• Current Donation Goals

CFCnet Admin

Media / Press

Three foreign GKs making a bit less sense now? Plus Blackman and Delac

I suppose you haven't seen my three recent posts in the squad thread?

One GK leaving, or not being registered for the CL, could be likely scenarios.

But to be fair, Torres, Salah, Romeu, Van Ginkel and Mikel doesn't make much sense either. None of those should be impossible to replace with HG players.

Surely the simplest thing to do, if we have one too many foreigners, is just not register Torres for Premiership or CL squads... if he's going to do a Bogarde and stay until his contract runs out, then let him... doesn't mean we have to play him! Maybe by January he'll get the message and **** off!

Sarin   

If Torres refuses to leave and we don't put him in the squad, it is just a massive financial hole for zero gain.
He isn't in the final year of his contract, so not playing him at all next season will make his already low value, completely disappear.
It would end up costing over ten million, for absolutely nothing of benefit at the club, and have him around causing problems the next few years.

Either he leaves, or we have to utilize him in some regard so that hopefully he will leave next season with some club coming in for him.

If I was the club at this stage, I would just do what I could to get him out, $10 million transfer to Atletico and subsidize his wages.
Anything that is not a pure loss of $10 million in wages and a player hating his life at the club, is a win at this stage.

Fernando isn't going to suddenly improve.

If Fernando simply won't go, it would make more sense to sell someone like Cech, Mikel or I would say Romeu except he just signed a contact, so that's not going to happen.
Really though, Torres should just pack his bags.

Edited by Sarin

Financial reasons vs professional pride...

It's sad to see a former £50m striker that struck terror into the hearts of defenders whittle away the final years of his professional career clinging onto a contract that lines his pockets.

It never has or ever will happen for him here at Chelsea - he just slides further down the slippery slope - meanwhile at Atletico and at L'pool (or Lol as I call them) he broke records....

Here, he just breaks hearts. Go Fernando, for footballs sake.

Holymoly   

Surely the simplest thing to do, if we have one too many foreigners, is just not register Torres for Premiership or CL squads... if he's going to do a Bogarde and stay until his contract runs out, then let him... doesn't mean we have to play him! Maybe by January he'll get the message and **** off!

Bookmark this post. Torres to be our player of the year for the upcoming season.

IIf I was the club at this stage, I would just do what I could to get him out, $10 million transfer to Atletico and subsidize his wages.

Anything that is not a pure loss of $10 million in wages and a player hating his life at the club, is a win at this stage.

If we were subsidising a player's wages while he played for another club, it would be more tax efficient for us to waive the fee altogether and reduce the subsidy instead. If the kind of transfer you suggest were to be agreed I'm sure this is the way we'd prefer to organise it. That said, I very much doubt there would be a fee involved at all. We can huff and bluff all we want but clubs know the situation we're in with regards to Nano so they're bound to play hard ball.

If Atleti were interested in Nando, their offer might be for something like a two year loan deal where they cover £15,000-£20,000 of his wages and pay no additional loan fee. It wouldn't surprise me if we've had that kind of offer but have turned it down. Rejecting such offers means we keep, and keep paying, a player whose contribution does not represent value for money but I'm afraid we have to take the hit. If we ever hope to negotiate effectively with any of these clubs we have to laugh at them and say no when they try to rip us off.

Edited by Bridgejunky

If Atleti were interested in Nando, their offer might be for something like a two year loan deal where they cover £15,000-£20,000 of his wages and pay no additional loan fee. It wouldn't surprise me if we've had that kind of offer but have turned it down. Rejecting such offers means we keep, and keep paying, a player whose contribution does not represent value for money but I'm afraid we have to take the hit. If we ever hope to negotiate effectively with any of these clubs we have to laugh at them and say no when they try to rip us off.

Yes - we are getting punished for our charity over Crespo and Veron years ago.

But on the other hand we have played tough over Malouda and it just cost us a years wages for a top player in a season when we could have done with him. Something similar may be brewing with Mikel (or not). Bertrand, Josh certainly (smiling interview recently about going on loan to Spanish Div 2 while quoted to be on 35k a week), and some would say Cech too. Kakuta for years now. I should say there is certainly £100k a week of young players we'd like off our wage bill if only someone would take them (and unlike Torres they add nothing to the first team effort).

To some extent it is just normal - most clubs have an expensive player not contributing much. Some will be earning twice the average, and some of those will be getting too much - much like most firms of professionals. I'm sure it is the same in a management consultancy, an Architect's office, and I know it is like that in banking.

No offense, but I think it's fantasy to suggest that any team would have the arrogance to offer such a deal. That is to cover 15K£ Of his 150K£ salary.

He is 30 years old, not 35. He is still a decent contributor to the team and also one of the most marketable players in the world. Let's not disrespect him this much.

Edited by Ibn Battuta

paulw66   

Torres is on 175k a week.......you would rather we pay 155k - 160k a week for him to play elsewhere and hence contribute literally zero, than 175k to play here.

That is mad. If the deal was nearer 50/50 I might be interested but saving £20k a week for a season or two is too small a contribution to the £9m a year we pay in wages

Torres is on 175k a week.......you would rather we pay 155k - 160k a week for him to play elsewhere and hence contribute literally zero, than 175k to play here.

That is mad. If the deal was nearer 50/50 I might be interested but saving £20k a week for a season or two is too small a contribution to the £9m a year we pay in wages

:) :)

Either I didn't express myself very well or you need to read my post again!