• Current Donation Goals

CFCnet Admin

Media / Press

chara   

There are so many Social Injustice issues in the World that to take the knee at a football or any sport occasion in "support" of a Political group and mimicking a completely different meaning gesture here (USA) really becomes a pointless action....I wonder how anyone would feel if suddenly a counter balance shirt "gesture" of say "National Front Matters" was emblazoned on Chelsea or any other team shirt?...... rightful condemnation would be poured on the gesture but a totally misunderstood or rather misinterpreted political gesture has been conned into the psyche of sports supporters....sorry, hate to seem unsupportive of some real issues, which I am not but where will this all lead?

Certainly very well paid sportsmen with crocodile tears over an issue is not a way forward for any issue......I applaud real action by Chelsea and other groups..including individual unheralded work, against racism at any level and support that in everyway.

• Like 2

JaneB   
33 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Is the FA interfering with US elections?  just asking.

No you misunderstand me Droy.  I didn't mean the FA are straying into heavier political stuff.  I meant BLM is about much more than anti racism.

But look, we're not meant to get too far into politics on here as we all know, but sometimes it's difficult when it interferes with football too much.

27 minutes ago, JaneB said:

No you misunderstand me Droy.  I didn't mean the FA are straying into heavier political stuff.  I meant BLM is about much more than anti racism.

But look, we're not meant to get too far into politics on here as we all know, but sometimes it's difficult when it interferes with football too much.

Sorry that was just an open tease.

But yes it is wrapped up with a lot of more complicated things.
Only one of which is supporting protests rights vs supporting law and order which is where the US election is going right now.

54 minutes ago, chara said:

There are so many Social Injustice issues in the World that to take the knee at a football or any sport occasion in "support" of a Political group and mimicking a completely different meaning gesture here (USA) really becomes a pointless action....I wonder how anyone would feel if suddenly a counter balance shirt "gesture" of say "National Front Matters" was emblazoned on Chelsea or any other team shirt?...... rightful condemnation would be poured on the gesture but a totally misunderstood or rather misinterpreted political gesture has been conned into the psyche of sports supporters....sorry, hate to seem unsupportive of some real issues, which I am not but where will this all lead?

Certainly very well paid sportsmen with crocodile tears over an issue is not a way forward for any issue......I applaud real action by Chelsea and other groups..including individual unheralded work, against racism at any level and support that in everyway.

I can only answer for myself, but I'd (as you say) criticise any National Front support or sympathies. But not for being political. I'd criticise it for the specific politics, for not being what I personally consider a good or just politics. And I think that's what the back-and-forth between myself and a few other posters has really been about, imo. I can accept that overt politics grates for people (it's one of the battlegrounds the last two or three big votes om this country has been fought on), but generally what grates most I think is overt displays of politics different to your own. Politics like your own don't get noticed, politics unlike your own is too much politics.

I'm being cheeky and glib, but if National Front sympathies are an opposite to BLM sympathies ... I don't think that reads well for anyone who doesn't want any more displays of BLM solidarity in PL football!

I do wonder how they'll phase it out now. There will be huge pressure on anyone not taking the knee, and from loads of angles; being accused of racism at the same time as becoming a bit of hero/martyr to people who'll project their own, likely stronger, motivations onto any such decision. Will it be a player, club or the league that calls time on it?

Edit: in fact, writing that last bit made me wonder ... Perhaps that last issue is exactly why it is still happening? That no one wants to be the one to end it?

Edited by thevelourfog

Ham   
13 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

I can only answer for myself, but I'd (as you say) criticise any National Front support or sympathies. But not for being political. I'd criticise it for the specific politics, for not being what I personally consider a good or just politics. And I think that's what the back-and-forth between myself and a few other posters has really been about, imo. I can accept that overt politics grates for people (it's one of the battlegrounds the last two or three big votes om this country has been fought on), but generally what grates most I think is overt displays of politics different to your own. Politics like your own don't get noticed, politics unlike your own is too much politics.

I'm being cheeky and glib, but if National Front sympathies are an opposite to BLM sympathies ... I don't think that reads well for anyone who doesn't want any more displays of BLM solidarity in PL football!

I do wonder how they'll phase it out now. There will be huge pressure on anyone not taking the knee, and from loads of angles; being accused of racism at the same time as becoming a bit of hero/martyr to people who'll project their own, likely stronger, motivations onto any such decision. Will it be a player, club or the league that calls time on it?

Edit: in fact, writing that last bit made me wonder ... Perhaps that last issue is exactly why it is still happening? That no one wants to be the one to end it?

That's not cheeky or glib.  

That's outrageous.

• Like 1

chara   

OK.in case I left any doubt the national front (lower case is deliberate) example was as far from an acceptable cause as I could come up with but as a POLITICAL entity BLM to me is not acceptable..as a social issue black lives matter is (as do all lives wherever they are.)

I am not sure how comprehensive the coverage of the appalling events here in so many places is in UK but I suspect the bias of the media is as unbalanced and glib as ever...going for the "sellable story" not the in depth coverage needed..correct me if I am wrong.....for me either every issue is addressed in sport or nothing except in individual attributable  media presentations..stand up and be counted either way not hide on one knee.

Enough from me...apologies to Jane and the forum for voicing my opinions but I will not watch the game I love until the "gestures" stop....highlights only and opinions here for me.Craven in many ways as I do care about my club.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, chara said:

I am not sure how comprehensive the coverage of the appalling events here in so many places is in UK but I suspect the bias of the media is as unbalanced and glib as ever

Imagine TV reporting all being MSNBC and CNN but Fox news not existing.
And in fact news on US is largely taken direct from those first two channels (and WaPo and NYT).

Gilets Jaunes and the HK black-shirts were similarly mis-reported (based on different agenda).

chara   
2 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

And in fact news on US is largely taken direct from those first two channels (and WaPo and NYT).

Gilets Jaunes and the HK black-shirts were similarly mis-reported (based on different agenda).

Thank you Droy........

9 hours ago, Ham said:

That's not cheeky or glib.  

That's outrageous.

Funny how you took exception to me cheekily pointing it out, but not the actual post it appeared in. It really obviously isn't the case that you're either pro-BLM or pro-NF or that there's much of a comparison to be made between them. That is literally the point I was making, so you've done well to take offence.

Apparently you can bear go read my posts after all.

9 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

Apparently we will soon be getting a Fox News of our own. Hooray?