• Current Donation Goals

CFCnet Admin

Media / Press

15 hours ago, blueandproud said:

They couldn't sack Stelling.  Stelling as some member rightly say is the true star of Soccer Saturday.  Thompson was ridiculous at times, but no worse than boring old Jamie Redknapp or that egomaniac Roy Keane.  Le  Tissier was decent, dull at times, but talked sense most of the time.  Like everyone else though, I shed no tears at the departure of Charlie Nicholas, good riddance to bad rubbish.  Sickeningly biased, deluded and bitter, when talking about his beloved Arsenel he would see no evil and hear no evil, and why do they need 2 ex-Arsenal players on the panel anyway?  Merson is the best of the 4, happy he survived.  Micah Richards is good, he is refreshingly cheerful, unlik miserable b******s like Danny Murphy or Jermain Jenas on other channels, or an utter pillock like Chris Sutton or Robbie Savage on BT Sport.  Alex Scott is the queen of the female football presenters, better bland old Gabby Logan, and Sue Smith is rather irritating,  Clinton Morrison, Glen Johnson are also contenders for the gig, not sure about them, I'll pass judgement on them afterwards should they get the gig.

I would not be surprised if a  couple of the new panel come from sky's radio channel Talksh*t

35 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Quite the opposite for me :-)

I actually don't watch it any more as I only used to bother if Chelsea were on at 3pm, but now I can find a way to watch Chelsea live, that is where my attention goes

I can well see the aesthetic reasons to tune in :) Don't really disagree there, but she just grates away at me.

Ham   
26 minutes ago, LeBoeufsGolfBall said:

I can well see the aesthetic reasons to tune in :) Don't really disagree there, but she just grates away at me.

I get unnecessarily wound up by her inability to pronounce the "g" at the end of words. 

Runnin' jumpin' winnin' losin' 

Really grates on me. 

3 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

There was a mention of two years !

(till MacGuire appeal).  So just sucking it up would have been by far the smarter thing.  Especially since now Greece might be thinking about getting more Brits oh holiday but in two years time will be sick that the only ones travelling are young trouble-makers.

I can see why there is so much emphasis on the "not guilty line".  Normally for England whatever the guilt, it is suspended till court case, then a nominal month or so longer.

The short version is the guy who prosecuted our Harry says he is talking rubbish and that the BBC should have interviewed him properly.  
He is right.

(Telegraph)Harry Maguire's account in BBC interview labelled 'ridiculous' and 'insulting' as Manchester United star refuses to apologise

Lawyer who secured guilty verdict says: "It adds further insult to harm he caused policemen he attacked and Greek justice system as a whole"

ByBen Rumsby28 August 2020 • 11:28am

Harry Maguire gave his line of events to the BBC in an interview CREDIT: BBC

The lawyer who secured a guilty verdict against Harry Maguire has denounced his “ridiculous” account of how he came to be charged with aggravated assault, resisting arrest and attempted bribery.

Ioannis Paradissis hit out at Maguire following the Manchester United captain’s first interview since he was handed a 21-month suspended prison sentence by a Greek court.

Maguire told BBC News on Thursday that he thought he and others were being kidnapped by fake police in Mykonos and that he had tried to run away in fear for his life after being hit on the legs and told: “You won’t play again.”

Paradissis told MailOnline: “I’ve seen and read what Maguire said and it’s ridiculous and only adds further insult to the harm he caused the policemen he attacked and the Greek justice system as a whole.

“Maguire claims that he feared he was being kidnapped, yet his response is to run away and call his agent, leaving behind his fiancé, brothers and sister and childhood friends. Even if you accepted this as true, which I don’t, these are not the actions of an honourable man.”

Maguire said he had been taken by minibus to what it later transpired was a police station.

Paradissis added: “Maguire claims that when the minibus stopped, he did not know that it was outside a police station. I would urge all people to have a look at Mykonos police station. It is clearly obvious what this place is either during the day or night.

“There are many police cars parked outside it at night, there is a sign stating that it is a police station and there are officers coming in and outside of the building. The only way you would not be able tell if it was not a police station is if you are very drunk.

“But clearly, he was not that drunk, because according to him he was able to fight off a group of men who he thought were kidnappers and try and escape. If he had the clarity of mind to do that then obviously, he would have also been able to see that the minibus had pulled up outside a police station.”

Paradissis criticised the BBC for not probing Maguire more deeply over claims the whole affair had begun when his sister, Daisy, had been injected with a date-rape drug by two Albanian men, questioning how the group would know their nationality.

He added: “And where is our apology for his behaviour? Three policemen were injured and had to be treated at hospital. A rich man came to Mykonos and thought that he could behave how he wants. He then goes on an international television channel to justify his actions and there is not a single sorry to us in anything he says.”

Paradissis, who says he has received threats and insults from Maguire’s supporters over his own involvement in the case, added that the defender’s appeal did not mean his conviction did not stand.

He said it was now idle and that Maguire, who denies the charges and is currently appealing the conviction, would not be given a criminal record unless his appeal failed.

Following the lodging of that appeal, United said in a statement: “In accordance with the Greek judicial process, the filing of an appeal extinguishes the initial court verdict and nullifies the conviction.

“The appeal has been accepted and will lead to a full retrial in a more senior court. This means that Harry has no criminal record and is once again presumed innocent until proven guilty.

“Accordingly, he is not subject to any international travel restrictions.”

10 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

The short version is the guy who prosecuted our Harry says he is talking rubbish and that the BBC should have interviewed him properly.  
He is right.

I was very much (not that my opinion matters a jot) giving him the benefit of the doubt when this story broke. I didn't find it especially hard to imagine a recognisable footballer and millionaire getting targeted and abused on holiday, wouldn't have judged him for drinking and being (ahem) a bit impaired in his thinking, and thought it perfectly plausible that police would behave improperly. The more he talks, the more I think he's an idiot who has looked a gift horse in the mouth. 

Am I underestimating what the implications for him of not formally appealing would have been? It doesn't seem to me it would have had any lasting negative impact on his professional or personal life, so I cannot fathom why he has bothered with any of this. Indeed, this sort of BBC interview would make more sense to me if he'd not fought the conviction but wanted to do a little damage limitation. He's completely stitched himself up with this interview; there's now no room for nuance, for claiming misunderstandings and in-the-moment poor judgment. It's now either the Greek justice system is lying or Harry Maguire is. I can't see Harry Maguire winning that.

1 hour ago, thevelourfog said:

Am I underestimating what the implications for him of not formally appealing would have been? It doesn't seem to me it would have had any lasting negative impact on his professional or personal life, so I cannot fathom why he has bothered with any of this

Agreed.  Easy to have spun this as a kangaroo court and unfair, then quickly being eased back to Man U captain and England squad.  
Now it will hang over him for a couple of years before trial, won't be forgot, and potentially he could get a real punishment.  And you can't brush aside an appeal court as an overnight kangaroo court.  Meanwhile the Greek press will be sharpening their knives, and those stories will get reported back here too.

1 hour ago, thevelourfog said:

It's now either the Greek justice system is lying or Harry Maguire is. I can't see Harry Maguire winning that.

Quite.  Could be fun.

Ham   
30 minutes ago, JaneB said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53894486

Congrats to Chelsea Women :-)

Indeed although this was unfortunately an appalling advert for top level women's football. Sam Kerr with the worst performance I've seen from anyone in any shirt in years and the usual goalkeeping howler for our 1st.  

• Like 1