• Current Donation Goals

CFCnet Admin

Media / Press

24 minutes ago, Liverlad said:

tI think it’s probably more football fans in general. This forum is full of talk how the FA/UEFA/world/media is against Chelsea, which from my point of view I just don’t see. You got a ridiculous equaliser given for you last week, which no doubt would’ve received “they’d never give Chelsea that” comments had it been against you.

To be fair it was 100% recognized as being entirely wrong and lucky on here, it was also extremely unusual but widely reported - whereas bad refs decisions are generally quite common and under reported.  The simple fact is that the other top 6 clubs do get half a dozen each a season like that - we get about 2, and about half a dozen fair ones chalked off by bad refs (or even bad VR).  And then the media reaction is always excessive when we get something right (partly because managers know they get media support if they make the right quotes)

You may recall this - 

Clear penalty - given to Chelsea, and moans for several seasons afterwards.

24 minutes ago, Liverlad said:

With Neville (and I agree he’s clearly he best pundit), you’ll see him give Liverpool credit for a win and view that as being “pro-Liverpool”, whereas I just see that as giving deserved praise. I’ll see him tweet laughing about Liverpool losing Champions League finals or hear him saying how he couldn’t stand Liverpool winning the league, and view that as “anti-Liverpool” (not to mention the history of what happened when he played against us). Whereas you’d see it, agree with it, and forget about it.

Yes Neville is unique, he observes as a neutral, but will then banter as a Manc, and he keeps the two separate.  Carragher is unable to observe as a neutral - or even consider anything from anyone else's point of view.
We all remember his orgasmic ullulululuu when Torres got the 2nd against Barca, he is more than able to enjoy the success of any English team.  Not many of us can do that.

But what Liverpool fans need to remember is that while Sky may never have seen Liverpool win the League plenty of fans have.  Liverpool were always the most disliked football team in the country, and still are - despite a pretty average record.  The love in at Sky with Liverpool contrasts sharply with what people at all but one club around the country think.  Everyone is cheering Man City on right now, even some Man U fans.

58 minutes ago, Liverlad said:

You got a ridiculous equaliser given for you last week, which no doubt would’ve received “they’d never give Chelsea that” comments had it been against you.

This is the issue for us though my friend . We got ONE decision and you're referring to it .

We got a correctly given penalty against WBA in a season where we had from memory fourteen legitimate shouts for "definite" penalties turned down and the media argued every one away because we always get those . 

Mourinho even had to go on Goals on Sunday to highlight why we were only getting penalties in Europe.

Ham   
1 hour ago, Mark Kelly said:

This is the issue for us though my friend . We got ONE decision and you're referring to it .

We got a correctly given penalty against WBA in a season where we had from memory fourteen legitimate shouts for "definite" penalties turned down and the media argued every one away because we always get those . 

Mourinho even had to go on Goals on Sunday to highlight why we were only getting penalties in Europe.

Someone said on here a few days ago that the Dave goal would be a stick to beat us with going forward on the subject of officials' decisions.

Didn't realise it would become a thing so quickly. 

1 hour ago, Ham said:

Someone said on here a few days ago that the Dave goal would be a stick to beat us with going forward on the subject of officials' decisions.

Didn't realise it would become a thing so quickly. 

I think it may have been me !

City described as brave by the BBC for picking a full strength side in every round of the FA Cup because St Pep really wants to win it .

No mention of the fact they've cheated FFP to be able to "afford" to buy two / three quality players for every position .

3 hours ago, Liverlad said:

With Neville (and I agree he’s clearly he best pundit), you’ll see him give Liverpool credit for a win and view that as being “pro-Liverpool”, whereas I just see that as giving deserved praise. I’ll see him tweet laughing about Liverpool losing Champions League finals or hear him saying how he couldn’t stand Liverpool winning the league, and view that as “anti-Liverpool” (not to mention the history of what happened when he played against us). Whereas you’d see it, agree with it, and forget about it.

I take your point on football fans in general but think this isn't quite right on Neville. He's a United man and supporter through and through, and very proudly shows it. But that's him as a person, and I don't see much of it in his analysis of games. He'll praise good performances and lay into United when that's fair. 

This is in complete contrast IMO to people like Carragher, and before him the likes of Graeme Souness and Phil Thompson. They aren't fans as well as pundits. They're fans who have been given microphones. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

City described as brave by the BBC for picking a full strength side in every round of the FA Cup because St Pep really wants to win it .

No mention of the fact they've cheated FFP to be able to "afford" to buy two / three quality players for every position .

Having 25 full strength players already registered makes it kind of difficult to play anyone else.

VAR proving an invaluable tool to manage results once more .

JaneB   

Not the walkover I feared it might be.  And they said we 'bought' our success.

(Anyone else hate the Grand National?  My heart breaks for the horses that always lose their lives at Aintree, and elsewhere)

19 minutes ago, JaneB said:

Not the walkover I feared it might be.  And they said we 'bought' our success.

(Anyone else hate the Grand National?  My heart breaks for the horses that always lose their lives at Aintree, and elsewhere)

Yep. I like horse racing and betting and loved it in Australia when I lived there. However, I can tell you that when Gee Armitage became the first woman to finish the National course, by quite visibly whipping her horse home from "the elbow", which is 484 yards from the finish line, she was castigated by the Australian sports media who were simply appalled by the horrific spectacle  and remarked that they had understood that Britain was supposed an animal loving nation!

They were absolutely right.

Today I backed the horse finishing second, Magic of Light, at odds of 200 on Betfair. A great effort and I was understandably enthralled. All the same I do agree with Jane that NH racing is a shameful abuse of animal welfare.