• Current Donation Goals

CFCnet Admin

Media / Press

1 hour ago, JaneB said:

(Anyone else hate the Grand National?  My heart breaks for the horses that always lose their lives at Aintree, and elsewhere)

I'll put my hand up for that, Jane. Hate the lot of it, including greyhounds, and all the tiny people involved in the 'industry'. Appalling cruelty that makes a mockery of claims we live in a civilised society.  The fact that people bet their hard-earned on the outcomes, is even more bizarre imo. Sadly though, I can't see it being stopped any time soon. 

6 minutes ago, Michael Tucker said:

Hate the lot of it, including greyhounds, and all the tiny people involved in the 'industry'.

A bit sizist.  Mind you it is the one ism I still can't overcome.

10 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

A bit sizist.  Mind you it is the one ism I still can't overcome.

So be it, then. Did I mention that I also can't stand the silly hats that they wear, or the fact that they all talk out of the side of their mouths, with a squeaky voice? Trainers, jockeys, commentators - all the same size, and dress identically. Appalling, the lot of them!

JaneB   
31 minutes ago, Michael Tucker said:

I'll put my hand up for that, Jane. Hate the lot of it, including greyhounds, and all the tiny people involved in the 'industry'. Appalling cruelty that makes a mockery of claims we live in a civilised society.  The fact that people bet their hard-earned on the outcomes, is even more bizarre imo. Sadly though, I can't see it being stopped any time soon. 

14 minutes ago, Michael Tucker said:

So be it, then. Did I mention that I also can't stand the silly hats that they wear, or the fact that they all talk out of the side of their mouths, with a squeaky voice? Trainers, jockeys, commentators - all the same size, and dress identically. Appalling, the lot of them!

^ ^

Never agreed more with anything on here since I joined.

12 hours ago, PeteRobbo said:

Yep. I like horse racing and betting and loved it in Australia when I lived there. However, I can tell you that when Gee Armitage became the first woman to finish the National course, by quite visibly whipping her horse home from "the elbow", which is 484 yards from the finish line, she was castigated by the Australian sports media who were simply appalled by the horrific spectacle  and remarked that they had understood that Britain was supposed an animal loving nation!

They were absolutely right.

Today I backed the horse finishing second, Magic of Light, at odds of 200 on Betfair. A great effort and I was understandably enthralled. All the same I do agree with Jane that NH racing is a shameful abuse of animal welfare.

An example of the hypocrisy of the betting/horse-racing industry:

Many, many years ago, I wanted to place a bet on how many horses would be put down as a direct result of the Grand National (it was my attempt at a dig at the whole thing). There was visible anger and contempt aimed at me by both staff and customers. OK, I said, what are the odds on the Queen Mother dying next month (I told you it was many, many years ago!)  I was offered 33-1

• Haha 1

paulw66   

Did anyone have the misfortune of watching Soccer Saturday? Those clowns spent what felt like an enternity discesting the Azpilicueta goal from last weekend. 

Whe Jeff Stelling asked "how on Earth the linesman got it wrong", whenever Le Tissier tried to make a case for the lino's view being blocked by Willian, he was shot down before he could get his sentance out. Oh, and they didn't show the foul on Rudiger at 0-0.

stofferc   
20 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Whe Jeff Stelling asked "how on Earth the linesman got it wrong", whenever Le Tissier tried to make a case for the lino's view being blocked by Willian, he was shot down before he could get his sentance out. Oh, and they didn't show the foul on Rudiger at 0-0.

Talking heads will be talking heads. It's funny because Sky made a big deal about Carragher using VR to show the linesman had no chance in spotting the offside exactly because Willian was blocking his view: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFIq5UPA-JM&feature=youtu.be

34 minutes ago, stofferc said:

Talking heads will be talking heads. It's funny because Sky made a big deal about Carragher using VR to show the linesman had no chance in spotting the offside exactly because Willian was blocking his view: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFIq5UPA-JM&feature=youtu.be

I can buy the idea that the lino couldn't see.   He made a clear mistake - it happens regularly enough.

But Carragher is an idiot.  He is saying the linesman has to move in line with Willian to guarantee his view is blocked.  If linos really did that, they'g get 9 out of 10 decisions wrong.  There is a guideline that says he should be in line with the last defender (so not with Willian anyway), but nothing to demand that being correctly positioned outweighs watching the game.

Why is Carragher still employed by Sky?  He is becoming the new Mark Lawrensen - I'm more puzzled by the fact he is still here than by what he says.

paulw66   
20 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

I can buy the idea that the lino couldn't see.   He made a clear mistake - it happens regularly enough.

But Carragher is an idiot.  He is saying the linesman has to move in line with Willian to guarantee his view is blocked.  If linos really did that, they'g get 9 out of 10 decisions wrong.  There is a guideline that says he should be in line with the last defender (so not with Willian anyway), but nothing to demand that being correctly positioned outweighs watching the game.

Why is Carragher still employed by Sky?  He is becoming the new Mark Lawrensen - I'm more puzzled by the fact he is still here than by what he says.

I think he is saying the lino has to move left to try and get in line with the last defender, but Willian moves in his way.

Could be a good future tactic - make sure your corner takers have big hair. Although VAR will ruin that. 

8 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

I think he is saying the lino has to move left to try and get in line with the last defender, but Willian moves in his way.

I know - but we all know that the last defender is in line with the penalty spot so he hasn't done that.  
And clearly Carragher has a problem with putting VR and "has to" together.  Only a robot or a Carragher would actually choose an inline view of nothing to a slightly out of line view of everything.

12 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Could be a good future tactic - make sure your corner takers have big hair. Although VAR will ruin that. 

Yeah the VR verson of Willian seems to have been a pastiche of a 1960s Robertsons jam label.  Willian's head and hair are not actually that big.