• Current Donation Goals

CFCnet Admin

Media / Press

Recommended Posts

11 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

The press have purposely diverted Sterling's complaints to be about Racism when the crux of his argument was how differently the press treat black people to white people. 

His issue is with them. 

I really don't have to think too hard to think of examples of the press treating something they like differently to something they don't,  you only have to see how they treat us in comparison to the rest of the league. 

The AK47 thing was in memory of his dad who was murdered I think to highlight the danger of guns. 

If it was down to me I'd make him England Captain just to pee them off. 

99% agreed; he also has, I think, completely reasonable issues with lots of football fans. And he has always expressed them perfectly reasonably. There's this idea across too much of the world but especially in football that racism is about saying bad words only, when it is obviously much more about how we instantaneously think about, judge and behave towards people. Sterling has, I think, done an excellent job of putting a mainstream focus on those ideas. For all their crowing about particular footballers or (what they decide to be representative sets of) supporters, institutions like The Sun and The Daily Mail are vilely racist.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, asvaberg said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-44285455

Nevertheless, it's tasteless.

Well perhaps , but we're not judging a person on the quality of their tattoos now are we ? If We are I'm going to have to not speak to one of my best mates ever again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
asvaberg   
Just now, Mark Kelly said:

Well perhaps , but we're not judging a person on the quality of their tattoos now are we ? If We are I'm going to have to not speak to one of my best mates ever again.

I know nothing about tattoo-quality - but I don't fancy any form of guns in football :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
synavm   

Has it really been proven that Sterling wasn't racially abused at Stamford Bridge? Things have improved lately, but its not like we don't have form for it. 

Sterling does have a point about racism in the media too. Whether it's conscious or unconscious, there is a bias there where black players are often characterised in ways white players wouldn't.

Les Ferdinand is chatting absolute guff with the whole 'throw them out the league' thing, though - just pure tabloid hysteria and fickleness. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ham   
28 minutes ago, synavm said:

Has it really been proven that Sterling wasn't racially abused at Stamford Bridge? Things have improved lately, but its not like we don't have form for it. 

Sterling does have a point about racism in the media too. Whether it's conscious or unconscious, there is a bias there where black players are often characterised in ways white players wouldn't.

Les Ferdinand is chatting absolute guff with the whole 'throw them out the league' thing, though - just pure tabloid hysteria and fickleness. 

 

One of the major newspapers called in lip-reading experts used by the police and they concluded that he said "Manc" and not "black". 

Add this to the fact that no charges have been brought and the press shift away from racial abuse to just "abuse" in the weeks following the incident and you have your evidence. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Stim   

Also the whole innocent until proven guilty and not the other way round. That's surely not just an american ideal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
synavm   
45 minutes ago, Ham said:

One of the major newspapers called in lip-reading experts used by the police and they concluded that he said "Manc" and not "black". 

Add this to the fact that no charges have been brought and the press shift away from racial abuse to just "abuse" in the weeks following the incident and you have your evidence. 

 

I can only see a Daily Mail article where lip readers quote what they find the other three said, not the accused. Do you have a link?

Charges not being brought really just means 'insufficient evidence', that isn't irrefutable proof that he didn't racially abuse Sterling. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jasonb   

I'm with Ham from what I recall at the time with regards the lip readers. I notice the media slightly moved to the story from not being about Sterling being racially abused to just talking about the abuse of Sterling. There was a subtle shift in the wording yet still painting CFC fans as nasty abusing brutes.

I agree another fan might have racially abused Sterling as a number had open mouths and am not aware of any lip reading analysis being done on them.

As regards the media targeting Sterling, I think that Kalashnikov tattoo on his leg was a very silly move. Drug gangs here don't use Kalashnikovs they use other weapons. Why did he pick the weapon used mainly by Islamic terror groups? I think he is a confused opinionated young chap, talented yet confused. A combination a savvy media will look to exploit to feed the perceived prejudices of its readership.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
paulw66   
2 hours ago, synavm said:

Has it really been proven that Sterling wasn't racially abused at Stamford Bridge? Things have improved lately, but its not like we don't have form for it. 

 

You've got the law the wrong way around. 

I can't prove you didn't racially abuse Sterling

Do you see where that falls down?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now