• Current Donation Goals

CFCnet Admin

Media / Press

paulw66   
15 hours ago, thevelourfog said:

I can't remember if there was a discussion about his conviction here and if I did what I said specifically. And I also have no idea what the Sun's editorial line on him is (and won't be checking their website). But I certainly will not be backing down on my view of him, conviction or not. That he might technically not be a rapist is the kindest thing I'd have to say.

Not being a rapist and being a rapist are really quite different things. 

1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

Exactly.  

A 35 goal season as a 23 year old.  4 in 7 after a 4 year gap (that is cool).  The middle of a fine career has been stolen from him.
5 clubs changed their mind about signing him after media pressure - even Grimsby who had previously signed Clayton MacDonald, who had been acquitted for the same offence in the same trial.

And his girlfriend.  She'd be quite entitled to walk away, or just say nothing.  To my mind though she has been incredible in backing him all the way.  

The Chad Evans case makes me physically sick. He was convicted in the media, with a bad boy footballer image he stood no chance. It wasn't even important whether he was actually guilty. Seen so many women who's said they'd back down if he was proved innocent. Somehow I can't see them doing it myself. 

He should sue for damages. Imagine how much money he's lost on this. Incredible. 

On 10/16/2016 at 9:40 AM, fillerywhereru said:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2016/oct/15/referee-anthony-taylor-manchester-united-liverpool

Clear attempt to influence a referees peforformance here by Liverpool sympathisers (note the accompanying photo of Pogba patting the refs head), but what is interesting is that the Mike Dean 2006 FA Cup thing is mentioned and the first part of the article implies Mark Halsey having a matey relationship with a Chelsea player (Gary Cahill) so even when we are not involved we are smeared by the nothing is too low mob from merseyside. Comments section is also interesting with a couple of mentions of Mr Deans performance at home to Sunderland in 2014, so if he could ref his friends or relatives team he could trip up their rivals for the title....some of the things coming out of the media at the moment have to serious question the integrity of the premier league!!

Jose's comments were more successful though. A number of Utd players deserved cards last night.

Tactics deployed by Jose were similar to ours when he was with us but the journos were falling over themselves to point out they were designed to stop liverpool doing their thing and how clever he was for this and perhaps he is creating a new Utd DNA. Makes you want to vomit!

10 hours ago, paulw66 said:

When put so meaninglessly glibly, well yeah. But if anything I would have thought this case perfectly sums up how little difference there can be between the two; it's not as if there's really much disagreement from any party involved about what happened that night, only technical arguments about the law.

If it is as simple as 'conviction = rapist', then Evans was a rapist for four years and now somehow isn't. Which obviously makes no sense. And it also fails to take into account some frankly horrifying reporting, prosecution and conviction rates that mean 'no conviction = not a rapist' logic does not follow. It is very, very clear that plenty of rapists don't have convictions for being a rapist and I would hope nobody would deny that is the case.

8 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

Exactly.   

Far from exactly, IMO. His girlfriend's family have behaved despicably towards a vulnerable young woman who it should be noted never made an accusation of rape, as has Evans and many of his friends and family members. I find myself more drawn to what she has lost in her life.

This will be my last word on the subject, though. I have a strong sense that I am alone on this forum on my views on this and doubt any good could come from arguing the point further. As I said, 'not technically a rapist' is as good as Evans gets IMO.

Edited by thevelourfog

^I think Clayton MacDonald's case clarifies a lot.  Another professional footballer at the time, but acquitted.  Not been in prison, and given a contract by clubs that turned Evans  down.  In sex and rape there are huge grey areas.  

Short of a new charge for the middle-ground (misogyny?) one sensible reaction is to treat a guilty verdict as proof of rape, and a not guilty verdict as proof of non-rape.  In which case a massive apology is owed to Evans.

The other sensible reaction is just to say that verdicts are just statements of probability and the change in verdict goes from probably yes to probably no, or probably beyond the red line to to probably just short of it.  Yes that justifies still throwing some mud at him now, but undoes all the justification for such a hard line by many at the time.

1 hour ago, thevelourfog said:

[SNIP]

I have a strong sense that I am alone on this forum on my views on this and doubt any good could come from arguing the point further. As I said, 'not technically a rapist' is as good as Evans gets IMO.

I'm with you all the way on this.

41 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

I'm with you all the way on this.

Are you the same bob singleton photographer who takes (what some might say) are sexualised images of women? ( if not then the following obviously doesn't apply) If so, then it could be argued that you are in some way complicit in both parties behaviour? Just a thought. 

Ham   
33 minutes ago, Patnevinswedge said:

Are you the same bob singleton photographer who takes (what some might say) are sexualised images of women? ( if not then the following obviously doesn't apply) If so, then it could be argued that you are in some way complicit in both parties behaviour? Just a thought. 

giphy.gif