appeal may throw more light on a dark night in Mykonos, but the unforgiving reality remains that Harry Maguire, the captain of Manchester United and darling of England, has been found guilty in a Greek court of repeated bodily harm, attempted bribery, violence against public employees and insult after arrest.

Maguire is a truly likeable individual, brimming with good intent, but his name is now associated with shame. These are damning words, a brutal verdict on the character of one of English football's most respected players. After an altercation with Greek police last Thursday, Maguire, 27, was given a prison sentence of 21 months and ten days, suspended because they were first offences and deemed misdemeanours. It is chastening, humiliating and a warning to others."

Yeh, right, Henry.

Tell that to Bats and his Jacobs. 

It's like Winter is going round with a "Journo for hire" sign around his neck. 

36 minutes ago, blue moon said:

Yeh, right, Henry.

Nice guy that Winter -  only the other day he was paid to produce a great puff piece for SFL on the official site.  Now he is getting paid elsewhere.

Standard set up of Praise, praise, but...

"It is chastening, humiliating and a warning to others."
Read: he is chastened, humble, a better man for it, others would be worse.

2 hours ago, blue moon said:

Yeh, right, Henry.

Swap McGuire for Terry and we all know the media would prtray this quite differently. 

It's the apparent double standards that annoys me the most with this story.