• Current Donation Goals

CFCnet Admin

Media / Press

Ham   
21 hours ago, chara said:

Great post...sums it up....I do believe most people really don't care about the issues..read agendas....and accept people they know as individuals rather than :"catagories"

The flip side of "coming out" for a player would be the "activists" latching on to them as symbols and further muddying the waters..... 

44 minutes ago, King Kante said:

For sure, if a player comes out, then they would be expected to fully sign up to the 'progressive' agenda and be the poster boy for it. That and the nonsense on social media is a very good reason to want to keep your private life, private. This goes double if they're also not very political. 

Absolutely.  The public and media reaction to the first PL/high profile player coming out should be "yeah..... and?"

On 26/03/2021 at 10:32 PM, The_Ghost said:

It's a low blow - not only towards James Rodriguez but to anyone who has ever faced such challenges.

Completely this. I'd expect (assuming, and in fairness perhaps incorrectly, that he has never and is not struggling with gender) the rumour would hardly bother Rodriguez. It's the people in the general population rumours like this are harmful to. Must hurt to have such a struggle reduced to something jokes or accusations are made about.

Side note, I must be very out of touch ... This is the only place I've seen the rumour!

I also expect there are plenty of gay footballers, and that for some it won't be the potential (likely?) abuse that puts them off letting it be widely known, but becoming a cause celebre and public property. You'd just hope that those in their immediate club circles are supportive of them and my guess is that they often are.

53 minutes ago, King Kante said:

For sure, if a player comes out, then they would be expected to fully sign up to the 'progressive' agenda and be the poster boy for it. That and the nonsense on social media is a very good reason to want to keep your private life, private. This goes double if they're also not very political. 

And quadruple if they do have any political views!
And again - hats off to Rashford for picking such a safe but valid topic (free school meals) to back publicly.  

21 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

And quadruple if they do have any political views!
And again - hats off to Rashford for picking such a safe but valid topic (free school meals) to back publicly.  

Certainly whether or not poor children should be allowed by the state to go hungry is a difficult issue for culture war bellends to frame as creeping Marxism, but I think it's not quite right or fair to suggest Rashford identified and "picked" it as a "safe" topic. He's lived it. It picked him. And the usual suspects still attempted to character assassinate him over it. I could do with him having a much lesser goalscoring record against us, but have a lot of time for him.

Ham   
19 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

Certainly whether or not poor children should be allowed by the state to go hungry is a difficult issue for culture war bellends to frame as creeping Marxism, but I think it's not quite right or fair to suggest Rashford identified and "picked" it as a "safe" topic. He's lived it. It picked him. And the usual suspects still attempted to character assassinate him over it. I could do with him having a much lesser goalscoring record against us, but have a lot of time for him.

Whether he deserves a knighthood for being used as the poster boy whilst many people did the work in the background and pulled his strings is something else.

Look at the likes of Professor Noel Fitzpatrick (Supervet) with a Lifetime of incredible dedication and inventiveness. No gongs. 

The timing was right for a Rashford knighthood. 

23 minutes ago, Ham said:

Whether he deserves a knighthood ...

Sure it'll come as no surprise to anyone here that I'm no big fan of knighthoods, for people I respect or otherwise. 

Do any former Chelsea players have knighthoods? I might make an exception for Demba Ba.

chara   
20 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

Sure it'll come as no surprise to anyone here that I'm no big fan of knighthoods, for people I respect or otherwise. 

Do any former Chelsea players have knighthoods? I might make an exception for Demba Ba.

No...that's SaintHood!!!!

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Ham said:

Whether he deserves a knighthood for being used as the poster boy whilst many people did the work in the background and pulled his strings is something else.

You'll be saying Greta isn't Greta or Biden isn't Biden next  :)  Rashford chose to be THAT poster boy.

I wasn't arguing that he deserved a knighthood.  Or that he did a great deal than accept the issue.  It is all the issues that he must have passed on that he deserves credit for.

On 3/25/2021 at 9:07 PM, King Kante said:

Who is James Rodriquez? Do you mean James Rodriguez the Everton player? If so, I call BS as he would have needed to be on serious hormone treatment before he underwent the surgery. 

Gender reassignment doesn't necessarily mean they are gay/heterosexual it just means that they have changed their biological sex as they felt they have been born to the wrong body.

That so called prank has the loony element of their cross city rivals written all over it.

• Like 1

Ham   

https://www.sportbible.com/football/news-aftv-personality-claude-callegari-has-passed-away-20210330

All banter aside, this is very sad.  It's clear from the past that he's had his demons. 

He went back to AFTV after his last worrying episode and I remember thinking that the stress of football wasn't good for him.