• Current Donation Goals

CFCnet Admin

Media / Press

14 minutes ago, fillerywhereru said:

The context of it was never mentioned either, Sterling had just wiped out David Luiz. Doesn't matter to the people in the media though all earning big wages, making judgements on others regardless of context and effect...

Wiping out Luiz doesn't count - never has, there are dozens of examples to prove that, half of them by City.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Wiping out Luiz doesn't count - never has, there are dozens of examples to prove that, half of them by City.

Mostly by Aguero

Zidane    16
23 hours ago, fillerywhereru said:

I guess with the Kick it Out they are predominantly aimed at Racist issues to be fair. With the fan in the Sterling incident, he was named, shamed and lost his job, is that really fair? Even supposing it was true and he did shout black C ? It's unpleasant, not the sort of bloke I would knock about with but do I wish him to have the anguish of worry about money, having to move perhaps, sell a car, lose his wife perhaps? He doesnt even get to watch his beloved team as his season ticket got taken away. All because of one spur of the moment bit of stupidness? 

What employer would want an idiot like that sullying their brand? 

I think your issue is more with the fact that the consequences around incidents like this are now market driven (which I'm grateful for).

Ham    833
2 hours ago, Zidane said:

What employer would want an idiot like that sullying their brand? 

I think your issue is more with the fact that the consequences around incidents like this are now market driven (which I'm grateful for).

If everyone who screamed obscenities at an opposing player during a volatile game after a nasty challenge was worthy of a sacking I think there would be plenty of jobs available and a lot of empty stadia.

I'm not saying that he behaved well but his employers would not have even known what he got up to that day had it not been for a wrongful trial by media.

• Like 1

Ham    833
Chelsea Fans Cleared Of Racially Abusing Manchester City's Sterling
chelseafconline.com
Chelsea FC Flag

The Chelsea fans who were accused of racially abusing Manchester City attacker Raheem Sterling will not face any prosecution. Fans of the Blues were accused of abusing the 24-year-old Sterling during the clubs 2-0 defeat against the Citizens at Stamford Bridge in December. The Blues went on to suspend four fans from attending games while investigating the incidents.

The Crown Prosecution service have announced that there is not sufficient evidence to prove that the words said by 60-year-old Colin Wing were racist in nature. City star Sterling has been subjected to racism throughout his career and has been outspoken in the right against discrimination in football.

As reported by The Mirror, a CPS spokesman said: “Having carefully reviewed the evidence, including advice from a lip reading expert, we have found insufficient evidence to prove that the words used by one of the individuals were racially aggravated.”

He was recently presented with the Integrity and Impact Award which was founded by Dow Jones Sport Intelligence by England manager Gareth Southgate at the BT Sport Awards last Thursday. Sterling becomes the second person to receive the award after Rachel Denhollander who spoke out against abuse from former US Gymnastics doctor Larry Nassar did so in 2018.

Sterling has been the central figure in a campaign fronted by UK publication The Times which has called for footballing authorities to have stricter measures for the way in which they tackle racism and to impose heftier sanctions on those who are found guilty of discrimination.

As a leading club in world football, Chelsea should also have a no tolerance policy towards racism as well as other discriminatory behaviour. If the Blues set the standards, there is a good chance that other clubs around the world will follow suit and this will improve the culture surrounding football on a global scale.

Ham    833

Just waiting for the mass media coverage...... Tick tock 

Ham    833

This is the reason people have an issue with Levene.

He doesn't understand;

1) That he's done anything wrong.

2) The impact of the media getting it wrong. 

Screenshot_20190428-131157_Twitter.jpg

thevelourfog    223
18 hours ago, Ham said:

This is the reason people have an issue with Levene.

He doesn't understand;

1) That he's done anything wrong.

2) The impact of the media getting it wrong. 

Screenshot_20190428-131157_Twitter.jpg

The reason people have an issue with Dan Levene is that he doesn't like being racially abused? 

Can't say I follow his every move, but it doesn't seem to me he has done much of anything wrong unless you want to claim that Chelsea FC have literally no problem with bigotry. Can't really see any 'impact', either... We've gone from being broadly disliked as a fan base to what, being broadly disliked as a fan base? 

I really doubt many people who follow PL clubs know who Dan Levene is. 

I get that he maybe has (or has had projected on to him) something of a self-righteous persona, but who cares tbh. 

• Like 1

synavm    17

I don't see the issue with Levene and actually he should be lauded for bringing attention to the issue. We've had racist chants for years and years - until relatively recently 'bring on Tottenham or the Arsenal' was a mainstay of our core chants every week (phased out due to our fanbase being educated on the offense it causes), the one about a poor little y**** only buying a lager for himself could be heard every now and then, the one about running around North London could be heard every now and then, ocassionally slurs will be chanted at ex-spurs players in addition to all this there's a lot of other nasty stuff that isn't overtly racial (Hillsborough songs, Heysel chants, the song about Jermain Defoe's brother). In the old so-bar I heard a lot, lot worse - I felt like I was at a National Front rally at times in there. 

I think Levene will be at pains to say it is a small minority - and it is. I think our fanbase deserves huge credit for the progress its made in rooting it out, we're better than the image projected by the minority of knuckle draggers in our ranks. I'm hoping to see a more positive atmosphere develop that is more focused on getting behind our team rather than singing about other teams all the time. 

• Like 1

paulw66    523

The issue with Dan Levene is he, like many others, have hung drawn and quartered the bloke who "abused" Sterling, and even though he has now been cleared, have no intention of apologising. 

Likeiwse reporting the club when one person sings the Y word, yet fails to comment on the fact that literally thousands of Spurs fans sing it every week, whilst taking a very silent approach on the Chelsea Rent boys chant that we hear almost weekly. 

He picks and choses what to be offended by to help promote his own agenda.

(and before someone says it, standing up against bigotry is obviously a good thing, but a bit of consistency wouldn't go amiss)